RamWraith is offline Registered User

Briggs says he's done in Chicago

Bears | Briggs says he's done in Chicago
    Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:12:20 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs, who is the team's franchise player, said he is prepared to sit out the 2007 season if the Bears do not trade or release him. He went on to say he's played his last down for the team and will never play in Chicago again.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Briggs says he's done in Chicago

This isn't good for Briggs. So he doesn't get his way...time to go sit in the corner and suck his thumb or what? Not a very good reputation he's starting.

NFL teams going to take a flyer on this guy hoping he doesn't pull these kind of antics in the future???

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

It really amazing because he even says that he wants to be the center peice of the defence, and talks all ablout wanting to be a leader. What kind of leader threatens to sit out because hes not the go to guy?

Forget the talk about long term, this guy is a baby plain and simple, if he wants to be a leader he should prove it on the field while making 7million + and then next year sign a huge deal.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Bears are notorious for low balling contracts and Briggs is an elite LB. The NFL is a short term league, so I can't blame any player for wanting to get as bank as possible.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Briggs has earned, though his play, a "market value" contract. I have little doubt that the Bears have not offered this to him.

That's where the real problem arises: the Franchise Tag.

While it pays Briggs handsomely (over $7M) for this year, it prevents him from being able to obtain a long-term deal in the open market. That's where the frustration comes in and, given the constant potential for career-ending injuries, its not entirely misplaced.

So, while I don't agree with Briggs' stance, I understand where its coming from.

My solution would be for the Players Association to push hard for a rule that would prevent a team from using the Franchise Tag on a player more than once. That way, a player like Briggs could play one year at the Franchise amount and then hit the open market.

Dr. Defense is online now Registered User

Avenger if that rule would have taken affect think about where our own Orlando Pace might be? I mean how many years in a row was he stuck with this franchise tag before we finally signed him to a long term deal.

But I do have to agree with you. Teams need to get stop using this as a cheap way to keep a player in uniform. Just sign him to a contract or let him go and sign a replacement end of discussion.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Avenger if that rule would have taken affect think about where our own Orlando Pace might be?
    He would have been signed to a long-term deal a year earlier and in training camp on time. Either that, or traded to Houston.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This isn't good for Briggs. So he doesn't get his way...time to go sit in the corner and suck his thumb or what? Not a very good reputation he's starting.

NFL teams going to take a flyer on this guy hoping he doesn't pull these kind of antics in the future???
    I disagree man, Chicago has been screwing players and coaches for years and never really act to we'll to their players, accept grossman for whatever reason. Look at thomas jones, lovies contract, A train, The coach before lovie ( can't remember his name for some reason) was dropped like a bad habbit. Chicago has been doing this for forever just ask any bears fan. Depending on what they want I wouldn't mind seeing him here. He loves the game and loves to play and He would be the center piece here, him spoon and Pisa with Little upfront and hopefully and okoye, could help pur D

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This is going to be very interesting to see play out because both sides seem dedicated to their position. Who will blink first?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Maybe i can sway Jerry Angelo with a fourth round pick...

Maybe il stretch to a third, but nothing past that!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I like the idea of limiting the franchise designation so that it can't be used year after year. I think Briggs has every reason to be irked when he's going to get paid $7 million this year with no guarantees. Then you look at Adalius Thomas, another Pro Bowl outside linebacker, who says he knows people won't understand why he signed for as little as $7 million/year for 5 years with $20 million guaranteed. I don't think this is the best tactic for him, but he has good reason to be angry.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Bears | Briggs says he's done in Chicago
    Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:12:20 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs, who is the team's franchise player, said he is prepared to sit out the 2007 season if the Bears do not trade or release him. He went on to say he's played his last down for the team and will never play in Chicago again.
    Allow me to translate this for everyone........Drew Rosenhaus is playing his game.

Briggs will set out training camp and sign right before week 1. It's Rosenhaus folks, this is what he does.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

A couple of points. First, the nfl has a PLAYERS UNION. In any Union, the theory is that the group as a whole has greater bargaining power than the individual members. Thus, a collective bargaining agreement is reached with ownership.

However, that does NOT mean that the collective bargaining agreement is going to be best for every single individual member of the union in every single circumstance.

You cant have it both ways. Before the days of the union and before free agency, the players had no leverage of any kind. Today, taken as a whole, they are far better off than at any point in the history of the league. The Tag may not be best for individual guys, but its part of the overall deal between the players and the owners and while it may be a provision of the CBA that the players dont like, there are plenty of provisions that the owners dont like either (such as the difficulty in suspending guys who misbehave or are caught with banned substances).

Briggs is certainly within his rights to sit out. That wont help him of course. He will lose one year of salary (7 million which is a LOT of money) with no guarantee that he makes a lot more later. He will be one year older and he wont get that year of income back later, in fact, if he gets hurt, the impact of the one lost year of income might be even more significant.

I agree that he probably wont sit, he will wait until during camp to show up, thereby increasing the risk that he gets hurt during the year in my view.

I dont know how many people remember this, but the greatest defense in the history of the NFL was missing TWO starters all year, both of whom held out in contract disputes and both of who regretted it for the rest of their lives. Todd Bell, who the 46 defense was named for, and Al Harris, both missed the entire 1985 seasons. That led to the emergence of one wilbur marshall, one of the most underated players of his generation. Boy could we use wilbur right about now (not as much as we could use dan hampton of course)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Thanx for the excellent analysis, GC. BTW not only could we use former Arky "Danimal" Hampton; but I wouldn't complain about getting someone like Richard Dent either.

WHAT SAY YE?