Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Blackmon arrested for DUI

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Blackmon arrested for DUI

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Or, as you said eariler, he's human and he made a poor choice.
    Did I say that, well I'm also human LOL and have changed my position after reading he was supposed to be representing the team that drafted him, signing autographs for fans that will pay him a huge salary by paying to watch him play. After a hard few weeks of OTA's he thought is would be best to call in sick and go out and have, I don't know 12-14 beers.

Stupid, Drinking Problem or Selfish? That's where he is in my mind.

By the way he pleaded not guilty... so maybe I will have to say my bad when it's all a big misunderstanding.
    RealRam likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This from an ESPN article:
    The officer performed a field sobriety test on the 20-year-old Blackmon. Under Texas law, drivers under 21 can be arrested for having any detectable amount of alcohol in his or her system and Blackmon fell into that category, Bartram said.
    So ESPN seems to confirm his first arrest was primarily because he was under-age, thanks for the quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    By the way he pleaded not guilty... so maybe I will have to say my bad when it's all a big misunderstanding.
    I wouldn't go that far. Maybe one of our resident lawyers can clarify, but my guess is that his not guilty plea was simply a legal maneuver to give his lawyer more time to negotiate an agreement on a deal for a lesser charge.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

So ESPN seems to confirm his first arrest was primarily because he was under-age, thanks for the quotes.
    Okay, and alcohol was part of the equation, while driving 92 mph, with passengers in the car. Let's not try to minimize the seriousness of the situation. Blackmon felt it was necessarry to claim it wasn't who he was, and that he would learn from it. Looks to me like it is who he is right now, and he didn't learn a thing.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Okay, and alcohol was part of the equation, while driving 92 mph, with passengers in the car. Let's not try to minimize the seriousness of the situation.
    He broke the law, no one is minimizing the importance of that. But it also shouldn't be overblown as a "serious, life threatening act" when the officer who pulled him over apparently didn't feel a Breathalyzer or blood test was warranted.

Anyways, I think we're basically going around in circles here, having said our opinion on this one multiple times. We both hope he gets back on track, but ultimately it will be up to him to do so. He's now not only going to have to work hard to become a top pro receiver, but he's also going to have to work hard to repair his public image as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

@AdamSchefter

Sounds like the Jaguars can and will give first-round pick Justin Blackmon a smaller and deferred signing bonus, less guaranteed money.
    According to the affidavit, Stillwater police officer Charles Murphy said Blackmon didn't immediately pull over and was going as fast as 60 mph in a 35 mph zone before he stopped his vehicle. Murphy wrote that he immediately smelled alcohol on Blackmon's breath and that he had slow, slurred speech with lethargic movements.

“I just flew in. I don't know why you're harassing me,” Blackmon allegedly told Murphy.

Murphy also wrote he had to tell Blackmon to take his hands out of his pockets on four occasions while giving him a field sobriety test. Murphy said he gave Blackmon two blood alcohol tests. The first one read 0.24, three times the legal limit. The second allegedly read 0.26.
    Adam Schefter on ESPN just now said the Jags are going to low ball his deal, defer his signing bonus until year three... the league can suspend him once he signs. Not a good start to a career.
    Going to be interesting to see what his deal looks like.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

He broke the law, no one is minimizing the importance of that. But it also shouldn't be overblown as a "serious, life threatening act" when the officer who pulled him over apparently didn't feel a Breathalyzer or blood test was warranted.

Anyways, I think we're basically going around in circles here, having said our opinion on this one multiple times. We both hope he gets back on track, but ultimately it will be up to him to do so. He's now not only going to have to work hard to become a top pro receiver, but he's also going to have to work hard to repair his public image as well.
    IMO, driving 92 mph at night after consuming any amount of alcohol is life threatening.

And yes, we can both agree on hoping he gets back on the straight and narrow, but it's going to take more than just his claim that he will.
    RealRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Justin Blackmon pleads not guilty to misdemeanor DUI

Jacksonville Jaguars rookie wide receiver Justin Blackmon pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor aggravated DUI charge in Stillwater, Okla. on Monday.

The not-guilty plea was entered and posted on Blackmon's court docket, which is viewable on the Oklahoma state court's website.

A hearing has been set for 10:30 a.m. CT on July 24, three days before the Jaguars begin training camp. Blackmon faces up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, but Vince Stellino of The Florida Times-Union reported it's unlikely that Blackmon will serve jail time.

