RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Bunkley arrested

BUNKLEY BUST NEWS TO EAGLES

Profootballtalk.com has caught wind of strong rumors in Philly that unsigned Eagles first-round draft pick Brodrick Bunkley has been arrested for having a loaded handgun on the dashboard of his car.

The arrest, which per the rumors was made by the Delaware River Port Authority on one of the bridges connecting Pennsylvania to New Jersey, happened at least a week ago. An effort was made to get the charges dropped quietly, but prosecutors (we're told) have refused to do so.

Meanwhile, early word out of the Eagles organization is that they haven't heard of any arrest. In response, our source for the rumor says that official news of the charges won't break until Friday.

Bunkley was the fourteenth overall pick in the 2006 draft. He currently is unsigned even though the team opened camp earlier this week. The major sticking point reportedly has been the length of the deal -- the team wants six years, and Bunkley's agent, Gary Wichard, will agree only to a five-year term.

Anyone second guessing us not drafting him now?

RamsFan16

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: Bunkley arrested

I never wanted him...
    Built RAM tough

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Anyone second guessing us not drafting him now?
    I don't think anyone was second guessing us not drafting him to begin with, let alone now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Yea I never wanted him too...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There is a bit of irony here. Claude Wroten, who was considered a first round talent, drops to the third round and is labeled a "high risk" selection because he had some marijuana in his car.

Bunkley gets drafted in the first round, and now is arrested for having a gun in his car.

Timing is everything.

Chiledog is offline Registered User

What's with pro athletes and guns anyway? Why do we see so many of them having brushes with the law. It's obviously not because they need to steal to eat (or support a habit.) Do they tend to frequent dangerous areas? Or hang out with dangerous people? Are they paranoid and feel they need to have a gun with them? I'm scratching my head at the frequency of this sort of thing.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    Are they paranoid and feel they need to have a gun with them?
    Well, Dwight Smith got robbed at gunpoint (I believe it was reported to be an assault rifle) when visiting his family over the summer, so I'm sure protection plays some kind of role. When you're a pro athlete and people know intimate details about your paycheck, it can make you a target. Not saying that justifies it, but that's probably part of the mindset.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

could this affect our chances of signing Tye Hill quicker? Bunckley was drafted one spot ahead of Hill so his contract would affect that of Hill's

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Well, Dwight Smith got robbed at gunpoint (I believe it was reported to be an assault rifle) when visiting his family over the summer, so I'm sure protection plays some kind of role. When you're a pro athlete and people know intimate details about your paycheck, it can make you a target. Not saying that justifies it, but that's probably part of the mindset.
    I think that is part of it. Pro athletes are easily recognizable on sight, and people know they have money. In South America, many soccer players have had their families held for ransom. If you want an example that's closer to home, Eagles DE Jerome McDougle got shot last year during a robbery. He was in his car, and a group of teenagers with masks on came up to the car and started making demands. McDougle didn't offer any resistance, and he still got shot. Bunkley's going to the same team, same city.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

But can't they get registered weapons that are legal?

I do think it is a bad thing that people get robbed like, but there are only a few rams I would be able to recognize on the street while they are in a crowd.

general counsel is offline Registered User

LEts just call it what it is. There is a "thug mentality" with a certain percentage of players. NOt a majority, but plenty of them. Carrying guns gives them street cred.

whenever someone gets caught, we read about it, thus, the impression that it is more common than it actually is. That being said, plenty of these guys are hanging out in dangerous areas late at night, and that breeds trouble, even if they arent looking for it.

Many of these guys are spoiled rotten and there have never been any real reprecussions to their behavior. As star athletes, they have usually gotten away with just a slap on the wrist, thus, their behavior continues.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Zero Cool is offline Registered User

profootballtalk.com is the worst site ever. they also print false reports about players, it wasn't even bunkley who got arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Cool
    profootballtalk.com is the worst site ever. they also print false reports about players, it wasn't even bunkley who got arrested.
    Good catch. Checked KFFL, and saw this...

Eagles | Bunkley not arrested for possession of loaded gun - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:58:01 -0700

Zach Berman, of PhiladelphiaEagles.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid called reports that first-round pick DL Brodrick Bunkley had been arrested for possession of a loaded gun "false." Earlier reports had claimed Bunkley was arrested in the past week for having a loaded handgun on the dashboard of his car.