RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Bo's Top 5 Wide Recievers

My Top 5, go ahead and disagree with my list, but let me know where you think I've erred. Thanks.

1. Andre Johnson - Right now he's the most consistent receiver in the NFL. The most complete WR in the game. Great hands, size, speed, route running, and is the hardest working WR on the practice field.

2. Calvin Johnson - How many QBs has he had this year, 3? and he is on the worst team in the NFL. He has plenty of excuses for a lackluster season. But all he does is rank 5th in recieving yards (1,331) and ties for 1st in TDs (12) , and ties for 2nd in plays of 20+ yards (21) and 40+ yards (7). He leaps over DBs like they are nothing, has great size and blazing speed. Biggest snub for the Pro Bowl in my eyes. Imagine Randy Moss on the lions trying to put up these numbers? Yeah, I though so.

3. Steve Smith - What can I say about this guy that hasn't been said already. Easily the most explosive WR in the league, posting a ridiculous 18.2 yards a catch. He always seems to make a big play when his team is in the most need of one.

4. Larry Fitzgerald - Catches balls like a vacuum, some of the best hands in the NFL. 2nd in the league in yards with 1,431. Not one of the more flashy WRs in the game, he just goes out and makes plays all day.

5. Brandon Marshall - Didn't have a great year, but he is still one of the top recievers in the game. As sure handed as anyone playing the game today, and the boy is strong like a tight end. Relatively young, he has the potential to get even better.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Re: Bo's Top 5 Wide Recievers

Is this top 5 recievers based on their 2008 performances? If so you could definitely make a case for guys like Roddy White and Greg Jennings on that list, but otherwise solid list.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

It's interesting how many different types of receivers there are that are good. From Randy Moss to Steve Smith to Wes Welker. But the all-around best receivers obviously have a bit of everything, speed, size, possesion, and route running.

I have been watching a lot of Larry Fitzgerald this year and I agree he is a vacuum. He just hangs on to every ball that comes near him. I can't say I can remember any receiver that sucked in so many balls in traffic, and got hit as he was catching it, and held on to it almost every single time.

I think I'd take him over the others you mentioned if I had my choice, although Calvin Johnson could prove to be superior over time.

Braylon Edwards and the Brown's had a bad year, but he is also spectacular.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Is this top 5 recievers based on their 2008 performances? If so you could definitely make a case for guys like Roddy White and Greg Jennings on that list, but otherwise solid list.
    I tried to make this list just based on the skill sets of the players and not exactly on stats, even though I used stats to support my picks.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Edwards is a joke.. couldn't catch a balloon

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Personally, I've generally liked Boldin over Fitzgerald. Anquan's yards/catch numbers have dropped a little in the last couple years, but he is one of the best in the league when it comes to getting yards after the catch. A guy who gets 5-6 yards after the catch makes a huge difference when you're trying to get the first down. I've seen various rumors circulate over the years about the Cardinals wishing Fitzgerald with his incredible natural gifts would practice as hard as Boldin, but I haven't really followed that situation to know whether there's any truth to it.

I think all of the ones you named are good choices, though.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I would rate Fitzgerald higher, as someone else said I'm also not sure I've seen any other receiver hang on to the ball like he does no matter how he gets hit or how hard it is to catch.

Boldin also has to be on the list. Brandon Marshall is the odd man out, I don't think he is top-5.

Very impressed with Andre Johnson, I hadn't thought of it before but you could be right that he's currently the best receiver in the league.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Great list. I'd flip Fitzgerald and Smith, and then I'd probably sub Marshall out and put Reggie Wayne in. He's had a down year but I think he's still a top flight receiver right now. Other than that, I think you've got it spot on. Andre Johnson is just the total package in my opinion, and I think the fact that Calvin Johnson accomplished that on a winless Detroit team with a carousel at QB demonstrates his ability.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    It's interesting how many different types of receivers there are that are good. From Randy Moss to Steve Smith to Wes Welker. But the all-around best receivers obviously have a bit of everything, speed, size, possesion, and route running.

I have been watching a lot of Larry Fitzgerald this year and I agree he is a vacuum. He just hangs on to every ball that comes near him. I can't say I can remember any receiver that sucked in so many balls in traffic, and got hit as he was catching it, and held on to it almost every single time.

I think I'd take him over the others you mentioned if I had my choice, although Calvin Johnson could prove to be superior over time.

Braylon Edwards has had one good season and the rest were exactly the same as this years. You can't treat this year as an anomaly when it follows the pattern and treat last year as the norm when it's the only one that sticks out in his career.