Blackmon left the courtroom surrounded by friends, according to The Associated Press. Cheryl Ramsey, Blackmon's attorney, Cheryl Ramsey, declined to comment. The Jaguars are trying to learn more about the arrest and had no comment, a team spokesman told the AP on Sunday.

Blackmon, 22, was officially charged with one count of aggravated DUI on Monday morning following his arrest early Sunday in Stillwater, where he played college football at Oklahoma State. To qualify for an aggravated DUI, an individual's blood-alcohol level must be above .15. Blackmon was booked into Payne County Jail on Sunday morning after admitting to consuming alcohol and registering a blood-alcohol level of .24, which is three times the legal limit of .08. According to the affidavit, the second test sample registered a .26, the Tulsa World reported.

According to the affidavit, which also is viewable on the state court's site, Blackmon's breath smelled of alcohol and he admitted to the officer who stopped him that he had been drinking.

During his career at Oklahoma State, Blackmon was suspended for one game during the 2010 season after being arrested on a DUI complaint in Carrollton, Texas. Though Blackmon, a first-round draft pick, has yet to sign an NFL contract, he is subject to discipline under the NFL's drug and personal-conduct policies.

"Blackmon left the courtroom surrounded by friends"......I wonder if these were the same knucklehead "friends" who let him drive that night ? Character is a tough thing to define,imo, but surely with whom you choose to hang has to to be a key criterion, no ? At least Jenkins made the move away from his old circle of enablers.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

"
    A man weighing as much as Blackmon (207 pounds) might have to consume 16 beers over a three-hour period to approach a .24 percent blood-alcohol reading. Consuming 24 beers — a full case — over an 11-hour period could produce a similar result, according to one online calculator. Other calculators produce slightly different results depending on a range of factors. A calculator provided by the Office of Alcohol and Drug Education at the University of Notre Dame says 14 shots of 80-proof liquor over a two-hour period could produce a .24 percent reading in a 207-pound man. "

- Mike Sando

THE DREAM TEAM

general counsel is offline Registered User

At the risk of repeating myself, i think stating that blackmon made the same mistake twice is materially underestimating what happened the second time. The same mistake twice would mean that he was arrested a second time for .08 or something like that. All DUI's are not the same. Getting arrested at .24 (with a report of a second test at .26) is not the same mistake as a .o8, it is far far more dangerous and far worse. .26 does not qualify in my book as an indiscretion of youth, it qualifies as a grossly negligent move of a young adult. But for the grace of god is blackmon and everyone else on that road near him still alive.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself, i think stating that blackmon made the same mistake twice is materially underestimating what happened the second time. The same mistake twice would mean that he was arrested a second time for .08 or something like that. All DUI's are not the same. Getting arrested at .24 (with a report of a second test at .26) is not the same mistake as a .o8, it is far far more dangerous and far worse. .26 does not qualify in my book as an indiscretion of youth, it qualifies as a grossly negligent move of a young adult. But for the grace of god is blackmon and everyone else on that road near him still alive.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    This is where it's a charter issue and not a poor decision. The first time was a poor decision, under age kid in college has a few and drives... poor decision. Doing it again for a second time after just getting drafted and have answered, I'm sure over the last two months he answered hundreds of questions about what happen the first time he got a DUI, He said he learned from that experience and will not disappoint. The repercussion to drink and drive are clear in his mind, whats at risk here and I'm just talking for him not anybody who is unlucky to be on the same road that morning.

I know at the Rams OTA's they called it an orientation more then practice, telling the guys what to expected, I'm sure all the teams are doing the same with the rookies..

Under thе new collective bargaining agreement іn thе NFL, thе traditional rookie minicamp is more like rookie orientation. instead of thе usual five practices over three days, Rams rookies wіll practice οnlу twice over two days beginning this afternoon аt Rams Park.
    “A minicamp is where guys аrе flying around јυѕt like madmen аll over thе practice field,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “Bυt this is an orientation. Thеу′re not going tο do thаt. Wе′re going tο learn not οnlу thе football — bυt thе concept of hοw we practice, hοw we install. Thеу′re going tο find out about thе training room, thе weight room, community relations, player development, meet thе coaches.”
    I just have a hard time with someone that just made it to the NFL I'm sure a lifetime goal. Just went to OTA's, met his new employer, coaches, teammates ect. Put his gear on for the first time!

Priorities:
    Get my contract done
    Learn the playbook
    Find a place to live
    Buy mom a new house
    Get into shape

I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-05-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345