AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Brooks taken in Supplemental Draft by Bengals/O.Thurman Suspended

Odell Thurman has been suspended for four games due to a substance abuse policy violation. To help fill the void, the Bengals drafted Ahmad Brooks in the Supplemental Draft, and will surrender a 2007 3rd rounder to get him.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Brooks taken in Supplemental Draft by Bengals/O.Thurman Suspended

Updated: July 13, 2006, 1:59 PM ET
    Bengals use third-round pick to select BrooksBy John Clayton
    ESPN.com

The Bengals jumped in front of the ***** and other teams to select Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

Brooks was considered a first-round pick before having troubles at the University of Virginia. He suffered a knee injury last season and some off-field problems led him to being kicked off the football team.

Brooks' weight ballooned to around 290 pounds before he started going on a diet and then started working out with trainer Chip Smith in Atlanta. For his workout for NFL teams in June, he was 260 pounds, and he had decent but not great times in the 40.

In the past couple of weeks, Brooks started training with his former coach at Hargrave Military Academy. He lifted for two hours and did hard running drills for two hours.

Brooks told his agent, Greg Williams, he was in the best shape of his life.

It was interesting the Bengals would take him ahead of other teams such as the ***** or Miami Dolphins. Character was an issue with Brooks, but it's a big theme of the Bengals' offseason. Bengals draft choices Frostee Rucker and A.J. Nicholson have had off-the-field incidents. Wide receiver Chris Henry, a third-round choice last year, has been arrested four times in the past year.

To acquire Brooks, the Bengals gave up a third-round choice in the 2007 draft.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Wide receiver Chris Henry, a third-round choice last year, has been arrested four times in the past year.
    Wow!! Now he really has off the field problems!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

A third rounder in next years draft for Brooks? Lots of talent in Brooks, I'd probably do that then.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Surprise the Rams did not take a shot on him. I know the Rams have acquired some question character players in the last couple of drafts. However, if just 1 or 2 of them pan out to be 1st round talent taken in the 3rd round I believe the risk and reward is well worth the chance. Only if you believe these individuals will not disrupt or influence the team in a negative manner....

Go Rams

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Thurman could have been suspended for not taking the test, that qualifies as breaking the supstance abuse policy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but in late May I said...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I suspect some team will spend a first day draft pick in 2007 on Brooks because of the upside, assuming Ahmad gets back into some kind of football shape.

Not only would I not want to spend a future first day pick on him because of the red flags (a fourth is the highest I would drop at this point), but I don't think we could trade Fisher for a first day pick to use on Brooks.
    Money in the bank!