Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Bills Acquire DT Darwin Walker From Philly for LB Takeo Spikes

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10089821

Apparently it was Spikes and Kelly Holcomb for DT Darwin Walker.

I'm not sure what the rundown is on Walker, but it seems like the Bills won't be taking a NT with the 10th pick. Are they targeting LB? Willis, Timmons?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Bills Acquire DT Darwin Walker From Philly for LB Takeo Spikes

its apprantly Takeo Spikes and Kelly Holcomb for Darwin Walker and an undisclosed draft pick:

Eagles | Team acquires Spikes and Holcomb
    Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:44:40 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Philadelphia Eagles have acquired Buffalo Bills LB Takeo Spikes and QB Kelly Holcomb in exchange for DT Darwin Walker and an undisclosed draft pick.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    March 26, 2007 for defensive tackle Darwin Walker and a conditional draft pick in 2008.
    AP - Mar 26, 9:38 pm EDT

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Eagles acquired Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb from the Buffalo Bills on Monday night for defensive tackle Darwin Walker and a conditional draft pick in 2008.

"This is something that has been brewing," Bills general manager Marv Levy said. "Takeo is a good person, but we wanted to strengthen our defensive tackle. They've been looking for a linebacker and I think they wanted an experienced backup quarterback."

A nine-year NFL veteran, Spikes was slow recovering last year from a right Achilles' tendon tear he suffered in Week 3 of the 2005 season. He's scheduled to make $9.5 million ($4.5 million this season) over the final two years of the six-year contract he signed after joining the team as a free agent.

Spikes played his first five seasons with Cincinnati and had been seeking a contract extension with Buffalo. But he grew increasingly frustrated playing for a team that's constantly shuffling its roster and coaching staff, and has gone seven seasons since last making the playoffs.

Spikes, a former first-round pick, could be a big upgrade at linebacker for the Eagles, who have struggled at that spot the past few seasons.

Dhani Jones has never been the playmaker the Eagles needed and Matt McCoy struggled last season before losing his job to Omar Gaither. The Eagles also lost free agent Shawn Barber to Houston.

"Takeo Spikes is a proven playmaker in the National Football League," Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said. "He has the ability to play all three linebacking positions and were happy to add him to our defense."

Spikes had 11 starts in 12 games last season, while missing four with a hamstring injury after he was hurt in Buffalo's season-opener at New England. He finished with 76 tackles, one sack and a forced fumble, modest numbers for a two-time Pro Bowl selection.

He's the second high-profile Bills player to be traded this offseason and also the second starting linebacker the team has lost. Buffalo dealt running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore and linebacker London Fletcher signed with Washington earlier this month.

Walker started 15 games and was tied for second on the Eagles with six sacks, and had 56 tackles. Three of his sacks came Oct. 8 against Dallas, and he tied an Eagles postseason record with two sacks in a loss at New Orleans.

With the addition of Walker, the Bills bolster what had been an inexperienced defensive tackle position last season.

Besides veteran Larry Tripplett, Buffalo went with a young rotation led by rookie fifth-round pick Kyle Williams and second-year veteran Tim Anderson. The line also experienced a setback when defensive tackle John McCargo, the second of Buffalo's two first-round picks, was lost for the season after he broke his left foot in Week 5.

Holcomb has made 21 starts over an 11-year career. He joins A.J. Feeley on the quarterback depth chart behind Donovan McNabb. Holcomb did not play last season, but completed 155 of 230 passes for 1,509 yards with 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions in 2005.

Holcomb proved expendable in Buffalo after J.P. Losman won the starting job in training camp following an off-season long three-way competition between Holcomb and third-stringer Craig Nall. That was a considerable step for Losman, who was twice benched in 2005 in favor of Holcomb.

Losman then showed gradual progress last season, leading the Bills to a better than expected 7-9 finish. Losman showed particular improvement over the last half of the season, when the Bills won four of their last seven games.

That was enough for coach Dick Jauron to name Losman the starter heading into next year. The Bills have also expressed confidence in Nall taking over the back-up job.

AP Sports Writer John Wawrow in Buffalo, N.Y. and AP Football Writer Dave Goldberg in Phoenix contributed to this story.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

this is good for us, with the Bills losing two LBs and improving the DT spot its possible they will look elsewhere then draft a DL just ahead of us in the draft

itsguud is offline Registered User

This is a ridiculus trade. Amazing for the Eagles. As if they needed a stronger D anyway. Stating to look like the Bears, but with a QB who can spell his own name.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I kinda of suspect the top targets for Buffalo will be a running back (Lynch) to replace McGahee, a linebacker (Willis) to replace Fletcher, or a cornerback (Hall, Revis) to replace Clements. The dark horse target could be a receiver (Ginn, Meachem) to play opposite of Lee Evans.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I guess this means McNabb's job is still wide open

general counsel is offline Registered User

My friend the maniac bills fan thinks that they are going to take willis. He is very very serious about his bills, like we are with the rams, i give great credence to his opinion.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Whoever the Bills draft, he better make some sort of impact.

I am from Upstate NY, right in the heart of Bills country. Lets just say the locals around here are none too pleased with the team giving up 4 of their biggest names (Clements, Fletcher, McGahee, Spikes).

general counsel is offline Registered User

cfh, i appreciate that you are losing some bigs names, but isnt reggie mckenzie in great shape and reporting to camp this year? That should ease the pain a bit.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

cfh128 is offline Registered User

GC, dont be fooled. I am far from a Bills fan. I was born a Rams fan and I will remain that way as long as I live.

Most of us here know a bit more than the casual NFL fan. Regardless of the strides made by JP Losman, or the impressive play of Aaron Schobel, or however many long bombs Lee Evans caught, when 4 of the biggest names on the team are lost in one offseason there will be an uproar.

Personally I love it. I can't stand the Bills. Being a Rams fan in NY isn't easy. I'm lucky if I can see 2 of our games on TV per season. When the Bills play bad, ticket sales go down, and the blackout rule comes into effect (which happened quite a few times this past season). As mean as it may sound, it was a breath of fresh air to me to see some new games on TV every week that didn't involve the Bills getting beat down yet again. I always hope for one of the interconference games to steal their spot, because I like to keep tabs on the NFC... especially the NFC west... and most especially the Rams.

Of course, if all else fails, the bars have both the Rams and cheap beer... so who's complaining?
    Last edited by cfh128; -03-29-2007 at 04:06 AM.

itsguud is offline Registered User

What are the blackout hours?

I kind of like the Bills. As a team with a nice bit of youthful talent. I'm not sure why they just gave up all these names unless they think they can find better younger players for cheaper, or perhaps they need to drop some salary?