Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bears give Arizona and Atlanta permission to talk to Ron Rivera

Bears permit Cardinals, Falcons to talk to Rivera
    By Larry Mayer
    January 2, 2007

LAKE FOREST, Ill. The Arizona Cardinals and Atlanta Falcons have both requested and received permission from the Bears to interview defensive coordinator Ron Rivera for their head-coaching position.

In three seasons on Lovie Smiths staff in Chicago, Rivera has led a defense that ranks at or near the top of the NFL in several different categories. The unit scored a franchise-record and NFC-high six touchdowns in 2004, led the NFL in points allowed and ranked second in total yards in 2005 and topped the league with 44 takeaways this season.

A Bears linebacker for nine seasons from 1984-92, Rivera returned to the team in 2004 after spending the previous five years as linebackers coach under Andy Reid with the Philadelphia Eagles. Rivera started his coaching career as a quality control assistant on Dave Wannstedt's staff with the Bears in 1997-98.

Rivera told ChicagoBears.com last week that he would be excited if given the chance to become an NFL head coach but also enjoyed working under Smith in his current position.

More than anything, it most certainly would be a neat opportunity, it really would be, Rivera said at the time. I do know that Ive got a great job working for probably the greatest franchise in sports in a great city. Im very happy with it.

If I get the opportunity, great, so be it. But if not, its a great situation here. Ive got a great group of coaches I work with. I work for a very good head coach. Its just one of those things that if it happens, it happens. If not, maybe its not meant to be at the time.

Rivera interviewed last offseason with the Green Bay Packers and St. Louis Rams for head-coaching positions that were ultimately filled by Mike McCarthy and Scott Linehan, respectively. On Monday, the Cardinals fired Dennis Green and the Falcons let go of Jim Mora Jr., two coaches who began their tenures in 2004, the same year Smith was hired by the Bears.

NFL rules permit teams to interview assistant coaches who are still involved in the playoffs during the week between the end of the regular season and the start of the wildcard round.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Re: Bears give Arizona and Atlanta permission to talk to Ron Rivera

I think Rivera gets the Falcons job. Blank has made no secret that he wants a strong defense and a running team, and I think that's what Rivera will bring.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think Ken Whisenhunt would be the primary guy for the Falcons. He seems like a perfect fit with his offensive mind and Vick. That combo could do wonders for that team, but who knows what they're really searching for...Personally I couldn't care less.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I think no interviewing should be allowed with a playoff game waiting for the Bears. Winning this year should be the focus.

I guess Lovie can get a little bad karma back for his interviewing time when we were in the playoffs. Good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I think Ken Whisenhunt would be the primary guy for the Falcons. He seems like a perfect fit with his offensive mind and Vick. That combo could do wonders for that team, but who knows what they're really searching for...Personally I couldn't care less.
    I think that would be a good fit as well. Only thing is the owner Aurther Blank has stated many times that he wants a defensive minded coach to coach his team. That's why he hired Mora to start with, but look how that turned out.