moklerman is offline Registered User

Brees to Saints?

Drew Brees: Could Sign With Saints This Weekend

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
    Saturday, March 11, 2006
    Update: Brees (shoulder) is visiting with the Saints this weekend and could potentially have a contract with New Orleans by the start of this week, the Miami Herald reports.

Recommendation: "We've already got things lined up and we'll be rocking and rolling the minute the clock strikes midnight,'' Brees said Friday from Birmingham, where he is rehabilitating from right shoulder surgery. Brees declined to eliminate the Dolphins or any team from his list of possibilities but said he was "focused on what's happening the next couple of days." A potential deal between Brees and the Saints would leave Miami out in the cold as far as landing its number-one targeted veteran quarterback.

Re: Brees to Saints?

If the Saints sign a quality starter at qb, how's that going to effect the draft. I was under the impression that most people had the Saints taking Leinart? If they don't go qb at all, that's another quality player off the board early. Does Cutler fall further than expected? Or do the Raiders get a dream come true?

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Ya thats interesting,thats why all these mock drafts before FA are not the be all and end all,FA will shake up the draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the Saints have four options at that point, listed in order of liklihood:

1) Trade down with the Titans, Jets, or another team who wants their choice of QBs in this draft
    2) Draft A.J. Hawk to fill a glaring need at LB
    3) Draft OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson to groom as Wayne Gandy's replacement
    4) Draft a quarterback to groom in case Brees doesn't come back from his injury that well

Like I said, ranked in order of liklihood, so I think a trade down is most likely.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Trading down is usually the best course of action for any team in my opinion. Not always, but usually. I don't know if the Saints are that...savvy. You're probably more up on the draft but I would think Ferguson is a potential first year starter that doesn't need any grooming. Hopefully the Saints will do something screwy though and open things up for the Rams.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Hopefully the Saints will do something screwy though and open things up for the Rams.

Like trade their first rounder for a bag of peanuts? Then we can get Mario Williams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Trading down is usually the best course of action for any team in my opinion. Not always, but usually. I don't know if the Saints are that...savvy. You're probably more up on the draft but I would think Ferguson is a potential first year starter that doesn't need any grooming. Hopefully the Saints will do something screwy though and open things up for the Rams.
    I don't know many tackles that come in and start on the blind side their rookie year and do well. If I remember correctly, Pace wasn't exactly a superstar his rookie year. Ogden played at guard. Gallery, drafted to be a franchise LT, is still playing RT for the Raiders.

Ferguson is a potential first year starter, but if the Saints take him, I don't think they'd start him right away. Maybe halfway through the season. Let's put it this way - he doesn't need to be developed, but it wouldn't hurt him if they can afford to do it, which the Saints probably could with Gandy already there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!