RamWraith is offline Registered User

Broncos' Darrent Williams killed

Broncos' Williams killed Monday morning
    Associated Press

DENVER -- Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver early Monday morning, police said.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. Mountain Time from the scene of the shooting and told him three people had been shot and that Williams had been killed.

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization.

"Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away. A terrible tragedy," Saccomano said.

Hours before the shooting, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime, eliminating them from the playoff race.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Broncos' Darrent Williams killed

That is sad... He was going to have a great career a head of him... I hope the Broncos and his family are able to heal. Have they found the person who shot him?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Wow...this is very sad. I am so sorry for his family and teammates. He was a good player, and what I hear, was a good man. Terrible...My thoughts are with his family...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

That sucks. Why do people have to be that way?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Update on the story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

DENVER (AP) -- Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting early Monday, his limousine sprayed with bullets in downtown Denver.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. from the scene and told him three people had been shot, and the 24-year-old Williams, a former Oklahoma State star, had been killed. His death came hours after the Denver Broncos were eliminated from the playoff race.

A little after 2 a.m., a white Hummer limousine was fired on from a vehicle that pulled up along its side, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said. As many as a dozen bullet holes were visible on the driver's side of the vehicle. One window was blown out and four others had bullet holes.

Three people in the limo were hit and taken to hospitals, where one man was pronounced dead, Jackson said. The other man and woman who were shot were not identified.

Jackson said police were searching for suspects.

"We have no motive yet," he said. "We're hoping to talk with witnesses to find out where they were coming from, and that might give us some clues."

The limo sat in a snowbank beside Speer Boulevard, a main street through downtown. Police and technicians worked amid snow and ice from recent storms, using small yellow plastic markers to indicate possible evidence.

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization. Hours earlier, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime.

"Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away," Saccomano said.

"It is a terrible tragedy," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello added. "We don't know all the details yet, but we are reaching out to the Broncos to offer our support."

The previous active NFL player to die was Thomas Herrion of San Francisco. He had a heart attack following an exhibition game in Denver on Aug. 20, 2005.

Champ Bailey was among the Broncos players and staff members who gathered at Denver Health Medical Center, where Williams' body was taken.

"He had a big heart and a lot of courage," said Cedric Smith, assistant strength and conditioning coach. "It's a tragedy, a complete tragedy. It's sickening."

Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams played two seasons with Darrent Williams at Oklahoma State.

"It makes you want to stay home and not go out to places when you see things like that," Kevin Williams said. "You hate to see it. He was a hardworking kind of guy. He was a great guy."

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy called the death a "tragic loss for the Broncos family, Oklahoma State University and anyone who knew Darrent Williams. It's a loss that goes far beyond the football field."

Williams teamed with Bailey to give Denver one of the NFL's top cornerback tandems. Williams finished the season with 88 tackles, 78 of them solo, and four interceptions.

Players and coaches were off Monday and were scheduled to meet Tuesday before heading home for the offseason.

On Sunday against the *****, Williams had three tackles and returned two punts for 50 yards before leaving the game with a shoulder injury late in the second half. After the game he said he planned to wait a few weeks before deciding if he needed an operation.

Williams, a second-round draft pick in 2005, made an immediate impact on the Broncos. He started nine times in his rookie season following a stellar college career.

Anthony Criss, Williams' high school football coach in Fort Worth, Texas, spoke with the cornerback often, and as recently as two weeks ago.

"When he was younger, he always gravitated to the wrong crowd," Criss said. "I remember he went to church and the minister was talking to him about needing to pray and stop hanging around with the wrong people, and he started straightening up and doing the right thing."

Williams matured at Oklahoma State, turning his eye toward pro football, Criss said.

"I visited him his junior year, and he was grown," Criss said. "Everything was, 'Yes, sir. No, sir."'

In December, Williams spoke of returning to his hometown this offseason to talk to youngsters about staying out of gangs. Williams, who has two young children in the Fort Worth area, recently talked to Criss about establishing a free football camp for youth players.

"He had great compassion," Criss said. "He always wanted to try to make sure people did the right thing. He wanted to be a good parent, a good father, a good example for his kids. He will be missed."

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Some photos from SI.com:

"An investigator with the Denver Police Department places evidence markers next to the Hummer limousine in which Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was riding inside of when he was shot and killed in the early morning on New Year's Day. Two other people in the vehicle were also shot in what police are calling a drive-by shooting. Bullet holes can be seen in the door and to the left of the door and the rear passenger window is shot out."

"Investigators stand on Speer Blvd., the site of the shooting in Denver that ended Williams' life."

"In what would be his last game, Williams tackles the *****' Taylor Jacobs during the Broncos' loss in the regular season finale on Sunday. Hours later, Williams was fatally wounded in a drive-by shooting."

"Williams, who was in his second pro season, shows off his new hairdo before an October game against the Ravens."

