Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Blame the Victim? Fan in the wrong stadium

Over and over again I have seen in the news about fans of a visiting team being abused by home team fans, and the constant barrage of people who callously state, "Well what do you expect?" "His own fault for being there." So my question to you is do you really honestly believe that if you are at a Rams home game and there is a fan there for the visiting team that it is okay to verbally abuse them, throw food at them, dump drinks on them, shove them, obstruct their view of the game, and finally assault them?

I have a bit of inside perspective on this I have only ever been to 2 live games. Both times I was harassed, the second time I was assaulted. This was back before it was cool and trendy to blast this type of thing in the media. I got 3 days in the hospital, my attackers got jail time.

So again while I would accept that trash talk would be likely, do you really honestly believe it should be okay to do all the rest to a visiting fan?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Blame the Victim? Fan in the wrong stadium

I have been in some let's say stickiy situations at RAMS road games. My outlook is: I expect verbal abuse and accept it. Physical abuse I won't tolerate. Touch me I touch em back.

It's really a shame that it's so tough to enjoy your favorite teams road games. The NFL franchises really need to work on this issue.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

It could be worse, the fans could have that soccer hooliganism mentality to the point where it involves taking someone else's life. But yeah, it's really hard to stop it completely, it's just human nature to have that sense of pride where having a road fan on your field feels like pointing a knife towards their pride.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Visiting fans can be their own worst enemy if they decide to push it and be obnoxious. It's one thing to root for your team, it's another to puposely try to piss off the home crowd. That's when things can get ugly. I've been to dozens of Rams road games and I've been in every situation. I try to guage the mood of the locals, and adjust my level of enthusiasm accordingly. I've had a great time talking and interacting with whiners fans in Candlestick, and a horrible time sitting on my hands among Faiders fans in the Black Hole, where my level of enthusiasm was at it's lowest ever.

Like laram0 said, you've got to expect verbal abuse, but there is no place for physical contact or getting hit by flying objects. The reality is, people drink, so stuff is going to happen and you just have to be ready. I like to mouth off at Cardinals games in Glendale (in a good natured way), so I always get seats in the highest row to avoid projectiles and anyone bum rushing me.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Visiting fans can be their own worst enemy if they decide to push it and be obnoxious. It's one thing to root for your team, it's another to puposely try to piss off the home crowd. That's when things can get ugly. I've been to dozens of Rams road games and I've been in every situation. I try to guage the mood of the locals, and adjust my level of enthusiasm accordingly. I've had a great time talking and interacting with whiners fans in Candlestick, and a horrible time sitting on my hands among Faiders fans in the Black Hole, where my level of enthusiasm was at it's lowest ever.

Like laram0 said, you've got to expect verbal abuse, but there is no place for physical contact or getting hit by flying objects. The reality is, people drink, so stuff is going to happen and you just have to be ready. I like to mouth off at Cardinals games in Glendale (in a good natured way), so I always get seats in the highest row to avoid projectiles and anyone bum rushing me.
    That is a good idea. Always have you back to a wall. :-) As some people mention going to a game is a lively and wild experience. But you actually get to see more at home on the TV. Now that I am disabled I will probably never get to see a game live again. Not as able to defend myself anymore if anyone gets out of hand. I would really love to see the Ram Steelers gave live. I live right here next to Pittsburgh. But that just wont happen. But hey a guy can dream right? So I will sit here and watch the game on tv decked out in all my rams gear.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I have been in some let's say stickiy situations at RAMS road games. My outlook is: I expect verbal abuse and accept it. Physical abuse I won't tolerate. Touch me I touch em back.
    I agree 100%. I'm ok with talk but you get physical it's on!!

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I speak with limited experience since I've only gone to see the Rams play the Cards in AZ and have had some good spirited convertations and taunting with em but I always sit on the Rams side which gives alot more consistentcy with Ram fans. I've seen many fights over the years and I'd have to say most of em are either Cardinal Or Ram fans not being able to take a joke, or have no sense of humor. If your in the opposing teams stadium expect to get something said to you, this isn't South Central LA...

lol p.s. last year a Cowboys and Cards fan got in a fight after the game and whole section of Rams and cards fan all stop nagging at eachother and turned on him! It was great!

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Well I cant say I have been subject to any physical abuse. With me going to the Rams and Redskins in 09, only thing experienced was some guy wanted to run me over with his car because I was wearing my Rams jersey. Other than that besides the usual trash talk it was alright.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jockelite View Post
    Well I cant say I have been subject to any physical abuse. With me going to the Rams and Redskins in 09, only thing experienced was some guy wanted to run me over with his car because I was wearing my Rams jersey. Other than that besides the usual trash talk it was alright.
    haha were you walking drunk in the middle of the road?