moklerman is offline Registered User

Cardinals: Green compares McCown to Favre

Cardinals: Green compares McCown to Favre

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
    Monday, July 19, 2004

News
    Cardinals' head coach Dennis Green named third-year quarterback Josh McCown as his starter this spring. Green has taken his faith in McCown one step further by comparing his young signal caller to a future Hall of Fame quarterback. "McCown can be like Brett Favre," Green told the San Diego Union-Tribune on July 17. "He reminds me a lot of Favre. He is a tremendous athlete, 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds, with 4.6 speed and a vertical leap of 39 inches." Green also explained why he didn't use the No. 3 pick in the draft to select a quarterback. "I did not want to waste the period between January and the April draft and then find out that none of those college quarterbacks are ready to play, and none of them are." Green also predicted that McCown will "set the NFL on fire."

This is sort of a follow-up to a discussion about Martz comparing Bulger to qb legends. I think this article falls into the same category as the Martz one. Both Green and Martz should have just kept their mouth shut. They both seem to be trying to convince people of their choice at qb. Both make ridiculous comparisons as some type of justification.

I just thought to be fair I should rip Green for the same thing I ripped Martz for. I think both are ridiculous statements.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Cardinals: Green compares McCown to Favre

I do too hate it when everyone tries to tout their QB to be the next Brett Farve. Why not be the best Marc Bulger or Josh McCown?

In a certain way, coaches do this and unknowingly make it difficult for the QB to perform up to that level.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Vegas has Arizona with the worst odds to win the SB @125 to 1. Now, I don't think they are going to win it all, but I can think of about 6 or 7 teams that are worse than last years Cardinals. They played well at home and have plenty of talent. They may be a few years away, but I was still surprised to see them at the bottom. I'm not sure any of the odds makers actually watched any of the games last year, or are taking into account that they have a new coach who's been to the playoffs.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They'll win a few more, maybe even 8-8. I'd go so far as 9-7, maybe. They will score a few points, but they are not going to stop other teams. They may score 30, but they're going to give up 35.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Both make ridiculous comparisons as some type of justification.
    What about the scouting report that made similar comparisons? I'm not sure what kind of justification a scout would be seeking by saying those same things about Bulger.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

I hate comparisons. There will never be another Favre, Payton, Unitas, etc. Let these guys do their thing.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This is just more of the same hype Dennis Green has been heaping on his new team since he was hired. It's probably good for season ticket sales but certainly won't make things any easier on McCown. I agree with Mok and Tx that statements like these are not a good idea.