Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Blackmon arrested for DUI

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Blackmon arrested for DUI

Being a Jaguar can put a toll on you, even when you haven't started a game.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    .15 is the legal threshold in oklahoma. That is much higher than in many other states. THis is not as simple as in states like georgia where its .08. .15 means you should be feeling it, its not a couple of beers.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Just for context, the legal limit here in Australia is .05.

That's plain stupid, no matter which way you cut it. If you blow five times the limit in this part of the the world, as Blackmon would have, you're looking at serious charges. It's lucky nobody was hurt.

Also, I feel like if I drank myself to .24 I'd be bordering on dead.

general counsel is offline Registered User

fyi, i have been on the jaguars message board. Those fans are not happy and i can't blame them.

I now understand that oklahoma has a .08 basic DUI law, but aggrevated DUI (which is what blackmon is nailed for) is more than .15 over the legal limit. The initial reports on this were a little confused, but now its clear.

.05 in australia? That is incredibly low.

By the way, i read that for a 200 pound man to hit .24, they would have to consume about 13 drinks (not beers) without food. Nice friends of his letting him get behind the wheel at 3am in that condition.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Brockers keeps looking better

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Let's not engage in revisionist history here. Fisher and Snead were taking Blackmon with the 6th pick had he been available. I believe it was an article by Mike Sando that described activity in the war room that revealed Jeff Fisher was completely pissed- even throwing out the 'f-bomb" when Jacksonville traded up and selected him. The Rams then went with plan B.
    You're right, but it was Michael Silver. It's a great read.

And it definitely confirms that Blackmon would have been the selection were he available, so that's two NFL teams including the Rams that were comfortable enough with his character to make him a Top Six pick.

That suggests to me that this was just a colossal mistake from an otherwise good guy rather than evidence of an individual with questionable or poor character who managed to fool two organizations. Hopefully Blackmon gets his act together and starts behaving like a professional so he can maximize his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    By the way, i read that for a 200 pound man to hit .24, they would have to consume about 13 drinks (not beers) without food. Nice friends of his letting him get behind the wheel at 3am in that condition.
    According to Mike Sando (NFC West ESPN blogger)...

A man weighing as much as Blackmon (207 pounds) might have to consume 16 beers over a three-hour period to approach a .24 percent blood-alcohol reading. Consuming 24 beers -- a full case -- over an 11-hour period could produce a similar result, according to one online calculator. Other calculators produce slightly different results depending on a range of factors. A calculator provided by the Office of Alcohol and Drug Education at the University of Notre Dame says 14 shots of 80-proof liquor over a two-hour period could produce a .24 percent reading in a 207-pound man.
    Last edited by Nick; -06-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    According to Mike Sando (NFC West ESPN blogger)...

A man weighing as much as Blackmon (207 pounds) might have to consume 16 beers over a three-hour period to approach a .24 percent blood-alcohol reading. Consuming 24 beers -- a full case -- over an 11-hour period could produce a similar result, according to one online calculator. Other calculators produce slightly different results depending on a range of factors. A calculator provided by the Office of Alcohol and Drug Education at the University of Notre Dame says 14 shots of 80-proof liquor over a two-hour period could produce a .24 percent reading in a 207-pound man.
    Um, wow. Just wow. That is a LOT of alcohol. I'm surprised he could turn on his car. Incredibly dangerous, he's lucky he or someone else isn't hurt or worse.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

That suggests to me that this was just a colossal mistake from an otherwise good guy rather than evidence of an individual with questionable or poor character who managed to fool two organizations. Hopefully Blackmon gets his act together and starts behaving like a professional so he can maximize his talent.
    I don't know Nick, I think Blackmon did fool two organizations. I'm sure he said all the right things, as he did after his first DUI arrest, but he certainly didn't follow through. He implored people to give him another chance, that it wasn't who he was, that he was embarrassed and was going to learn from it, but then goes out and proved an inability to live up to his pledge, and exhibit extremely bad judgement and seriously wreckless behavior, again. He put peoples lives in jeopardy and risked a multi-million dollar career. I think it's safe to say if this happened before the draft, he would have dropped like a rock.