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

This is a complete tragedy for this team and his family. My prayers are with both of them at this time. This is just one of those things that makes you ask why?

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

This is a horrible tragedy. But to the bigger point, pro athletes are going to have to learn that being out at nightcubs so late is just trouble waiting to happen. When I first heard about this this morning, my first reaction was to wonder if a nightclub was involved and sure enough it was. You got a place full of drunks, a lot of them jealous that the pro athletes there have so much money. Never a good combination.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i feel terrible for him and his family, it puts football in perspective. I have no idea what the rule is on this, but i sure hope that the NFL doesnt make the broncos take a cap hit on the acceleration of his signing bonus.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

It's an incredibly unfortunate situation, and best wishes go out to his family and to the Broncos organization. I remember waking up Monday getting ready for the Gator Bowl only to see that on the ESPN BottomLine. I was shocked, considering I'd just watched him play the day before. He really was a promising young corner and from everything I've heard a good person as well.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

just a very sad and unreal thing that happens in life... my prayers will be out to his family

Did the people who shot him planned it out to kill him or did they just randomly did a Drive by and started shooting?

I found some more news about this on nfl.com

SUV possibly linked to Williams' death found

NFL.com wire reports

DENVER (Jan. 4, 2007) -- Denver police converged early Thursday on a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe they believe might have been used in a New Year's Day drive-by shooting that killed Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

Television images of the sport utility vehicle, found abandoned along a street south of Denver International Airport, appeared to show the Tahoe had been painted black on the sides, front and back, but the top remained white -- the original color of the vehicle authorities were seeking.

A license plate was missing from the rear of the SUV, but a plate on the front matched the number police said was being sought.

The vehicle was placed onto a flatbed tow truck and hauled away. Denver Police Department spokesman Sonny Jackson did not immediately return a call for comment.

State confidentiality laws prevent the police from saying who a vehicle is registered to. However, the Rocky Mountain News and The Denver Post, citing sources they didn't name, reported the SUV belongs to Brian K. Hicks of Denver, who is jailed on drug and attempted murder charges.

Although Hicks was behind bars on the day of the shooting, police want to know who was using his vehicle in the early morning hours of New Year's Day, when a gunman sprayed a white stretch Hummer limousine with at least 14 bullets, one of which struck Williams in the neck.

Hicks, 28, has been jailed since Nov. 9 on a charge of possessing drugs with intent to distribute. He also is accused of shooting at a woman who was later killed a week before she was to testify against him last month.

Hicks' wife, Kimaya James, told the Rocky Mountain News that police were looking for her husband's vehicle but that she didn't know who had been driving the Tahoe while he's been in the Denver County Jail.

Investigators have not identified any suspects in the attack on Williams that wounded two other people, spokesman Sonny Jackson said.

"Officers are on the lookout for the vehicle of interest and they're talking to eyewitnesses and gathering evidence. We're not going to say what that evidence is or who we're talking to," Jackson said.

Police also aren't saying whether they know the motive for the slaying but have said there was a disturbance at a nightclub where Williams attended a New Year's Eve party shortly before he was killed. Investigators also are reviewing surveillance video from the club and footage from traffic cameras.

Williams' uncle, Demond Williams, said the cornerback was at the club to promote a rap group for his fledgling independent recording label, Ryno Entertainment.

The gathering at the club in downtown Denver also was billed as a birthday party for Denver Nuggets star Kenyon Martin, who has said he and other Nuggets left the club before any trouble arose.

Williams' teammates and coaches, along with owner Pat Bowlen and other team personnel gathered with Williams' relatives at the team's training complex on Wednesday for a private memorial.

Also in attendance was former teammate Trevor Pryce, who plays for the Baltimore Ravens.

Some of the players wore sweats, others jeans and others suits as they solemnly filed into the building.

"I would like to thank you all for the love and support that our family has received during this sad time," Williams' mother, Rosalind Williams, said in a statement afterward before flying back to Texas.

"Dee lived his life to the fullest. ... I know from all of the public outpouring of sympathy, my son in his short time on this earth touched many lives."

The Broncos will charter a flight to Fort Worth, Williams' hometown, where the funeral will be held at Great Commission Baptist Church this weekend. It will be open to the public.

"I think it will be very special for our football team to be there as a group and to not only support Darrent's memory but his mom, and we're going to have everybody in the organization go," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "It is something we have to do as a family."

Although only 5-foot-8 (173-centimeter), Williams was full of confidence. He had 88 tackles and four interceptions in 2006 and returned two punts for 50 yards in his final game hours before his death, a 26-23 loss to San Francisco that eliminated the Broncos from playoff contention.

Williams had a 7-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter who live in Fort Worth. A memorial fund was set up in their honor, and Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony said he wanted to honor his friend, possibly by setting up a college fund for Williams' children.

Anthony said he was with Williams at the nightclub in the hours before he was slain.

