r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger Might Get Rude Welcome Here

Bulger might get rude welcome here

BY BILL COATS
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not that he's losing any sleep over it, but Marc Bulger knows he might receive a rude reception Thursday night when his new team, the Baltimore Ravens, visits the Edward Jones Domes.

"I've been so busy trying to learn the offense here and learn everyone's name around the building and learn teammates' names, I haven't thought about it," Bulger said Tuesday in a telephone interview. "I can see it going either way."

After spending most of eight seasons as the Rams' first-team quarterback, Bulger was released in early April — about three weeks before the club took Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford with the first pick in the draft.

Bulger, 33, wasn't surprised he was let go after last season's 1-15 finish capped a three-year slide in which the Rams went 6-42.

"It was my responsibility to get us to win more games, and I didn't get it done," he said. "I figured that it would've been my head, and it was. I completely understand it. That's how this business works."

Still, Bulger wasn't eager to leave the town that he's decided to make his home.

"I have great memories. I can't believe I was there pretty much a decade," he said. "I met a lot of good friends that I'll be friends with forever. ... It'll actually be nice to get home and hang a little bit with my wife (Mavis) and baby (Elsa, 5 months) over the weekend."

A sixth-round draft pick by New Orleans in 2000, Bulger arrived in St. Louis as a free agent in 2001. He backed up Kurt Warner that season, then moved into the starting lineup the next season because of injuries to Warner and Jamie Martin.

The Rams won 18 of the first 22 games that Bulger started. He went on to earn Pro Bowl selections in 2003 and 2006. But starting in '07, Bulger's fortunes — and the team's — plummeted.

The Rams prevailed in just five of Bulger's last 35 starts. During that span, his completion rate, at least 63.0 percent in each of the previous five seasons, dipped to 57.4. A succession of injuries, ranging from a fractured shinbone to broken ribs to shoulder woes, chipped away at Bulger, hampering his effectiveness and turning him into a popular target for critics.

"You can't really play this game based on ... how people are going to receive you," running back Steven Jackson said. "Everyone at some point becomes a goat, I guess. That's unfortunate that he took a lot of blame that I don't think was fair. ... He was a great teammate for six years. He helped me grow a lot, especially in some of the things that I've been doing as a receiver. He's helped me build confidence in that area of my game.

"I have a soft spot for Marc. We're good friends, so regardless what uniform he has on, I know the person, and that's what matters."

Bulger signed with the Ravens in mid-July. He's back in a No. 2 spot, behind Joe Flacco. Bulger said he's just now feeling the effects of his change in roles.

"Preseason's not too much different. I know I'm working with the 'twos,' but you get about the same amount of reps as the 'ones,'" he said. "Starting with the third week and now into the fourth week, my reps are starting to cut back. So I've noticed a difference more probably in the last week than earlier in camp.

"It'll be a little adjustment once the season starts."

Flacco, 25, is entering his third season as the Ravens' quarterback. He's coming off a breakout season in which he hit on 63.1 percent of his passes, threw for 3,613 yards and guided Baltimore into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

Bulger is a willling tutor, but as he noted, Flacco "knows the ins and outs of (the) offense a little better than me right now. ...

"But I think we're starting to get a relationship now where he kind of takes what he wants from me and discards what he doesn't," Bulger continued. "He's an impressive quarterback. I see him going to multiple Pro Bowls."

Several publications have tagged the Ravens as favorites in the AFC North. After the struggles the last few years with the Rams, Bulger is eagerly anticipating a successful season.

"I think we've got a pretty good team here," he said. "To have your expectations to go the playoffs, win the division, obviously the Super Bowl ... it's pretty exciting to be back in that atmosphere."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger Might Get Rude Welcome Here

Yeah right! He hasn't thought about it?!

That's a load of bunk!

Welcome back Marc!!!!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I hope the fans show the same class as Jackson.

They don't have to clap but they sure as hell shouldn't boo.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll never understand the disdain for Marc Bulger, the person. A good guy who sacrificed so much for the Rams. If I was at the game I'd be giving him a standing ovation.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I assume it'll be similar to the Bears-Broncos preseason game where there'll be people booing on Bulger more than cheering for him, god I hope they don't show those Bulger bashing signs on the TV...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger Might Get Rude Welcome Here
    I have faith in Rams Nation that they will show more class than that. Don't let me down, Rams Nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Jackson
    "Everyone at some point becomes a goat, I guess. That's unfortunate that he took a lot of blame that I don't think was fair. ... He was a great teammate for six years. He helped me grow a lot, especially in some of the things that I've been doing as a receiver. He's helped me build confidence in that area of my game.

"I have a soft spot for Marc. We're good friends, so regardless what uniform he has on, I know the person, and that's what matters."
    Dang. If only Bulger would have yelled more, maybe his teammates would show him more respect.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It will be rather shameful for the fanbase if they actually boo Marc for his return. I know there were some that never warmed up to the guy because of whom he replaced, but there's really no need for that kind of reaction at the game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Bulger, 33, wasn't surprised he was let go after last season's 1-15 finish capped a three-year slide in which the Rams went 6-42.

"It was my responsibility to get us to win more games, and I didn't get it done," he said. "I figured that it would've been my head, and it was. I completely understand it. That's how this business works."

Still, Bulger wasn't eager to leave the town that he's decided to make his home.

"I have great memories. I can't believe I was there pretty much a decade," he said. "I met a lot of good friends that I'll be friends with forever. ... It'll actually be nice to get home and hang a little bit with my wife (Mavis) and baby (Elsa, 5 months) over the weekend."
    With this said by him, plus his St. Louie support, I seriously doubt anybody would boo him. He is a class act, even admitting defeat. His humility is a good example for the prima donnas of the league that blame others and make media circus mayhem. I know we have a classy fanbase, not like cough, cough raiders. I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

Go Bulger, only not against us!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'll never understand the disdain for Marc Bulger, the person. A good guy who sacrificed so much for the Rams. If I was at the game I'd be giving him a standing ovation.
    I would be ,too. Still, I don't think he'll be too affected by any boos after all the real beatings he took while the team fell apart around him. He has also looked wicked sharp this preseason, esp in the Wash game; the quick release & accuracy are back. He'll be a good test for the Rams defense.

I also saw him low-five-ing his offensive unit at one point as they came off the field after a pretty effective series & actually smiling. Looked to me like he's enjoying his football again & I couldn't be happier for him.