BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Brett Farve to Return

Brett Farve is going to return to the Green Bay Packers next season. Steve Mariucci actually talked to Farve via cell phone in an unscripted incident on NFL Network earlier in which Farve informed Steve that he was returning. For those that don't know I'm a huge Brett Farve mark so this makes me happy.

On another subject Jamie Dukes from the NFL Network can't go away fast enough.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Brett Farve to Return

I like Favre, but sheeesh, the man needs to retire. Yeah he did well last year, but when you get older, there really is no room for improvement, its just a steady decline of excellence, and yeah he was excellent, but he can't be forever. I think he is sort of hurting the team, he wouldn't be the guy I'd want to have starting in my opinion. And for a brand new head coach to be forced to build around a 35+ year old QB is selfish...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Brett FavrA's back-up has to be sick of waiting and now he heres this?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's be honest though - Favre isn't the player he was but still gives the Packers the best chance to win right now. If that's what the Packers want, and with an 8-8 record in 2006 they likely see a possibility of winning sooner rather than later, then Favre is their best option.

At least he announced it now rather than letting it continue to drag out.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I like Favre, but sheeesh, the man needs to retire. Yeah he did well last year, but when you get older, there really is no room for improvement, its just a steady decline of excellence, and yeah he was excellent, but he can't be forever. I think he is sort of hurting the team, he wouldn't be the guy I'd want to have starting in my opinion. And for a brand new head coach to be forced to build around a 35+ year old QB is selfish...
    Well he obviously still enjoys playing the game and feels like he can help his team get back on the winning track. Also that brand new coach has gone out of his way to court Farve to return. By your logic then John Elway should have stepped away before he won those last 2 SB's.

Watching Farve play I think it's pretty clear he still has all the physical abilities to get the job done. What's been lacking the last 2 years is his decision making and I believe most of that is because he knew he was going to have to do all the work if they were going to win. Now there team is improving, and most importantly they have a solid young O-line that is going to be pretty good next year, something Favre hasn't had in years.

If the Packers wanted Farve to move on the time for that was last year of the year before. Now their team has gotten to the point where they have enough talent to make the playoffs and don't need to break in a young QB.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I wonder if Brett watched the latest Rocky sequel before making his decision....

Of course, imagine the endorsements he can get paid for now: AARP, Geritol, Depends....

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

It matters none to me. He was great at one time, but he is past his prime and living on what was. However, as stated, at least he let the team know in advance this time. I guess that Madden can continue with his endless man-love tirades about the greatness of Brett Favre...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

your right about Madden, this means the packers will most likely play a lot of sunday night games.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Well he obviously still enjoys playing the game and feels like he can help his team get back on the winning track. Also that brand new coach has gone out of his way to court Farve to return. By your logic then John Elway should have stepped away before he won those last 2 SB's.

Watching Farve play I think it's pretty clear he still has all the physical abilities to get the job done. What's been lacking the last 2 years is his decision making and I believe most of that is because he knew he was going to have to do all the work if they were going to win. Now there team is improving, and most importantly they have a solid young O-line that is going to be pretty good next year, something Favre hasn't had in years.

If the Packers wanted Farve to move on the time for that was last year of the year before. Now their team has gotten to the point where they have enough talent to make the playoffs and don't need to break in a young QB.
    Good point, but Favre won his SB already...yes, every team wants to win the superbowl, no matter if you've done it once or twice already. He still can play and everything, but being knocked around so much, I personally don't think he has the decision making capabilities a younger player may have at the moment. He was always a gunslinger and always will be but I just have my doubts about him....And... you must think of the guy's health too, I know he is a tough son of a gun but it gets to the point where you get hit so much you must wonder if this is going to hurt him in the future. I'd hate to see the guy not know who he is when he is 50 all because he felt he had to play another year or something, you know what I am saying?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

HATTIESBURG, MS—Quarterback Brett Favre responded Saturday to the question of whether or not he had any football left in him by announcing that he would return for at least one more season at a major college program. "I'd like to win one more championship before I retire for good, and Southern Miss, Tennessee, and Florida all have talented young squads that could make a real run to number one next year," said Favre, who has been recruited by several top programs but will wait until after Signing Day to commit to a school. "I know I still have a ways to go with my decision-making, but I know I'd be the kind of quarterback that could grow along with a program." Although scouts from several Division I teams are interested in Favre, they noted that he played an option scheme in high school and seemed noncommittal about maintaining the required 2.25 GPA
    Football is in his blood...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]