Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger never got the credit he deserved

YouTube - Steve Miller Band - Take The Money And Run

I do appreciate the way he played through injuries, and on a team with little to no talent on the recieving core the last few years, but you'll never be able to convince me he stopped trying as hard once he got his payday. His energy and will on the field, seemed to diminsh in my opinion.

It may be a coincidence, but the stats seem to agree:

Notice the decline for every season after he got his six-year, $62.5 million contract after the 2006 season (especially Completion %, TD-INT Ratio & Passer Rating.) I think this is the reason I, and many other Rams fans, felt so bitter towards him. Not only did his play hurt the team the last three seasons, his contract, and the burden that came with it, really handicapped the Rams's overall salary and in it's ability to find a better solution at QB. Had he been making less, chances were very good he would have been cut after the 2008 season.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Right.

Never mind that some other things happened around that time period.

Decline of Isaac Bruce.

Decline of Torry Holt.

Decline of Orlando Pace.

Did they all stop trying too?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Religion, politics, and Bulger........everybody militantly sticks to their viewpoint, and minds will be neither opened nor changed.

I have two comments for this thread:

1. With regard to dgr828's assertion of....
    His O-line began to lose respect for him, his Receivers began to lose faith in him
    .......I eagerly await one shred of evidence pointing to this notion. It doesn't exist, but I will wait for it anyway.

2. For any member who would like to whine and moan about how the Mods are too strict and even "Nazi"-like, this thread begs to differ.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ahhh, the good ole QB position. Gets too much credit for wins, gets too much blame for losses. When Warner was doing his magic, he had a back that was like a coach on the field and 5 WRs that were amazing. The depth of that WR corp was something that hasn't been duplicated since by anyone. Throw in a top ten defense and man, what a QB.

Forward to Bulger. When he had his shot with GSOT he was stellar. Bruce got old, Hold got hobbled, Faulk retired, and the defense got cherry picked by other teams. Mix in some bad drafts and bad FA signings and boy was that QB horrible.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ahhh, the good ole QB position. Gets too much credit for wins, gets too much blame for losses. When Warner was doing his magic, he had a back that was like a coach on the field and 5 WRs that were amazing. The depth of that WR corp was something that hasn't been duplicated since by anyone. Throw in a top ten defense and man, what a QB.

Forward to Bulger. When he had his shot with GSOT he was stellar. Bruce got old, Hold got hobbled, Faulk retired, and the defense got cherry picked by other teams. Mix in some bad drafts and bad FA signings and boy was that QB horrible.
    tx's take on this really should be etched on a plate or stitched in a pillow somewhere.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    There's a bit of a double standard in arguing that Vince "led" his team to victories, while Marc deserves no blame for failing to win. I think the truth of the matter is somewhere in between in both cases. Young benefited from being on a talented team that ran the ball and didn't deserve as much of the credit as he got.
    I agree Vince Young was a bit overhyped. He was a big news story, and though he did in fact earn some of that hype, I personally believe that he didn't deserve all the credit that he received, like you said.

Bulger played on a team that was first and foremost powered by its passing attack, which meant that expectations were always going to be higher. He should have gotten more credit when he was successful, but when the offense floundered, he deserved a rightful share of the blame. From 2003-2006, it was clear how important Bulger was to the success of the team. The proof could be seen when he would get injured and the quality of the attack dropped off substantially. From 2007 on, there wasn't really that much difference in the results regardless of whether it was Bulger on the field or Frerotte or Green or Boller.
    From 2007 on, I think it's safe to say our team was so messed up, it wouldn't really have mattered if Peyton Manning was our QB. We had holes and weaknesses everywhere. It was a mess.

Odds are that Bulger will be remembered as one of the better Rams quarterbacks but far short of a legend. And I think that's fair. At the height of his career, he wasn't the best quarterback in the league. He wasn't one of the three or four guys people would argue about being the best. But he was just behind those guys. I see Carson Palmer now about how I saw Bulger then. If he had performed at the same high level for say 10-15 years, people might be talking about him in the same breath as Marino as a guy who was really good but never won the big one. Except Bulger only had about 4 1/2 good years. I don't think there are many left who would say Bulger was never any good, but at the same time his legacy (along with Martz's) will be that window where we could have done something special and instead we were just pretty good.

I agree with you. I don't think he's a great quarterback, but I do think he deserves a bit more credit from the majority of Rams fans.

Still, IMO, the reason Bulger's career ran afoul was mainly because of what happened to this team.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Notice the decline for every season after he got his six-year, $62.5 million contract after the 2006 season (especially Completion %, TD-INT Ratio & Passer Rating.) I think this is the reason I, and many other Rams fans, felt so bitter towards him. Not only did his play hurt the team the last three seasons, his contract, and the burden that came with it, really handicapped the Rams's overall salary and in it's ability to find a better solution at QB. Had he been making less, chances were very good he would have been cut after the 2008 season.

Also, notice at the same time he did not start all the games due to injuries, and our team was in a transitional mode from mediocre to pathetic.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I was on the sideline for Bulger's first start. It was great to see him lead the 0-5 Rams over the 5-0 Raiders in a game in which we were the huge underdog.

After the game was over, Kurt Warner ran into me with his arm cast as he was running up to his wife. He didn't even say excuse me, or anything. (David, what is the statute of limitations to file an injury lawsuit?)

I still have the ball from the kickoff just a few feet away from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger came in to replace Warner under the Offensive Mad Scientist Martz. Bulger played well under the big play offense that Martz liked to run. But he he also had the horses "everywhere". When Martz left the decline started except for what 1 season under Linehan? No Bulger shouldn't take all the blame for the rapid decline but he was part of it...a big part of it. The problem is that this is a what have you done for me lately situation. The 3-13, 2-14 and 1-15 records are what is freshest on everyone's mind and unfortunately Marc Bulger was the "leader" of those teams.

It is/was time for a change for both the RAMS and Marc Bulger.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Understanding the Bulger Era is also to be realistic. Once Martz left he was basically not the focus of the offense. It became more of running game mentality. This caused Bulger to become a victim with all the coaches in the carousel. He was a good solid QB given some tools and protection. He proved that in his record season and pro bowls.
    But in the end it was deadman walking and he was just bruised to the point where vocal was not going to fix things. He is a solid backup on any NFL team now that he is prone to injuries.
    I appreciated Bulger for his grit and toughness to keep coming out every Sunday with a pop warner offensive lines.
    I wish him well. And he was a good player in his tenure with all the turmoil from Martz to Linehan and Now Spags.
    Thanks Marc Bulger for your contributions.
    THE FIELD GOAL

airjacobs is offline Registered User

I liked Bulger, but this sounds a little unfair. In addition, if he didn't get to the superbowl it's because he couldn't produce against the Panthers. I know, I know 300 yards passing, but 3 Int's? I'm glad I got to see that game again. I hope he does well in Baltimore, but this dude is done. He will not have the same success as Warner in AZ.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I appreciate Marc and at one point he was a top 5 QB in the league but after 2006 that was not the case. I couldn't tell you the reason why but he became a very below average QB very quickly. You can try and blame the players around him but that isn't a viable excuse because his fall was fast and complete in one season which leads me to believe it was injury related. Anyone that saw games in person could see the difference in his accuracy. Marc was one of the best QBs in the history of the game (IMO) at the out pattern when he was going strong. When he lost that touch / accuracy, everything else became exposed.

JustinPoole is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger is my hero.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234