throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 Guest

Breaking News: Bad News

Seahawks | Team agrees on eight-year deal with Alexander
    Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:44:37 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms on an eight-year contract with RB Shaun Alexander. The deal is reportedly worth $62 million and includes in excess a total of $15 million in bonuses and salary the first year. It is not known how the deal is structured with regards to how much cap space the deal takes up in the first year of the contract. Alexander was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent March 6.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Breaking News: Bad News

That's not bad news at all. In fact, it makes it more likely that the Hawks would be unable to match an offer to Steve Hutchinson and will be unable to re-sign Rocky Barnard.

BBlades89 Guest

I'm not worried about Hutch. I am also not worried about a few small holes on defense. This FO knows what it's doing (after so many years I can actually say this lol)

RamsFan16 Guest

yea were not that lucky .. Front Office wise.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That's a long contract for a 28-year-old back. I wonder if he sees more than half of it.

The second Alexander stops earning every penny on that contract Hawk fans will turn on him faster than you can say Space Needle.

Large_Ant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    That's a long contract for a 28-year-old back. I wonder if he sees more than half of it.
    I doubt it. I'm guessing he'll see exactly half.

Large_Ant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The second Alexander stops earning every penny on that contract Hawk fans will turn on him faster than you can say Space Needle.
    How's that different from anyone else? When a player starts taking up more of your cap room than he's worth, everybody complains. Aren't you kind of stating the obvious?

That may be a general truth, but when a team gives the largest contract ever to a RB, and that RB is already 28 (2-3 years from the age when most RBs take a nose dive in production), that team is inviting that scenario more so than usual.

I'm not saying that the Hawks should not have paid Alexander. Frankly, you could argue that they should have given him his big contract a couple of years ago.

The reality is, though, that in 2-3 years, he will likely be the source of "dead money" on the Hawks books.

maltz88 Guest

Actually it's almost the opposite. The only way the hawks will have any dead money is if they have to release Alexander before year #4. After that all of the guaranteed money will be paid, and he can be released scott free to the hawks.

OrlandoPaceIsMyHero Guest

I'm glad the hawks did this. Now they have all their money tied up in one of the most replacable positions in the NFL: (non-recieving) Running back.

Look at the Broncos - tons of no-name 1000 yard rushers in the recent past. Heck, look at the Seahawks - when Alexander went down in the Skins game they were still fine at RB with Morris.

Huge waste of money for a HB who can't catch imo. MAYBE the multi-threat guys like Marshall (in his prime) and LT are worth big bucks...

Now if the hawks lose and fail to replace Hutchinson they will be in big trouble.

-OPIMH

RamsFan16 Guest

Yes it is bad news. It means we have to have him get 150yds on us every game this season.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Yes it is bad news. It means we have to have him get 150yds on us every game this season.
    He can have all the yards he wants, just as long as we keep him out of the endzone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I dont think there is anything wrong being clever and backloading the contract. Most NFL teams do that these days and if the players are willing then why not. Our front office has been known to do the exact same thing. OK, maybe the numbers are not a gaudy but then, thats just a sign of the times.

Good luck to them.

Welker83 Guest

thats great news! Now he can go back to being the player he was before his "contract" season....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast