throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chrome_CW is offline Registered User

Re: Branch to the hawks

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I can't stand the seahawks. I just really hate them lol, hopefully, our D will be good enough to stop their WR's, especially now that they have him.
    Lol Varg, believe me as a Seahawk fan the feeling is mutual - I like most of you guys most of the time though ~

I think this bodes well for the Hawks and gives us another weapon as well as depth at WR.

You guys did look good yesterday vs Denver - this weekend should be really telling about how our two teams are going to do this year - if either of our teams can't score TD's against the Whiners or the Tards then we've both got issues - the good news is that I forsee both of our teams scoring bunches.

Brain Daddy Guest

Re: Branch traded to Seattle

With respect to RamsFan16, NFLTopGun, bruce4life, and LA Rammer, Matt Hasselbeck is no Jake Plummer. The Rams did a good job getting in Plummer's face, but Plummer has never been known for making smart decisions. Hasselbald is a much better QB than Plummer, and any improvement to his WR Corp hurts the NFC West.

and really the Lions almost pulled that game off. The Lions???
    Week 1 is always full of upsets. For instance:

September 7, 2003
    Patriots - 0
    Bills - 31

The Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl, while the Bills finished 6-10. A bad game in week 1 doesn't mean much one way or the other.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Branch isn't as good as his reputation appears to be IMHO. I would never give up a first for him. It makes the Seahawks more dangerous in the short term though, but overall I think it's a better trade for the Patriots.

RamHawk Guest

As both a Hawk and Ram fan, I can say this trade is bittersweet. I am not sold on Branch being the missing piece...it could take weeks for him to sort out the elementary plays in Holmgren's play book. As a Ram fan, it could look like a solidifying move to an already potent offence (considering the 2005 season). As a Ram fan, I am more concerned with the Hawks' defense. If the Rams can't outscore, Deion Branch hardly matters.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamHawk View Post
    As both a Hawk and Ram fan
    What kind of strange laboratory experiment caused this anomaly?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What kind of strange laboratory experiment caused this anomaly?
    LMAO. If you think that's a odd match, I actually know a few people who are die-hard Rams AND whiners fans. Hard to understand. Those that like both UCLA and USC also make me scratch my head.

As far as Branch, he is going to help Seattle by adding consistency at the reciever spot, something they haven't been able to do lately. He'll catch a few balls too.

Seahawk_For_Life Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Pats made out well on that one.
    And I think the Seahawks did as well, nice trade for both teams.

Most likely the draft pick will be 25+, so a late 1st round pick for a proven #1 wide receiver who is still young. Proven player vs the crap shoot that a draft pick always is.

Look at how many #1 draft picks don't live up to their potential. Trading for a proven player like Branch is a smart move.

Brain Daddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If you think that's a odd match, I actually know a few people who are die-hard Rams AND whiners fans. Hard to understand.
    Indeed. How is that even possible? :x

Seahawk_For_Life Guest

Re: Branch to the hawks

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Whats not goodabout that? Our Dbs handle Pro Bowler's Rod Smith and Javon Walker well. Even with Branch that offensive line improved ZERO. Alexander had 59 yards rushing, and the oline got eaten up. Bad move or them IMO. Yes they get a good reciever but after yesturday they need oline depth.
    The O-line improved zero? I wasn't aware they needed to improve. They were widely regarded as the best line in the NFL, and having alot of depth. Remember they have 4 of the same 5 guys starting. Losing Hutch hurts of course, but losing one player all the sudden doesn't make it a desperate situation. Porkchop, Ashworth, Spencer, or even Sims can fill in. Trust me, depth is what we do have. There is no issue there.

Yes, the unit as a whole had a poor game yesterday, but they had poor games at the beginning of last season too, the unit improves as the season goes on.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Lots of people reading too much into the first game here from a Rams standpoint. Branch is proven to be productive when with a good team, Seahawks are still that so no reason to think he won't produce. Therefore not great news for us.

Not a disaster though and a #1 really is too high whether it's at the end of the round or not. Players moving franchises can impact their performance as much as graduating from college can, so we'll see.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk_For_Life View Post
    Most likely the draft pick will be 25+
    And is it still a nice trade for Seattle if that's more like 15-20? Keep in mind that nine-win teams were finishing as early as 16th in the draft order last year. I think Seattle gets more than nine wins but you never know. This looks to be a more competitive NFC and a more competitive division on top of that, so this idea that their first round pick will likely be in the mid 20s is far from a sure thing.

