Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger never got the credit he deserved

I think it's safe to say for the most part that even at the top of his game, when he was among the league leaders in stats, making Pro Bowls and leading the Rams to the playoffs, Marc Bulger did not get the credit he deserved from the fan base. When he was lighting it up and the team was winning, it was a product of those around him and the system, when he began to falter and the team lost, it was all Bulger. He could never win either way.

It's really too bad that a player who sacrificed and gave so much to the franchise, will always be scorned by so many.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I think it's safe to say for the most part that even at the top of his game, when he was among the league leaders in stats, making Pro Bowls and leading the Rams to the playoffs, Marc Bulger did not get the credit he deserved from the fan base. When he was lighting it up and the team was winning, it was a product of those around him and the system, when he began to falter and the team lost, it was all Bulger. He could never win either way.

It's really too bad that a player who sacrificed and gave so much to the franchise, will always be scorned by so many.
    That right, Bulger really should be scorned, if not burned at the stake!
    He got his chance to lead this team and failed miserably, and GOT paid!
    WE need a QB that can WIN "either way", Hopefully Sam Bradford will be that guy.
    Bulger deserves no credit, He's done nothing for the Rams!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    That right, Bulger really should be scorned, if not burned at the stake! He got his chance to lead this team and failed miserably, and GOT paid! WE need a QB that can WIN "either way", Hopefully Sam Bradford will be that guy. Bulger deserves no credit, He's done nothing for the Rams!
    Coming from the biggest Bulger basher here and someone who enjoys getting under peoples skin, I'll just chuckle and take your post with a grain of salt.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    If we had a stable team instead of declining, Marc Bulger would have continued to be a Pro-Bowl QB, and our records would definitely not have been horrible.
    Stable in what sense? We kept the core of the offense together for a long time--arguably too long. Pace, Bruce and Holt were all still around when Bulger's stats took a nose dive and when the team's win-loss ratio dived as well. The team suffered the effects of age and injury, but no team is immune to those factors.

Also, I have never heard of a terrible QB making the Pro-Bowl.
    Not that I would use this as an argument against Bulger, but Vince Young has made 2 Pro Bowls.

In 2009, Young was 27th in the league in passing yards last season, 22nd in completion percentage, and 18th in QB rating. He was in the bottom half of the league in virtually every major statistical category and still made the Pro Bowl.

In 2006 (his other Pro Bowl season), he was ranked 26th in passing yards, 32nd in completion percentage (behind Michael Vick!), 30th in QB rating, and threw more interceptions than touchdowns. He was then benched for most of the next season. I don't know what your definition of terrible is, but bottom quartile among starting quarterbacks isn't what I'd call good.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Stable in what sense? We kept the core of the offense together for a long time--arguably too long. Pace, Bruce and Holt were all still around when Bulger's stats took a nose dive and when the team's win-loss ratio dived as well. The team suffered the effects of age and injury, but no team is immune to those factors.

Not that I would use this as an argument against Bulger, but Vince Young has made 2 Pro Bowls.

In 2009, Young was 27th in the league in passing yards last season, 22nd in completion percentage, and 18th in QB rating. He was in the bottom half of the league in virtually every major statistical category and still made the Pro Bowl.

In 2006 (his other Pro Bowl season), he was ranked 26th in passing yards, 32nd in completion percentage (behind Michael Vick!), 30th in QB rating, and threw more interceptions than touchdowns. He was then benched for most of the next season. I don't know what your definition of terrible is, but bottom quartile among starting quarterbacks isn't what I'd call good.
    Add derek anderson to that list of bad qbs making the prob bowl. Bulger deserves no credit and was never the leader we needed. Only reason bulger was MILDY successful is from the greatest show on turf left overs.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

You know, I don't think there has ever been a topic that brings out the worst in this forum. It's really unfortunate that some people can't at least shed their negative attitude long enough to at least not respond with that sort of attitude to a topic about a player no longer on the team.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Stable in the sense that:

* The players wouldn't be disgruntled with the coach.

* The coach would have a good sense of how football works.

* The whole team wouldn't have to battle nagging injuries.

* That the starting offensive line would not contain Alex Barron, Milford Brown, Andy McCollum, Todd Steussie, and Brandon Gorin.

*That we wouldn't have bad additions to the team like Drew Bennett.

And a lot more.

It's clear every team suffers from age and injuries, but the 2007 St. Louis Rams was clearly the most mangled, torn up team during that season.

Well you are in fact using this as an argument.

But let's get on with this shall we.

In 2009, Vince Young made the Pro-Bowl due to a number of reasons that I personally don't completely agree with, but here's the facts.

1) He reclaimed his starting spot on the roster, and rallied his team to 5 straight wins after the Kerry Collins-led Titans started 0-6 for the season, and ending the season with a respectable 8-8 record.

2) He was third place in the NFL Comeback Player of the Year voting.

3) He was the Sporting News Comeback Player of the Year.

4) He was nominated to the 2009 Pro-Bowl because Ben Roethlisberger and Carson Palmer declined to take the place of injured Phillip Rivers due to their respective injuries.

