r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Kurt Warner Has Every Reason To Retire Now

Kurt Warner has every reason to retire now

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/18/2010

When Kurt Warner got mashed into the ground on a vicious but clean hit by New Orleans defensive end Bobby McCray, I automatically assumed the worst.

That's it.

We've just seen the end of Kurt's career.

And what a horrible, depressing way for him to go.

What were we supposed to think? Warner was rolling around on the turf, eyes blinking. He seemed disoriented. He was in pain. He's 38 years old. He's endured multiple injuries in his career, including five concussions. The Saints were already up by two touchdowns in the second quarter of this NFC playoff game, and would go on to win by 31.

When Warner threw that interception, looked to make a tackle, and ended up blind-sided by McCray, it appeared to be the final blow.

Fortunately, the immediate repercussions weren't as severe as feared. Warner was shaken up, but returned in the second half. That's good, but it still doesn't ease the big-picture fears and the concerns over Warner's long-term health and future.

I hope Warner will walk away from the game. What else does he have to prove? I believe he's already done enough to warrant selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Just look at a partial list of all that he's accomplished since entering the NFL with the Rams in 1998: Two-time league MVP with the Rams; Super Bowl MVP and championship with the Rams; three-highest passing-yardage days in Super Bowl history; 52 300-yard games; the only NFL quarterback to throw 100 touchdown passes for two teams; nine postseason victories; the second-best passer rating (102.8) in NFL postseason history; and guiding two down-and-out franchises to the Super Bowl.

There's nothing left for Warner to gain, but he has much to lose. Kurt and wife Brenda have seven children at home. As Warner told me in an interview earlier this year, he wants to be healthy and vibrant and immersed in their lives.

Warner wants to enjoy being a grandfather some day — and without limitations brought on by football-related debilitation. Warner has given 11 years of his life to the NFL but says he wants to be sure that the best years of his life to go to his family.

And it won't be easy for Warner to continue rebounding from injuries. After all, it took him a few years to recover from the hand injuries, concussions and harsh beatings he took in St. Louis before finally regenerating his career in Arizona. And Warner was younger then. He'll be 39 if he chooses to play the 2010 season.

Last fall, the results of a preliminary study commissioned by the NFL indicated that former NFL players have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease or similar memory-related diseases at a dramatically higher rate than the national average.

This is a brutal sport. Last week, Warner told reporters that he's noticed the way defensive players seemed to be taking more swipes at his helmet. Defenders aren't stupid; Warner has a history of concussions and if you want to stop the Cardinals the best way is to knock No. 13 out of the game.

So why would a vulnerable Warner continue to put himself at risk?

After Saturday's loss, Warner confirmed that he's considering retirement.

"I have some ideas in my head," Warner said during the postgame news conference. "But you want to get away from the season for a minute and make sure what you're feeling stays that way. But I don't think it will be a long process."

As Brenda Warner told the New York Times this week, the decision is between "Kurt and God." But based on previous comments, she'd undoubtedly favor retirement. Seeing Brenda's televised reaction to the on-field violence in Saturday's game only reinforced those thoughts.

Commenting to the NY Times about the concussion that her husband suffered at the Edward Jones Dome in November, Brenda said: "I would give every dime I've ever seen in my life to take that one blow to the head back. It does change your perspective."

Sunday morning on the NFL Network, Marshall Faulk offered a prediction on his close friend and former teammate.

"Knowing Kurt, I'm going to say that this is probably it for Kurt," Faulk said. "Kurt is a competitor. But he understands that he has a family at home. And all of the head trauma that we now have data about — about guys having concussions, having dementia, and all of the other problems when you're done playing ...

"I'm pretty sure that Kurt and Brenda are weighing this. He's going to have that discussion with her, and I think this year Brenda's going to win."

Warner is in position to do so many valuable, meaningful things with the rest of his life. And that could be through his ministry work, his desire to help the poor, his devotion to children, his motivational speaking or many charitable causes. One Arizona columnist recently suggested that Warner could become president of the United States if he wanted.

Hey, I wouldn't rule anything out with this man. Warner is a true American original. But to fully realize all of his post-football goals, he must be healthy.

And if Kurt Warner can walk from the NFL with his mind and body intact, it'll be the greatest triumph of his career.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Kurt Warner Has Every Reason To Retire Now

Kurt,do the right thing and step away before something bad happens,you have given Rams fans something we had never had and may never see again for a very long time,you have played yourself into the Hall Of Fame and now it's time to kick back and enjoy all the things your success has brought you and oh yea spend more time with that hot wife of yours.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    Kurt,do the right thing and step away before something bad happens,you have given Rams fans something we had never had and may never see again for a very long time,you have played yourself into the Hall Of Fame and now it's time to kick back and enjoy all the things your success has brought you and oh yea spend more time with that hot wife of yours.
    couldn't agree anymore

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

More breaking news from Bermie.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Brenda Warner isn't that hot, but then again I'm 17 and most of y'all must be in your late 30s or early 40s but I don't blame ya, I guess I'd say the same thing if I was your age but I'll have to admit she looks much younger than she does 10 years ago on this pic.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Now back on topic, Kurt Warner should retire if he wants a better well being, that hit was just bad for a 38 year old and he's already seen the promised land with us. But if he wants to stay, I'm not complaining.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Brenda Warner isn't that hot, but then again I'm 17 and most of y'all must be in your late 30s or early 40s but I don't blame ya, I guess I'd say the same thing if I was your age but I'll have to admit she looks much younger than she does 10 years ago on this pic.
    I agree ,hot may be pushing it a bit but compared to what we were used to when Kurt first got here,she has changed quite a bit and for the better.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I agree ,hot may be pushing it a bit but compared to what we were used to when Kurt first got here,she has changed quite a bit and for the better.
    I guess "hot" is relative, but she looks great to me.

As for Warner, I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he'll retire. That game against the Saints had to be a wake-up call.

turstev is offline Registered User

Also have to say that Brenda looks much hotter than 10 years ago, I think the haircut made her look really old, now the long blonde hair makes her look fresh and younger.

And yeah, Kurt Warner had such a great career, he won the Super Bowl, I would have retired, too, if I were him, football is a tough sports, you can get easily injured, especially a quarterback.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-16-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: No links, please read the rules