Even if your case is that Branch is better than any wide receiver that would be available to them in the first, it's way too early to be making those kind of claims as well. Depending on how many juniors come out, there could be some very good wide receivers available when they pick, especially if they end up picking earlier than some fans anticipate. That doesn't even begin to address other potential need positions that could creep up between now and April.

Branch is a good starter but is not the playmaker I think Seattle has been missing at the WR position, at least we haven't seen it out of him. He's certainly going to make the Seahawks more dangerous, but I think the piece that's been missing from their offense is a receiver that can really break games open when teams focus in on Alexander, and I'm just not convinced that's Branch. Meanwhile maybe you find that in the latter half of the first round in April. Yes the draft is a crapshoot, but the risks are minimized with good scouting, which I think the Seahawks have when it comes to recent rookie talent.

Furthermore, you have to look at relative value in the league. You don't see many players traded for first round picks. Randy Moss and John Abraham are two recent examples that stand out in my mind, and Branch is no where near that level. Guys like Alexander and James couldn't be moved for first round picks, Culpepper could only get a second rounder. Javon Walker got moved for a second during the draft, Ashley Lelie and Nate Burleson got moved for third round picks I believe. I see Branch somewhere in the grey area between those mid to late first day trades, which is why a first round compensation is questionable.

It would just be nice to hear Seahawk fans admit that they overspent in order to increase the talent on a "win now" team rather than try to make the case that they made a great deal here. Yes, Seattle got a good player, but it wasn't at a bargain by any means.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It would just be nice to hear Seahawk fans admit that they overspent in order to increase the talent on a "win now" team rather than try to make the case that they made a great deal here. Yes, Seattle got a good player, but it wasn't at a bargain by any means.
    This is going to be a bust. One injury and they are back to square 1 and out a first round draft pick. That was not smart negotiating. The Pats were looking for a sucker and thats why they held out for so long with Branch. Add Branch and you pretty much have a strong replacement for Joe Jurevicius. Mounts to what? Maybe a decent season. Once more 1 injury and SUCKERRRRRRRRRRRRR!:x
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

akseahawkfan Guest

I will trade a late first round draft pick for a proven NFL player every time. Are you all seriously telling me that knowing what you know now about Branch, a Super Bowl MVP, that if he was available at pick 22 in the draft you would pass on him? That's stupid.

Also, remember that the Seahawks lost their opener on the road last year and still came back and swept the division, on the way to the NFC championship. I know you all hope very badly that the Seahawks have taken a step back, but that is all it is.. hope.... and nothing more. The offense is improved with Burleson and now Branch. The defense is improved with Peterson. The rest of the NFCW is still trying to catch up... yeah, the Rams and AZ are better, maybe even improved enough to contend for the second WC spot if it doesn't come out of the East or South.

But its a huge stretch to think that the division will come down between the Rams and the Cardinals. I don't think the Rams D can hold up and I don't think the AZ OL can protect Warner enough.

Chrome_CW is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    This is going to be a bust. One injury and they are back to square 1 and out a first round draft pick. That was not smart negotiating. The Pats were looking for a sucker and thats why they held out for so long with Branch. Add Branch and you pretty much have a strong replacement for Joe Jurevicius. Mounts to what? Maybe a decent season. Once more 1 injury and SUCKERRRRRRRRRRRRR!:x
    The arguement can be made(and has been made by many experts) that Joe Jurevicius got us to the Super Bowl last year with clutch catches - so you are kind of proving our point - he stepped up when Engram and Djack went down as well as a few other clutch times like against the Redskins in the playoffs. As for your comments about injuries - acquiring Branch is helping to give us depth should Djack's knee not hold up as well as another threat when all of the WR's are healthy. If you look back traditionally our first round draft picks don't tend to play a lot for the first few years, and a few have been busts. I'm frankly not convinced that we needed Branch - unless we fall flat on our face and have a top 10 pick this year I'm not convinced that we would have been able to get a better player.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Does a guy like Branch help deepen the Hawks receiving corps, therefore making them better? The only answer is yes. Would I trade a late first round draft pick, which is ALWAYS an unknown, for a KNOWN commodity? Again, yes. The trade was good for both teams, I believe. The Pats however, will suffer short term, and the Hawks will gain short term. But the Pats did what they had to do and got something of value in return.

What I would be concerned about if I were a Hawks fan, is how will signing a very high-priced receiver, with so-so numbers, to an already established group affect them? Could he be a distraction, or a disruption to team chemistry? Somebody's gonna get less playing time. ...and players talk. If he doesn't produce early, will there be problems? Only time will tell.

Just another take on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast