Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Belichick's Bonehead Move

I find it interesting that few are talking about one move that Belichick made that arguably could have cost the Patriots the game.

3rd Quarter, up 7-3, 4th and 13 at the Giants' 31 yard line. Instead of going for a 49 yard FG, he goes for the first, and Brady throws incomplete in the end zone.

Can you imagine if... say... Mike Martz had made a call like that? He'd be ripped a new one.

Guess the Cheater is not such a genius after all.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Belichick's Bonehead Move

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I find it interesting that few are talking about one move that Belichick made that arguably could have cost the Patriots the game.

3rd Quarter, up 7-3, 4th and 13 at the Giants' 31 yard line. Instead of going for a 49 yard FG, he goes for the first, and Brady throws incomplete in the end zone.

Can you imagine if... say... Mike Martz had made a call like that? He'd be ripped a new one.

Agreed. That was a stupid call. I guess that's what happens when you don't know what the defense is going to do.

chiguy is offline Registered User

We'd be ripping Mad Mike, and he'd deserve it every bit as much as Bellichick does.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I was watching the game with another fellow Ram fan and both of us questioned the call. However, a bit later in the game one of the announcers apparently brought up the fact that the Patriorts' kicker was either 1 for 5 or 0 for 5 (I can't remember exactly as I was en route to the kitchen intent on helping myself to more guacamole) on anything over 45 yds. It is possible that this may have influenced Bill's decision. On the other hand the game was being played indoors with the elements being a non-factor. In any event -- Hooray for the Giants !!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have to believe, though, that the chance of making a 49 yarder (as you said, indoors w/no wind) is greater than picking up 13 yards against a team that is getting to the QB on almost every play.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I have to hand it to Belichick. He was just as classy and illuminating and charming in his post superbowl defeat interview as he is when he wins. What a clod.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I thought the same thing. I am just so happy that Belichick and the Patriots lost.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    I have to hand it to Belichick. He was just as classy and illuminating and charming in his post superbowl defeat interview as he is when he wins. What a clod.

LOL! Haaaaaa-ha-haa! Good one Chris.

Just as when he exited without worrying whether the game was officially over or not.

Bellichick + BONEHEAD = NEPs ... I agree, the 49 yard FG had better chances of putting some points on the board rather than going for 4th and one hundred.

Seems like many in the stadium [perhaps a majority?] were rooting for the NYG or at least wanting the Patsies to lose.

I think many were just tired of them, HC and all.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I strongly agree! This was a total bonehead move that I would be ashamed if our headcoach had made.

That's the Patriot's arrogance right there. They believe they can convert any down and distance on any team - they didn't even think about who they were facing. The Giants defense was awesome all night, the D-line got terrific pressure (never seen Brady getting hit so much, he finally got some dirt on his jersey the pretty boy), the secondary was providing great coverage too (too bad that one DB fell down on the Moss TD otherwise it wouldn't have been a completed pass). Belicheck needed a reality check, he should have looked at how well the Giants defense had played and acknowledged that he shouldn't take that kind of chance against that defense.

He was too arrogant and he paid for it. What a clown-move.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I was questioning the call also. I could understand the fact that Belichick was playing the field position game. But to go for a long pass instead of the FG attempt??? Must of been that Red hoodie he was wearing instead of the old torn gray one.:x

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The problem with the field position was that it would only have been what? five or seven more yards? The kicker was making them from 50+ in warmups.

Oh well, glad he didn't try it.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I was questioning the call also. I could understand the fact that Belichick was playing the field position game. But to go for a long pass instead of the FG attempt??? Must of been that Red hoodie he was wearing instead of the old torn gray one.:x
    Or maybe the fact that he didn't have Adam Vinatieri waiting in the wings?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think belichick did a TERRIBLE coaching job in this game, but i am not so sure on the field goal. Keep in mind the kickers longest fg all year was 45 yards. There is a HUGE difference kicking in a super bowl with all the pressure than kicking in warmups. This isnt like a martz decision where passing on the field goal with wilkins on the sideline would mean giving up three points.

I think the fact that the giants ran blitz after blitz and darth hoodie made no adjustments blocking wise is where he got outcoached and lost. Did anyone see even ONE draw play to try and slow up the blitz? He gave up on the running game too soon as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think belichick did a TERRIBLE coaching job in this game, but i am not so sure on the field goal. Keep in mind the kickers longest fg all year was 45 yards. There is a HUGE difference kicking in a super bowl with all the pressure than kicking in warmups. This isnt like a martz decision where passing on the field goal with wilkins on the sideline would mean giving up three points.

I think the fact that the giants ran blitz after blitz and darth hoodie made no adjustments blocking wise is where he got outcoached and lost. Did anyone see even ONE draw play to try and slow up the blitz? He gave up on the running game too soon as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

If this was the case and Bellicheat was so worried that his NFL kicker couldnt hit a kick longer than 45 yds then why not punt and pin the Giants deep and play the field position game? If it was 4th and 5 or shorter I would have been ok with that but 4th and 13 and going for it is just stupid and arrogant. I say there were only two options there punt or try the fg. Problem is Bellibore I'm sure was thinking no big deal thay cant beat us anyway.
    Just Fix It

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Was that really Belichick on the sidelines or was it an imposter? Namely Mike Martz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast