Rambos is offline Registered User

Cam Newton ripped in 'Charlotte Observer' cartoon

By Chris Chase, USA TODAY

Has Cam Newton lost Charlotte?

The second-year Carolina Panthers quarterback was the subject of a scathing editorial cartoon in Wedneday's edition of The Charlotte Observer. He's depicted performing his patented Superman touchdown celebration only to reveal a Hello Kitty logo on his chest.

CAPTION
    Kevin Siers, Charlotte Observer

The cartoon appears six days after the Panthers 36-7 loss to the New York Giants. Newton was roundly criticized for emphatically celebrated a touchdown with his team down 23-0 in the third quarter to the defending Super Bowl champions. Later in the game, veteran receiver Steve Smith reportedly had "unchoice words" for Newton after the quarterback sulked on the bench following his third interception.

His behavior in the postgame press conference was similarly sulky.

On Sunday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Newton was seeing a "mind coach" to help him deal with the pressures of being an NFL quarterback. Newton denied the report.

The 2011 No. 1 pick shattered a number of NFL rookie quarterback records last year, including for most passing and rushing yards. But his record as a starter is a middling 7-12 and this, evidently, is a cause for the city's newspaper to jump ship three games into his second season.

Chill out, Charlotte. Cam is under contract for two more seasons after this one. There will be plenty of time to make fun of him if he continues to lose (which I don't think he will).

Also, if you're going to rip the team's starting quarterback, do it the day after the game, not in the middle of the next week. With timely humor like this, I expect to see a cartoon in Thursday's edition poking fun at Newt Gingrich's presidential campaign.

Cam Newton ripped in 'Charlotte Observer' cartoon-render-x-wide-community.jpg
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-26-2012 at 04:24 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Cam Newton ripped in 'Charlotte Observer' cartoon

It'll be interesting to see how Newton responds. He's got a BIG test this Sunday against Atlanta. Seeing a "mind coach" gives me visions of Vince Young.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Cam Newton ripped in 'Charlotte Observer' cartoon

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how Newton responds. He's got a BIG test this Sunday against Atlanta. Seeing a "mind coach" gives me visions of Vince Young.
    I agree Mike, he takes it so hard, watching him in his presser is scary. Not sure why he is pressing, they need to add talent and he like Bradford needs to pay the price. I'm glad Bradford seems to be able to cope with the pressure.

RG3 at some point will have to deal with failure, it comes being playing QB in the NFL. I'm watching to see how he handles it. He seems to be taking it all on his shoulders right now. There is more and more concerns about the option runs and the beating he is taking...