As for the 2006 Pro-Bowl, in his rookie season, Vince Young made the Pro-Bowl because:

1) He led his team to several come-from-behind victories which included the Colts, Giants, and Bills, a remarkable feat for a rookie quarterback.

2) He held the NFL record for rushing yards by a rookie quarterback with 552 yards.

3) He became only one of three rookie quarterbacks to ever win the Associated Press NFL Rookie of the Year award.

4) He led his team to 6 straight wins to get them within range of a playoff berth.

5) He was nominated to the 2006 Pro-Bowl because Phillip Rivers was injured, and other quarterbacks declined due to personal reasons or because of injuries.

And personally, I don't think Vince Young is a terrible quarterback.

Since some Bulger Bashers love calling the guy "terrible", I responded with the fact that terrible players don't make Pro-Bowls and have the success Bulger did.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -06-27-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Proof positive that you can indeed beat a dead horse after it has bolted.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

So, what happens if 6-8 weeks into the season if Joe Flacko goes down (*god forbid) and Bulger steps behind Matt Birk and starts playing like he did in 2003-2006?
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -06-27-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    So, what happens if 6-8 weeks into the season if Joe Flacko goes down (*god forbid) and Bulger steps behind Matt Birk and starts playing like he did in 2003-2006?
    It will be attributed to the talent around him, of course.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -06-28-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I noticed I got a negative rep for speaking my mind on Marc Bulger. Sort of like, "I don't like what you said so here's what I'm gonna do about it". Negative rep.

That's fine with me, but keep your hand on that button because there's undoubtedly more to come.

You could've taken all of them away and my opinion would still be the same, so what's your point?
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -06-27-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well you are in fact using this as an argument.

But let's get on with this shall we.
    What I meant was that just because the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest doesn't mean I'd argue that it somehow detracts from Bulger's accomplishments.

There's a bit of a double standard in arguing that Vince "led" his team to victories, while Marc deserves no blame for failing to win. I think the truth of the matter is somewhere in between in both cases. Young benefited from being on a talented team that ran the ball and didn't deserve as much of the credit as he got.

Bulger played on a team that was first and foremost powered by its passing attack, which meant that expectations were always going to be higher. He should have gotten more credit when he was successful, but when the offense floundered, he deserved a rightful share of the blame. From 2003-2006, it was clear how important Bulger was to the success of the team. The proof could be seen when he would get injured and the quality of the attack dropped off substantially. From 2007 on, there wasn't really that much difference in the results regardless of whether it was Bulger on the field or Frerotte or Green or Boller.

Odds are that Bulger will be remembered as one of the better Rams quarterbacks but far short of a legend. And I think that's fair. At the height of his career, he wasn't the best quarterback in the league. He wasn't one of the three or four guys people would argue about being the best. But he was just behind those guys. I see Carson Palmer now about how I saw Bulger then. If he had performed at the same high level for say 10-15 years, people might be talking about him in the same breath as Marino as a guy who was really good but never won the big one. Except Bulger only had about 4 1/2 good years. I don't think there are many left who would say Bulger was never any good, but at the same time his legacy (along with Martz's) will be that window where we could have done something special and instead we were just pretty good.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I noticed I got a negative rep for speaking my mind on Marc Bulger. Sort of like, "I don't like what you said so here's what I'm gonna do about it". Negative rep.

That's fine with me, but keep your hand on that button because there's undoubtedly more to come.

You could've taken all of them away and my opinion would still be the same, so what's your point?
    As I understand it, the rep system is a way for a member of this forum to show pleasure or displeasure at someone else's post, in a mainly private manner.The object is not to change an opinion of someone's but to show displeasure.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

He should have gotten more credit when he was successful, but when the offense floundered, he deserved a rightful share of the blame.
    I very much agree with this, bulger does deserve some blame for not preforming up to par, very understandable for a fan to be upset. However I do not like fans that heap all the teams problems on Bulgers plate so they have one scapegoat to poke fun at, instead of passing the blame around, I am sure everyone can agree that there was more then one problem on the teams of 07,08,09.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Odds are that Bulger will be remembered as one of the better Rams quarterbacks but far short of a legend. And I think that's fair. At the height of his career, he wasn't the best quarterback in the league. He wasn't one of the three or four guys people would argue about being the best. But he was just behind those guys. I see Carson Palmer now about how I saw Bulger then. If he had performed at the same high level for say 10-15 years, people might be talking about him in the same breath as Marino as a guy who was really good but never won the big one. Except Bulger only had about 4 1/2 good years. I don't think there are many left who would say Bulger was never any good, but at the same time his legacy (along with Martz's) will be that window where we could have done something special and instead we were just pretty good.
    I think in the next few years he will be remembered as one of the top 3 qb's in rams history, behind Norm and Kurt. A player that exceeded his expectations coming in. I dont think he should be remembered as a GREAT QB because he simply was not. He was a very good qb who had a deal of good luck starting out and then a deal of bad luck ending his stay.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

As a quote from police academy " Too bad, So sad, Bye Bye! And yes we could have pursued a better vet.Wasn't like Bulger was playing like Brady off the bench! Oh wait, He was off the charts...........Fart sound LOL
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast