Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Belichick's Bonehead Move

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If this was the case and Bellicheat was so worried that his NFL kicker couldnt hit a kick longer than 45 yds then why not punt and pin the Giants deep and play the field position game? If it was 4th and 5 or shorter I would have been ok with that but 4th and 13 and going for it is just stupid and arrogant. I say there were only two options there punt or try the fg. Problem is Bellibore I'm sure was thinking no big deal thay cant beat us anyway.
    Bingo! rammiser is right, he should have punted if he didn't trust his kicker. Up 7-3 early in the third quarter and you take a chance on 4th and 13? That was just bad coaching, period. Ego took over and it cost the Patriots. This is the same guy who was going on 4th downs during the season with huge leads.

Maybe the Patriots may want to re-think their philosophy of not overpaying for key players, like clutch, future HOF, ice water in their veins kickers?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Ramiser, i agree with you. I was thinking of it in the context of field goal or no field goal, but having read your eloquent and well reasoned post, i have come around to your view. I still dont think it was a per se bad move to not kick the field goal, but if he didnt trust the kicker, he should have punted and tried to pin the giants down and play field position.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think the fact that the giants ran blitz after blitz and darth hoodie made no adjustments blocking wise is where he got outcoached and lost. Did anyone see even ONE draw play to try and slow up the blitz? He gave up on the running game too soon as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Actually the Giants were able to get most of all that pressure by just using primarily their front four. Oh sure they did from time to time mix in some blitzing, but that was most definitely the exception rather than the rule in this game. Bottomline: the Giants front four completely whipped the Patsies OL. And that, as they say, was the ballgame.

WHAT SAY YE?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think they got plenty of pressure with their blitz packages, but either way, the point is still the same. Darth Hoodie did NOTHING to make adjustments to deal with the pass rush, including keeping extra guys in to block if needed or potentially running the ball more. You are correct, the defensive line decided the game for the giants, but hoodies failure to make any adjustments really cost them.

That being said, if i was a patriots fan, i would think i lost the game on the dropped INT by assante samuels at the end of the game. That should have ended it all. It hit him in the hands, he is an all pro and with the super bowl on the line, he has to make that play. End of story.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12