I too hope he can get his act together because I do think he is good guy, but in addition to his legal issues, he could very well have some serious drinking problems. Your average drinker doesn't get multiple DUI's and consume enough alcohol to blow a .24. That's just nuts. I have no doubt he'll be required to go through counciling and treatment, and IMO he needs it.
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Let's not engage in revisionist history here. Fisher and Snead were taking Blackmon with the 6th pick had he been available. I believe it was an article by Mike Sando that described activity in the war room that revealed Jeff Fisher was completely pissed- even throwing out the 'f-bomb" when Jacksonville traded up and selected him. The Rams then went with plan B.

With some of the guys we selected, no one should be throwing stones. We can only keep our fingers crossed that similar trouble doesn't find us in the coming year.
    I think it's with any player you draft period. I'm not going to say these guys are young give them a pass... They are human and people make poor choices all the time.

When the Rams loaded up on draft picks and passed on what some called the elite six, they where hammered. How could they not get one of the elite six? There is no guarantee that any draft pick will perform well, work hard, stay out of trouble ect. There is a better chance that 5 of the top draft picks in the first 50 picks have an impact then just one IMO.

Could you imagine if this was RGIII, who just made a poor decision.

The Jags gave up a 1st and 3rd to get a guy that had a DUI in college and before the ink had been added to his pro contract he has another one. That has to be scary for the Jags FO, I disagree with those that say he did not deceive the Jags he did. Getting hammered I have no issues with that, driving drunk no matter who you are is a crime. If Blackmon had done this one month before the draft do the Jags move up to get him? Where does he get drafted then, before or after Jenkins? Would we have taken him then?

As far as the Rams having the same issues, I'm not throwing stones I know it a possibility.... any player on our team can disappoint they are all human.

I can't believe you said that... Two DUI and he does not have poor character c'mon. He could be dead today... he could have killed someone Sunday. The fact that he got pulled over may have saved lives maybe his own... The guy has issues beyond poor judgment. IMO
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-04-2012 at 01:00 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am really focused on the .24 more than the second offense. The second offense is a very big deal to me, but less of a big deal than a .24. As .24 is so off the charts smashed that it is beyond the scope of rationale behavior, let alone for someone with a prior offense.

I think Dez hit .24 once after consuming several gallons of Haggis, but fortunately, he was not behind the wheel at the time, only in his living room.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Uhh, no. Not even close.
    And what warrants that? Janoris Jenkins smoked weed, big deal. Blackmon put his life and professional career at risk. Just because the media portrays as Blackmon as some angel that had a DUI because he was "young", "immature", and "dumb" everyone buys into it. Obviously he proved the world wrong.

When Jenkins is caught smoking weed? (Legal in many places, and I can guarantee you it's not a PED) he gets crucified. He had 4 kids by 3 woman. Yes that is stupid. And his problems were re-occuring, but whats the difference between the two? Janoris Jenkins is portrayed as some sort of devil and is the poster boy for "off the field" character concerns when what Blackmon did was a lot worse.

I know I'd much rather have a pothead than Blackmon 6 feet under in a box of wood...
    xkidflowx likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't know Nick, I think Blackmon did fool two organizations.
    This second offense is certainly a huge disappointment to those who thought highly of him, but to say he intentionally deceived two NFL organizations about the type of person he is? Yeah, I just don't know about that one.

Maybe I'm too willing to give prospects I like the benefit of the doubt (see: last year's Suh thread), but I think (hope?) he just made a big mistake. Who knows, I could be wrong. Time will tell how Blackmon responds to this. If it continues to be a pattern, he'll start to lose my benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I can't believe you said that... Two DUI and he does not have poor character c'mon.
    You said it yourself - people are human and make poor choices. Poor decisions do not necessarily equate to poor character, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    And what warrants that?
    A longer list of off-the-field issues and arrests.
    Last edited by Nick; -06-04-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Clarifying response

This second offense is certainly a huge disappointment to those who thought highly of him, but to say he intentionally deceived two NFL organizations about the type of person he is? Yeah, I just don't know about that one.

Maybe I'm just too willing to give people the benefit of the doubt (see: last year's Suh thread), but I think (hope?) he just made a big mistake. Who knows, I could be wrong. Time will tell how Blackmon responds to this. If it continues to be a pattern, he'll start to lose my benefit of the doubt.
    Let's face it, Blackmon said he wanted to redeem himself and prove that this was not who he was, his words. He repeated the same behavior, proving to me at least, that it WAS who he is. He was rewarded with a second chance, a reprieve from a serious, life threatening act, and chose to do it again. I have no doubt he told NFL teams the same thing he said after his first DUI, so he either fooled two organizations, or can't control his behavior. Either way, I see a problem. I'm just glad it's not the Rams' problem.

