Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By general counsel

Thread: Browns still trying to convince fans they didn't screw up the RG3 situation

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Browns still trying to convince fans they didn't screw up the RG3 situation

Brandon Weeden's maturity, essential as much as his arm strength and accuracy, is showing up already
    Jun 06, 2012 -- 6:00am
    By Tony Grossi

The Morning Kickoff Ö

Stepping up: After another Browns season blew up with Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace getting tossed around by division foes like rag dolls, what was obvious about their quarterback situation was this: They needed size at the position. They needed a strong and accurate arm. And they needed maturity.

Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck? Ideal fits, to be sure Ö but unobtainable. Manning didnít want to play here and the Colts werenít stupid enough to trade the No. 1 pick.

Of the more realistic candidates, free agent Matt Flynn was no bigger than McCoy with a similarly popgun arm. He was never seriously considered.

Media darling Robert Griffin III also was too small. And too eager to show how fast he could run. The Browns never seemed all-in on Griffin. They pursued him just enough to say they tried.

Ryan Tannehill had the size and the arm, but his maturity as a quarterback and field leader were so lacking that he turned them off in personal interviews. He didnít project as a leader.

So Brandon Weeden emerged as the best option. Great arm. Great size. Great production. And the very thing that scared off every other team Ė heís a 28-year-old rookie because of a failed five-year stint in professional baseball Ė actually became an attraction to the Browns.

In seven practices Ė six in the voluntary OTA sessions and one on the first day of mandatory minicamp on Tuesday Ė Weeden has displayed a strong arm not seen here since Derek Anderson in 2007 and an accurate one with a deft touch reminiscent of Bernie Kosar in the late 1980s.

But what weíre also learning about him is his instant grasp of the position, its responsibilities on the field and off it.

ďItís exciting,Ē receiver Mohamed Massaquoi said in comments distributed by the team. ďHeís mature. Heís played pro ball. Heís going to make us better.Ē

Early returns are good: We can only go by what we see and hear right now. We see Weeden make all the throws. And we hear him talk intelligently, honestly and excitedly about what lies ahead for him. He doesnít blanch from the responsibility of being a spokesman for his team and his offense.

On whether he feels like ďthe guyĒ: ďNot yet, just because nothing is formal. Weíre still two months out until we play our first preseason game. No, not yet.Ē

On establishing rapport with his receivers: ďItís getting there. Thatís when offenses get better, when their quarterbacks and receivers are on the same page.Ē

On his grasp of the Brownsí offensive playbook: ďIíve probably got my hands on 80 percent of it. Itís hard to say. Weíre still installing it. I donít really know, I guess, what there is that I donít know. I like pretty much all of it. There are a couple plays in the red zone I told Coach (Mark) Whipple I wasnít a big fan of. If I donít like it, Iím going to continue to tell him about it. If youíre not comfortable as a quarterback throwing it, most coaches will tell you they wonít call it. As for what I like, I like 99.8 percent of it.Ē

On shaking off an interception at practice: ďI think you guys will find out Iím pretty even-keeled. I think my track record shows I put that behind me. They say wash your hands and move on. Thatís the approach I take. That comes from baseball. I gave up a lot of home runs in baseball. You just toe the rubber Ö take the next snap, and move on to the next play. Iím going to make mistakes. Itís how you bounce back the next series, make a completion here, a completion there.Ē

On the biggest obstacle to getting comfortable in the pro game: ďI think just having some success. Just going out and completing a lot of balls, moving the offense. Just getting confidence in your arm and trusting your reads. I think as a quarterback, if you can get to that third read sometimes, thatíll give you a lot of confidence because you know youíre doing the right thing. Thatís where Iím starting to get.Ē

Looking ahead: When will the Browns formally hand the starting job to Weeden? I think itís all part of a process.

The significance of minicamp this week is for the veterans on the team to ascertain Weedenís physical skills throwing the ball and get a sense for his work ethic and maturity on the field and in the huddle.

There are four more OTA practices next week and then they will disperse for summer vacation. By then, they will know who their quarterback is. A formal announcement by the Browns wonít be necessary.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Browns still trying to convince fans they didn't screw up the RG3 situation

So, their position is "The Rams refused to deal with us and as a result we lost out on RGIII who we really didn't want in the first place"?

Wha-wha-what!?!?!?!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Browns still trying to convince fans they didn't screw up the RG3 situation

On top of that point AV, the walrus claimed that the browns offer was better, which means at the minimum it had to have three #1 picks in it. thus, the browns are now trying to say that they werent all in on a guy that they offered three #1 picks to get?

makes no sense at all. Koo Koo Ka Choo.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Nick and laram0 like this.