Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bruce's comments on his move

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    As for being dead, come on, I know he's not on the team but he will live forever in our Ram hearts as the guy who scored the late TD to win the Superbowl. He's always going to be a Ram to me no matter what team he decides to play for. Does it sicken me to no degree? Yeah of course, but 20 years from now, we all know that he's a Ram and will ALWAYS be a ram.
    I agree. In fact I plan on wearing my Ike jersey to every game I go to this year.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Bruce also made some of his own decisions in this that deserve as much criticisms and support that some of us have given to the team, and in the big scheme of things he is not as innocent as he seems to be.
    Let's put aside that the Rams may have promised him some money and then reneged. So let's forget that for now for the sake of this discussion.

In the big scheme of things how is Bruce not as innocent as he seems to be? I'm trying to understand where you're coming from.

Here is what I see, he became Mr. Ram by his play on the field and his demeanor off of the field. He got cut and redid his deal to help the Rams out when they asked him to 2 years ago. Now this time he felt he was worth more than what the Rams offered and he left. I don't blame him for not redoing his deal twice in 3 years, especially for the amount of money we were talking about. So how is he not as innocent as he seems to be?

Here is what I see from the Rams side. They offered him 3 mil straight up instead of the 5 they owed him to help our cap. I never expected the Rams to spend big money in Free Agency and I said so before all of this happened. There was very little value this year in the Free Agent market. So I'm not one of those people who got all bent out of shape because we didn't overspend in a weak Free Agent market. In fact I like that we didn't give big money to guys like Faneca and Berrian. I think we did well in Free Agency for what was there.

On the flipside I think we are thin at WR. We have Holt with knee problems, Bennett who can't seem to stay healthy and then a few young guys and most likely a rookie or two. So purely from a business/Rams team standpoint I think they made a mistake not keeping Bruce for two reasons. One we need the depth, and two the leadership he brings. I don't think the price tag was too high.

The bottom line is I've been a Rams fan for 27 years, and always will be a Rams fan. Nothing will change that. I also hope Bruce does well for himself because he earned it, it's too bad he's a whiner but such is life. I hope the whiners stink, nothing will change that either. I'm looking forward to the day where Bruce comes back and retires as a Ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    thats a bit harsh don't you think,as Varg6 just said 20 years from now Bruce will be remembered as a Ram and it's hard to think about him with the niners,I am sure it was a more difficult decision to make than Ike is leading on.

Do you think Joe Montana and think of the Chiefs?

Is Jim Youngblood remembered as a Redskin? Jim Everett as a Saint (in either sense)?

This could be a virtually endless list.

There are those who disown the team where they had their greatest measure of success (such as Marcus Allen) but for the most part they are remembered for where they were most successful.

Rather ambiguous but I hope a point is in there, somewhere... :\
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

RB,

I respect the love you have for the guy. He too is my favorite Ram as he is with many. The difference is I see the business side of this. Both the Rams and Issac have moved on, why can't we? This is the same argument that has been going on for how many years about Warner. We fans need to start putting the team first not the players. This is what Green Bay fans have. This is what makes them special. They understand losing one player will not beat them down. They lost Favre...they are hurt and upset and many feel cheated because the team never pursued Moss for Bret, but you know what...they will move on and there entire franchise will still be successful. There will be no hating on the team and people will still buy tickets and paint there house green and gold. No one comes into their forum and says they are going to stop cheering for their team now and go cheer on the Bills. They love their team as much as Bret Favre. Bret Favre is not the Green Bay Packers. As is Issac Bruce is not the St. Louis Rams. That is what I am trying to drive home.

Hate the game....not the playa ;-)

RamWraith is offline Registered User

As far as Bruce ever being cheated financially by the Rams..I think not!!!

wb_fan put together a nice list of wide receiver salaries over the last six years. Has Bruce not got everything he was deserved?

Name Total Avg Per Year
    Harrison $42,060,165 $7,010,027.50
    Owens $41,258,329 $6,876,388.17
    Bruce $31,495,700 $5,249,283.33
    Moss $30,787,233 $5,131,205.50
    Coles $29,444,600 $4,907,433.33
    C. Johnson $28,057,380 $4,676,230.00
    Muhummad $27,329,417 $4,554,902.83
    Horn $27,208,120 $4,534,686.67
    A. Johnson $26,875,560 $5,375,112.00
    R. Smith $26,623,191 $4,437,198.50
    Toomer $25,794,400 $4,299,066.67
    Holt $25,394,400 $4,232,400.00
    Moulds $24,865,000 $4,144,166.67
    Mason $24,813,350 $4,135,558.33
    S. Smith $24,228,553 $4,038,092.17
    Wayne $22,951,020 $3,825,170.00
    Booker $22,605,880 $3,767,646.67
    H. Ward $22,027,610 $3,671,268.33
    Chambers $21,539,000 $3,589,833.33
    Branch $20,999,271 $3,499,878.50
    K. Johnson $20,509,580 $4,101,916.00
    Stallworth $20,085,020 $3,347,503.33
    R. Williams $19,537,500 $4,884,375.00
    Jackson $19,246,440 $3,207,740.00
    Fitzgerald $17,589,930 $4,397,482.50

Ramer is offline Registered User

I get your point ramsanddodgers, you said it perfectly. 10 years from now when someone brings up Bruce, you are instantly going to think of when he played with the Rams.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Can we take a look at this from a different point of view for a minute?

So far it's been all about the RAMS and how they shafted Bruce or at least tried to. It's been stated that for another measly Million dollars we could have kept him. 1 Million dollars in the scheme of things from the RAMS pocket book is pocket change. I don't disagree and I am sad about this turn of events.

However

What about Bruce himself. I would have have thought that he wanted to finish out his career as a RAM? He will definitely be entered into the HALL of Fame as a RAM and his number should be retired by the RAMS when he decides he's had enough.

Back to the 1 Million:

Bruce himself is a Millionaire I would assume. If he's not shame on him. So even though 1 Million means a bit more to an individual player than it does to a franchise in the grand scheme of things, I would think he could afford to bite the bullet and play where he is the most loved and respected. At least by the fans.

I'm not saying I'm absolutely right but this has been on my mind for a few days now.

#80 will always be in my heart and memories. Just wish he would have worked this out and stayed with our RAMS. Also of all teams to go to the freakin' WHINERS?!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

IMO our first mistake is trying to find blame in this situation. To find blame implies there is fault; and I don't see any fault. A business deal was offered, but a point of agreement couldn't be reached. Both sides did what they felt was right. The Rams did what they felt was in the best interest of the Rams. Bruce did what he felt was in the best interest of Bruce. There is no blame, just a lack of agreement.

Bruce is now playing in bizarro world, and it is a strange sight for the fans. But that's because we are invested in a team and a jersey. These players are NOT invested in a team, but in their own career. Again, that's just a fact of the game, nothing to fault.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I think the point should be that there are a lot of assumptions we all make about what both sides are thinking. For the past week I have heard a lot of trash talk about the Rams decisions. These decisions did not come easy I am sure for either side. Again, it takes two parties to tango. Bruce also made some of his own decisions in this that deserve as much criticisms and support that some of us have given to the team, and in the big scheme of things he is not as innocent as he seems to be.

The bottom line...both parties made a business decision and did what they felt was right for themselves. No one cares or gives a damn what we think, Bruce included. He will be missed and never forgotten. BUT as long as he plays not wearing the horns and until he decides to step off the field for good he will be considered the enemy in my books. Long live the Rams...
    Very well said RW. It's just two parties that couldn't come to an aggrement & seprated ways. It's the perfect couple you always thought that would be together forever, but as with alot of couples finances seem to get the better of them.
    When I see Bruce play now I will no longer root for him playing for the dreaded niners, nor will I boo him. I have a lot of respect for Rev. Ike & what he has done for this great franchise on & off the field.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

There isn't blame. Bruce is right, it's just business. Feel fortunate we were able to watch him play for as long as we did.

Bruce is now playing in bizarro world,

Hub, Way to show your love for your Cali brothers.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    On the flipside I think we are thin at WR. We have Holt with knee problems, Bennett who can't seem to stay healthy and then a few young guys and most likely a rookie or two. So purely from a business/Rams team standpoint I think they made a mistake not keeping Bruce for two reasons. One we need the depth, and two the leadership he brings. I don't think the price tag was too high.
    I couldn't agree more ramsbruce. IMO, the case could be made that Ike was our best, most dependable WR at a time when we're looking suspect, and letting him go was not only a bad public relations move, it was a bad business move, and ultimately a bad player personnel move.

Business is business, but the bottom line is not always the best course of action.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    Bruce is now playing in bizarro world,

Hub, Way to show your love for your Cali brothers.
    Not bizarro in a geographical sense, but in a matter-antimatter sense. Bruce has become the exact opposite (ie. bizarro world) of what he has been (at least to us) for his entire professional career.

Nothing against Cali.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Not bizarro in a geographical sense, but in a matter-antimatter sense. Bruce has become the exact opposite (ie. bizarro world) of what he has been (at least to us) for his entire professional career.

Nothing against Cali.
    O, I thought you might be taking a lil jab @ sf o well it was still kinda of funny for me

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's just hope that the next time the Rams play the Niners, there are four pass plays to Bruce resulting in TDs...

Atogwe intercepts the ball, and he's gone!
    Hill picks it off and he's going to go in untouched!
    Smith is hit by Carriker, the ball is loose Witherspoon picks it up and he will score!
    Smith, looking for Bruce, and its picked off by Wade... nobody's going to catch him!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast