RamWraith is offline Registered User

Cameron To Ravens

Oct 27th 2006
    775 posts
    Cam Cameron To Ravens!
    Wed Jan-23-08 11:31 AM

From ProFootballTalk.com -- The Best Pro Football Scoop on the Internet

RAVENS ADD CAMERON

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 23, 2008, 10:01 a.m.
    A league source tells PFT that the Baltimore Ravens have added former Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron to their coaching staff.
    Although official word on Cameronís title has not been released, it is assumed that he will be the Ravensí offensive coordinator. Cameron had a five-year stint as the Chargersí offensive coordinator before the Dolphins hired him a year ago.
    Cameron is the first high-profile hiring of new Ravens head coach John Harbaugh, who previously had been reported to be close to hiring Eagles quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur to be the Ravensí offensive coordinator.
    Next up for Harbaugh is securing a defensive coordinator. The Ravens would like to keep Rex Ryan on the staff, but Ryan may decide to head elsewhere after being passed over for the top job.

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

Re: Cameron To Ravens

No real surprise here. Though I really wanted Cam, the chances he'd come to the team in the lame duck state it's in was slim.

Maybe, by the time the Rams decide to make a move, all the good OC candidates will be taken.

But still. No Brian Billick.

btimsah Guest

Wow, that's pretty embarrassing. Cameron chose to pass up an offense with Bulger, Holt and Jackson for what the Ravens have.

Ouch. Linehan is such a detriment to this team.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From the Baltimore Sun...
    Former Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron is at the Ravens' headquarters in Owings Mills today and is negotiating with the team about becoming its offensive coordinator.

A team spokesman said the talks are ongoing. ESPN.com is reporting that Cameron has agreed to a deal in principle, but that has not been confirmed.
    So it's not confirmed yet.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2008 at 04:40 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

No, it hasn't been confirmed -- and like Dungy to retire or Les Miles to Michigan, sometimes that means nothing.

But in this case, it seems more likely. The Ravens are starting over with a new staff and a new coach that seems pretty green. (I was surprised when they hired a secondary coach.) Cameron could run his offense free of burden from a defensive head coach -- unlike he would in St Louis. Even though Scottie says he'd stay out, I'm sure he'd have his hands in Cam's business. And the fact that Harbaugh is so green, it'd make sense for them to have an experienced coordinator and former head coach (even for one absimal year) as OC/possible assistant coach.

That's a much better system for Cam to land in instead of a possible one year stunt as Rams OC.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Kind of interesting Cam's thought process to take the Ravens job. Cam could have come to the Rams and if Linehan was fired next year, he may have ended up getting the HC gig. Even new ownership, which won't happen in 2008 and probably not in 2009, would probably keep quality coaches for a year or two. A new owner/GM would probably love to have Cam to fall back on. I think Cam was tweaking the noses of our midget tag team of Shaw/Zygmunt by even "including" the Rams in his job search. Payback a mother.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's not overthink this. IF CC is a Raven (as Nick said, it ain't confirmed yet), maybe it's nothing more than money. We may be putting too much emphasis on which offense has the most to work with (which is debatable). Maybe the Rams are offering $X, and the Ravens are offering $X+1.

With the ownership in flux, Shawgmunt is (I assume) more concerned with the fiscal appeal of the team than the on-field appeal. And yes, there is a difference. Big money contracts don't translate so well on balance sheets.

Sometimes, it's just that simple.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJRamsGuy View Post
    No real surprise here.
    I'm not surprised either. Cameron had been on the Rams radar for some time and the inability to get a deal done pretty much indicated he wasn't enamored with being in St. Louis.

It makes sense that Cameron would go to Baltimore to be reunited with good friend and former coaching partner John Harbaugh.

Getting hired by a friend you've worked with in the past. Interesting.

eauclare is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Let's not overthink this. IF CC is a Raven (as Nick said, it ain't confirmed yet), maybe it's nothing more than money. We may be putting too much emphasis on which offense has the most to work with (which is debatable). Maybe the Rams are offering $X, and the Ravens are offering $X+1.

With the ownership in flux, Shawgmunt is (I assume) more concerned with the fiscal appeal of the team than the on-field appeal. And yes, there is a difference. Big money contracts don't translate so well on balance sheets.

Sometimes, it's just that simple.
    99 times out of 100, it's always about the $$$. Whether it be player, coach or GM. Well, I hope it's Zampese, though I've read he and Linny don't get along. Typical Rams, wait, wait some more and then get a lower tier player or coach.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

we can't get a good coach
    we can't draft
    we can't get good FA
    Our coach wont hire somebody because he is a better coach than Linehan

well thats not so bad.. regardless of all of that i think we will turn things around anyway.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

It's a done deal.

Cam Cameron was named the Ravens' offensive coordinator today, becoming the first hire under new head coach John Harbaugh.

Cameron, 46, was fired by the Miami Dolphins after they finished 1-15 in his only season as head coach.

But Cameron has a reputation for building explosive attacks as offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, who finished in the top 10 in offense between 2004 and 2006.

We're excited to get Cam, because he's a fine coach and a good person. He had other options," Harbaugh said in a statement. "Like me, he's a coach's son who lives and eats football. Because of that, we share many of the same philosophies about the game: We're going to be tough, we're going to be exciting, we're going to be disciplined, and we're going to play really hard. If we do those things on offense, and we take care of one another, good things will happen."

Harbaugh added, "Getting Cam makes this a very good day for the Ravens."

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Can't recall who posted it, but they quoted a Linehan interview where he, Linehan, wasn't in a rush to find a OC.

Well its official, Cameron is off to the Ravens. If Scotty really wanted Cameron on his staff, he missed the boat. Gee why am I not surprised? Actually am rather impatient on who he does hire as OC, its kinda waiting on seeing a train wreck you know is coming.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

well theres still brian billick i guess.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

How about the guy from Philly that Harbaugh was also considering, Pat Schurmur. I wonder if he's related to former Ram DC Fritz Shurmur. Man, good 'ol Fritz!! Some of you old timers (and you know who you are) probably remember him when he worked for John Robinson. Anybody else recall the "eagle" defense he invented? It consisted of 2 D. linemen and 5 linebackers...I kid you not!

WHAT SAY YE?

Drew is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    How about the guy from Philly that Harbaugh was also considering, Pat Schurmur. I wonder if he's related to former Ram DC Fritz Shurmur. Man, good 'ol Fritz!! Some of you old timers (and you know who you are) probably remember him when he worked for John Robinson. Anybody else recall the "eagle" defense he invented? It consisted of 2 D. linemen and 5 linebackers...I kid you not!

WHAT SAY YE?
    yeah i do,was about `89 if memory serves...he in later years went onto become DC for the Pack and won 2 SB rings,went to Seattle with Holmgren and then died of cancer!:\

i love the old-schoolers of coaches...aint many left now,is why i have a soft spot for the likes of Coughlin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-23-2008, 06:25 PM