In 2003, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was shot outside a Denver sports bar, and last April, Nuggets guard Julius Hodge was shot while driving on Interstate 76 in Denver. Both shootings occurred after disturbances at nightclubs and neither case has been solved.

Hodge, who played Tuesday night for the first time since he was shot five times April 8, said Williams' killing brought back nightmares of the night he was attacked.

"I pray every night for him and his family and friends," Hodge said. "They haven't found who shot me and I've pretty much let it go, but I pray that they find whoever shot him."

Broncos CB Williams laid to rest

NFL.com wire reports

FORT WORTH, Texas (Jan. 6, 2007) -- Darrent Williams came home Jan. 6, to the tough streets he both escaped and embraced, where he first flashed his awesome athletic skills and his infectious smile.

An overflow crowd was expected to pack the 2,500-seat Great Commission Baptist Church, not far from where the Broncos' slain cornerback grew up, to say goodbye to their beloved "D' Will," one of the NFL's most promising young defensive backs before being gunned day in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver on New Year's Day.

Police have no suspects in the slaying but did make an arrest of a man they want to question.

Williams' teammates flew in from Denver and coach Mike Shanahan was among the scheduled speakers at the service, which was expected to last three hours. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was to attend the funeral, which was open to the public, followed by a private graveside service.

On the night of Jan. 5, thousands of mourners filed past Williams' open copper-colored casket during a two-hour memorial service where Pastor Douglas E. Brown said the services wouldn't be about grief but a celebration of Williams' 24 years on earth.

Several mourners spoke at the visitation services, recounting how Williams never got bigheaded about his success and always tried to help others succeed, encouraging them to go to class, stay out of street gangs and make something of their lives.

Others said they would continue his legacy by working to fulfill his dreams of starting sports camps for kids, especially in the South Fort Worth neighborhood that he nurtured.

"Down here, D is no superstar, D is 'Little D,'" 25-year-old cousin Monte Wayne said. "Everybody respected Little D because everybody in the 'hood wants to get out the 'hood.

"Right now, we're hurt. But at the same time, we know what it could have been. We know he's got a good legacy the two years he had in the NFL. Man, I'm just going to miss those Sundays. It's just hard, bro."

At the entrance to the church, which features two movie-sized screens on either side of the alter, mourners filed past giant photographs of Williams that displayed his days as a peewee player to his high school days at O.D. Wyatt to his time at Oklahoma State and, finally, with the Broncos.

Williams was killed and two other passengers wounded when at least 14 shots were fired into the stretch Hummer that left a New Year's Eve party at a nightclub. Williams was struck once in the neck.

A Broncos helmet sat at the front of the church and Williams' white No. 27 jersey was draped over the altar. Williams was dressed in a black pinstriped suit with an orange tie and white shirt.

Williams is survived by a 7-year-old son and a 4-year-old daughter, who live in Fort Worth.

Another NFL player from Fort Worth, Thomas Herrion of the San Francisco *****, died after a preseason game at Denver in 2005 and is interred nearby.

Man in custody, questioned in Williams' slaying

NFL.com wire reports

DENVER (Jan. 7, 2006) -- Police arrested a 23-year-old man on Jan. 5 and plan to question him about the shooting death of Denver Broncos player Darrent Williams.

Willie Clark was arrested for a parole violation after his name surfaced in the investigation, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said.

"We're not calling him a suspect at this time," Jackson said.

Jackson said police have questioned more than 50 people since Williams was shot as he drove away from a New Year's Eve party at a nightclub in a stretch Hummer limousine.

An "associate" of Clark's also had been contacted but released, Jackson said.

"I hope he is a valuable individual that will help assist us," Jackson said of Clark. "I hope that he'll make a difference for us in solving this case."

In Fort Worth, Texas, Williams' family huddled around a home computer following his visitation service to watch the police news conference on the Internet.

Police won't say whether they know the motive for the slaying but have said there was an altercation at the club.

According to state criminal records, a man named Willie Clark with the same date of birth as the man arrested has been arrested more than a dozen times since 1999, mostly for misdemeanors and failing to appear in court. In 2003, he pleaded guilty to motor vehicle theft, a felony, and reckless endangerment.

The record for Willie Clark listed three other dates of birth and several aliases.

Clark's arrest came a day after police officers found a 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe they believe could have been used in the drive-by shooting.

A person close to the investigation told The Associated Press the SUV is registered to Brian K. Hicks of Denver, who is jailed on unrelated drug and attempted murder charges. The person declined to be identified, because state law prohibits officials from identifying whom a vehicle is registered to.

Police would not comment on whether Hicks, 28, had agreed to be interviewed or whether gang involvement was suspected in Williams' death.

Hicks has been jailed since Nov. 9 on a charge of possessing drugs with intent to distribute. He also is accused of shooting at a woman who was later killed a week before she was to testify against him.

---

AP Sports Writer Arnie Stapleton in Fort Worth, Texas, contributed to this report.