OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Bruce...for the last time

I know there are discussions working their way through other threads about this topic, but I decided to for MY first and last time, discuss the Bruce issue.

Although it is very difficult for me to provide unbiased opinions when it comes to Bruce, I'll do my best. Setting nostlagic reasons aside, I am disappointed with the way Bruce was handled. My overall desire is to have the best possible team on the field at the end of the day and I believe that NOT having Bruce on the field in '08 lessens that opportunity. I know that lists are definitely subjective, but Isaac Bruce is #42 on the list ESPN - Bounce-back season puts Moss on top - NFLas posted in another thread. Although there can definitely be some argument as to the positioning of some players on that list, I think that Bruce's placement, plus or minus a few spots, is correct. That being said, adding in his status with this organization and the level of enthusiasm he provided to the fans, it is my opinion that the value of signing him for 3 yrs and thus the remainder of his career would have been the best decision.

I know that I will personally cringe everytime that Bruce catches a pass over the middle, gets the first down to keep the drive alive, and gets down to avoid the hit, while playing against the rams twice a year over the next 3 yrs. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe he will do that more times just against the rams than Bennett will provide all season long.

Everything I pose here is simply in terms of logistics and a rational analysis, ie. cost v. benefit. While I do like a lot of what the rams are doing in a very tough free agent year (Brown, Bell, Hall), I think that not bringing Bruce back detracts from the quaility of our offense that COULD be on the field.

I will support my team (our team) no matter what the situation and will not let the FO decisions taint my devotion, so I will bode farewell, yet not good luck, to Bruce and thank him for the many years of excitement and contribution. BUT just as it was a business move for him, this is a loyalty move for me.... he hath joined thy enemy so he hath best continue to get down wheneth he journey over the middle.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Bruce...for the last time

the way i see the letting go of Ike in regard to our off-season so far is its like theyve made a cake and taken out the sugar....hopefully we will get the cream in the draft to sweeten it up a lil !

bigredman is offline Registered User

For crying out loud, who is this Bruce fellow people keep wanting to talk about. Is it some ghost from days gone by that has no relevance to the Rams today? I mean, why are people fascinated about talking of a person who is dead and gone to whiner hell? I don't get it.

Honestly, they could be twins.
    Last edited by bigredman; -03-26-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

moklerman is offline Registered User

The Reverend looks good as a Trojan...

(he'll be wearing #88 for his current team, just in case anyone else wants to have some fun with photoshop).

Shame on anyone who tries to paint Bruce as the villain.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    The Reverend looks good as a Trojan...

(he'll be wearing #88 for his current team, just in case anyone else wants to have some fun with photoshop).

Shame on anyone who tries to paint Bruce as the villain.
    Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone paing Bruce as a villain. That would be a terrible thing.

I have seen him painted as an ex-Ram who now plays for a different team thereby making him irrelevant to the Rams. That is a reality thing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Thank you Hubison for that is the way I intended it to be. I don't agree with the Benedict Arnold comparison in that I believe the team could and should have done a bit more to keep him in the blue and gold. However, what's done is done and although I wouldn't proclaim him to be a villian...he is now a representative of the team I despise the most. That being said, I wish him well in his personal life but I hope his current employer fails miserably.

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    Thank you Hubison for that is the way I intended it to be. I don't agree with the Benedict Arnold comparison in that I believe the team could and should have done a bit more to keep him in the blue and gold. However, what's done is done and although I wouldn't proclaim him to be a villian...he is now a representative of the team I despise the most. That being said, I wish him well in his personal life but I hope his current employer fails miserably.
    I hate em too. But the rams DID try to keep him. But our cap situation isn't the most flexible and we actually offered him and pretty damn good deal ($3million/yr) over the 5m he was asking. For a guy his age you would think that would be a convincing offer especially when he's been with us for...EVER. Don't blame the Ram's on this one, he took the high road.