You said it yourself - people are human and make poor choices. Poor decisions do not necessarily equate to poor character, IMO.
    I agree with poor decisions do not necessarily equate to poor character... How many millionaire athletes are broke once they stop taking home huge paychecks. That's poor decisions that don't equate to bad character. Maybe I'm being judgmental here. In this case I think it does reflect poor character. He just spent months interviewing with owners and told them what they wanted to hear. The issue of his first DUI should be fresh in his mind after just interviewing to get drafted.

Either he's as dumb as a rock, has a serious drinking problem or just does not care about anyone but himself.... I think it's the latter. It's being reported he called in sick that day and canceled an autograph appearance, but went out drinking instead.

Like you said we shall see, I hope he can pull it together.

I'm also glad he's not a Ram issue.

He was rewarded with a second chance, a reprieve from a serious, life threatening act, and chose to do it again.
    It's worth noting that, according to a Tulsa report about his first incident in 2010, Blackmon was not subjected to Breathalyzer or blood test because there was no suspicion of DWI. It sounds as if it was more of an issue about him being under-age.

so he either fooled two organizations, or can't control his behavior.
    My guess would be it's closer to the latter, and that as a 22-year-old young man, he made a really bad decision. Again, perhaps I'm mistaken. Only time will tell. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and a good support system to keep himself out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Either he's as dumb as a rock, has a serious drinking problem or just does not care about anyone but himself....
    Or, as you said eariler, he's human and he made a poor choice.
    Last edited by Nick; -06-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Justin Blackmon pleads not guilty to misdemeanor DUI

Jacksonville Jaguars rookie wide receiver Justin Blackmon pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor aggravated DUI charge in Stillwater, Okla. on Monday.

The not-guilty plea was entered and posted on Blackmon's court docket, which is viewable on the Oklahoma state court's website.

A hearing has been set for 10:30 a.m. CT on July 24, three days before the Jaguars begin training camp. Blackmon faces up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, but Vince Stellino of The Florida Times-Union reported it's unlikely that Blackmon will serve jail time.

Blackmon left the courtroom surrounded by friends, according to The Associated Press. Cheryl Ramsey, Blackmon's attorney, Cheryl Ramsey, declined to comment. The Jaguars are trying to learn more about the arrest and had no comment, a team spokesman told the AP on Sunday.

Blackmon, 22, was officially charged with one count of aggravated DUI on Monday morning following his arrest early Sunday in Stillwater, where he played college football at Oklahoma State. To qualify for an aggravated DUI, an individual's blood-alcohol level must be above .15. Blackmon was booked into Payne County Jail on Sunday morning after admitting to consuming alcohol and registering a blood-alcohol level of .24, which is three times the legal limit of .08. According to the affidavit, the second test sample registered a .26, the Tulsa World reported.

According to the affidavit, which also is viewable on the state court's site, Blackmon's breath smelled of alcohol and he admitted to the officer who stopped him that he had been drinking.

During his career at Oklahoma State, Blackmon was suspended for one game during the 2010 season after being arrested on a DUI complaint in Carrollton, Texas. Though Blackmon, a first-round draft pick, has yet to sign an NFL contract, he is subject to discipline under the NFL's drug and personal-conduct policies.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.

It's worth noting that, according to a Tulsa report about his first incident in 2010, Blackmon was not subjected to Breathalyzer or blood test because there was no suspicion of DWI. It sounds as if it was more of an issue about him being under-age.
    This from an ESPN article:

Blackmon was arrested at 3:45 a.m. after officers used radar to determine he was driving 92 mph in a 60 mph zone along Interstate 35 in Carrollton, Texas, police spokesman Dustin Bartram said.
    The officer performed a field sobriety test on the 20-year-old Blackmon. Under Texas law, drivers under 21 can be arrested for having any detectable amount of alcohol in his or her system and Blackmon fell into that category, Bartram said.]
    Again, Blackmon was given a reprieve after a dangerous error in judgement, a reprieve he obviously did not take seriously, despite promises to the contrary.

I have no animosity towards him, and hope he gets the guidence he needs to put his life back on track.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast