Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Cardinals name Ken Whisenhunt as new head coach

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced the hiring of KEN WHISENHUNT as the team’s head coach. He has signed a four-year contract with a team option for a fifth. Whisenhunt will be introduced in a press conference on Tuesday afternoon at the team’s training facility (time TBA).

The 44-year-old Whisenhunt has spent the last three seasons as the offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers and helped the team win Super Bowl XL a year ago. In all, he has spent 10 years as NFL assistant coach and also played nine seasons in the league as a tight end.

“As the interview process went on, Ken continued to impress us and distinguish himself,” said Cardinals Vice President of Football Operation Rod Graves. “It’s clear to us that he has the all the attributes we were seeking in terms of coaching ability, enthusiasm, organizational and leadership skills and the overall ability to lead this team to success immediately and for years to come.”

Whisenhunt (pronounced “WIZZ-en-hunt”) served as an assistant on Bill Cowher’s staff with the Pittsburgh Steelers for the last six years, the first three as tight ends coach and the last three as offensive coordinator.

In his first year as coordinator, the Steelers rushing attack improved from 31st to 2nd and the overall offense ranked 16th behind rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger. His second year ended with an NFL title after the Steelers offense averaged 26.8 points per game in the playoffs. This past season, Pittsburgh’s offense ranked 7th overall (9th passing and 10th rushing).

Whisenhunt took over as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator in 2004, the same year the team drafted Roethlisberger. The rookie QB set an NFL record with wins in his first 13 career starts en route to Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. The next season he became the youngest QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl and finished third in the league in passer rating (98.6).

He previously coached at the pro level with the New York Jets (tight ends, 2000), Cleveland Browns (special teams, 1999) and Baltimore Ravens (tight ends, 1997-98). He began his coaching career in the collegiate ranks with Vanderbilt for two seasons (1995-96)

A native of Atlanta, GA, and a graduate of Georgia Tech, Whisenhunt played nine NFL seasons with the Falcons (1985-88), Redskins (1989-90), and Jets (1991-93). He finished his college playing career ranked second on Georgia Tech’s receiving yardage list (1,264 yards) and fourth in career receptions (82).

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Cardinals name Ken Whisenhunt as new head coach

I wonder why he wasn't considered for the Steelers top slot?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    I wonder why he wasn't considered for the Steelers top slot?
    He was. Every report basically said it's been between he and assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm for that job.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

All I can say is Ken Whisenhunt is a brave man.

Drew is offline Registered User

im glad they hired him i dont see him improving the cards !
    i know its too soo to say and i thought dennis green would turn them around but i cant say im too scared about what they can do in the near future where as if they had hired martz to go with the big tools they got on 0 (minus the O-line)i would have been!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

It was a very good hire IMO. Great Offensive Coordinator.
    RamsFan16

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    All I can say is Ken Whisenhunt is a brave man.
    Yes, But is he who we think he is?

Only time will tell...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    im glad they hired him i dont see him improving the cards !
    i know its too soo to say and i thought dennis green would turn them around but i cant say im too scared about what they can do in the near future where as if they had hired martz to go with the big tools they got on 0 (minus the O-line)i would have been!
    If they would have hired Martz, the organization would have imploded within a few years, the defense would have gone to hell, draft choices would not have panned out, game decisions would have been horrible and...

..no, wait, that was the Rams with Martz in control. My bad.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    It was a very good hire IMO. Great Offensive Coordinator.
    I wouldn't go that far 16; it's not like the Steelers O was dominating. They played a ball control type offense focusing on the run.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I don't like this, I think it was a good hire. Hopefully whatever curse it is that's holding Arizona back will continue, we need to continue to be able to count on those 2 wins every year

I thought the Cardinals had a very strong draft (Leinart will be a good QB, he was a steal, and they had several other great picks too) and now they even hired what seems to be a capable head coach. Every year every lazy sportswriter picks the Cardinals as this year's surprise team, so far I've laughed at that at the beginning of every season, but now I'm even starting to think that may be the case next year (say it ain't so!).

moklerman is offline Registered User

It's an interesting hire and a good choice in my opinion. Not that I'm a big Whisenhunt fan per se, but going with a guy that has an enthusiasm for the game, something to prove and a relentless work ethic. Rivera, Cameron, etc. were all choices I thought were what the Cardinals should aim for. I'm so sick of retreads like Schottenheimer, Shell and Green continually getting work over guys that deserve a shot. It doesn't always pan out (Crennel) but why bother with a guy like Marty? One year it's 11 wins and 1 and done, the next it's no playoffs and a soft schedule then 12 wins and 1 and done and the cylcle continues.

Whisenhunt seems to be an innovative, aggressive and somewhat fearless playcaller so we'll se if that translates into wins. He's got plenty of talent on offense to work with. The Steelers struggled this year but I don't agree that they were a ball control type of offense with Whisenhunt the past couple of years. They've been passing too much if anything.