Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    theodus69 Guest

Re: Cardinals Offense Is Going To Be SCARY!!!

The Cards D is a bit suspect, But on the other hand ,I do believe the Cards had the highest rated offense in the league. warner was throwing for mega yards and they are just getting warmed up! Don't think that line was as bad as it seemed!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameHolt
    i know the cards have all the right "cards" in their hand, no pun intended, but their problems are still present on defense, special teams, and their O-line. I think the future is in boldin and fitz, not around edge (who will be good obviously but not as productive as with colts) and as much as i love warner, hes only got a few good years left
    I wouldn't sell the Cards defense short. They have some big time playmakers and despite some key injuries, still managed to have the NFL's 8th ranked total defense in 2005. They could use some help on special teams, but do have pro bowler Neil Rackers. Add their new and improved potential on offense and I can see them doing some damage in 2006.

moklerman Guest

I thought I heard rumblings about the Cardinals possibly moving Leonard Davis from tackle to guard. Do you know if there's been any more news on that, or if it was legit to even begin with?
    The quick answer is no. With all the turmoil last year there's been ton's of speculation on what's going to happen in 2006. Some have suggested moving Ross over but I think they're going to give Davis more time where he is, especially with a new o-line coach coming in. I don't think anything's really set at this point and until the new coach can come in and evaluate who should go where, nothing will be announced. They've been adding depth and I'm sure will attain more before the season starts. I don't think too many starting jobs are safe at this point.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

They do have some solid players on D. Chike Okeafor, Antrell Rolle, Bertrand Berry, James Darling, Karlos Dansby, and Adrian Wilson

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    The Cards D is a bit suspect, But on the other hand ,I do believe the Cards had the highest rated offense in the league. warner was throwing for mega yards and they are just getting warmed up! Don't think that line was as bad as it seemed!
    They might have had the most yardage, but they only had 26 TDs total, less than half as many as Seattle or Indy. Rackers got to the Pro Bowl largely because they called on him more often than any other team when they were in the Redzone. They had 190 less rushing yards than the second to last team in the NFL. I think Justice makes a lot of sense for them, but I could still see them going for Vernon Davis. At the end of the day, though, they're still the Cardinals and I'm sure they'll find a way to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    At the end of the day, though, they're still the Cardinals and I'm sure they'll find a way to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory one way or another.
    Well, this would be fine with me, but barring some major injuries, I just don't see it. The Cardinals, on paper at least look pretty solid IMO, and they're still not done making improvements.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Well, this would be fine with me, but barring some major injuries, I just don't see it. The Cardinals, on paper at least look pretty solid IMO, and they're still not done making improvements.
    That's what everyone was saying about the Cards last year and look what happened. They are better with Edge but if they don't fix that blocking he won't be half as effective as he was in Indy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Right. And as we are all well aware, Warner hasn't played more than 10 games in a season since 2001, and McCown may walk. If the line doesn't get better, you can bet he won't be playing every game in 2006.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think that Pete Prisco has a very good take on the Edge situation.

Whilst this would have been a very scary move 3 years ago, I think that we may be in danger of overplaying his importance here.

He's 28, has had major knee surgery, played in a fantastic offense with a tremendous supporting cast and hasn't exactly been ripping off outstanding stats for the last couple of years.

More importantly, the Colts were willing to let him go.

Does this mean he's a bad player? Of course not , but he's no reason to fear the big bad Cards. They really should have made their move last season and fell way short.

As many people have pointed out Warner hasn't seen a full season in a long time, and Boldin,Fitzgerald and Davis will only be as good as the man throwing them the ball. Even if Kurt is on the field, if he's up against a D with a pulse he's going to struggle, especially with that O line of his.

Lets take comfort in the fact that it looks like we may have that D this season, and Haslett is a guy who could beat Kurt when Kurt was great, rather than merely good.

If I'm the Whiners however, I may be crying into my beer right now.....................

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Cardinals were dead last in the NFL in rushing yards (1,138) and yards per carry (3.2) last year. While certainly part of the problem was the lack of a top quality RB, they also are clearly bad at run blocking.

James is a 28 year old back who has a lot of milage on his legs (one of which was surgically repaired a few years back) and who, even in the Colts offense last year, only averaged 4.2 ypc. (which is also his career average).

Do you really think he's going to tear up the league behind that line?

I don't.

The Cardinals OL play definitely needs to improve. Staying healthy will make a huge difference IMO. They had absolutely zero consistency in their starting line-up for virtually all of 2005.

moklerman Guest

and hasn't exactly been ripping off outstanding stats for the last couple of years.
    2003 IND 13 310 1259 4.1 43 11 83 5 3
    2004 IND 16 334 1548 4.6 40 9 73 6 2
    2005 IND 15 360 1506 4.2 33 13 94 2 1

I think 1,400 yards and 12 td's would probably be acceptable to most teams if he meets his three year average in 2006. Also, his td totals are always lower than they could be because Peyton tends to call his own number in the red zone.
    More importantly, the Colts were willing to let him go.
    Like Marshall Faulk in 1999?
    Of course not , but he's no reason to fear the big bad Cards.
    As far as the Rams in particular, the Cards weren't anything to scoff at last year. They were one false start away from possibly being swept and that was with no running game whatsoever.
    and Haslett is a guy who could beat Kurt when Kurt was great, rather than merely good.
    I don't know if this is comforting for Rams fans or not:

Warner(Rams) vs. Haslett(Saints) 4 wins 2 losses.
    124com 194att 64% 1,780yds 13td(+1 rutd) 9int 96.6rating.
    they also are clearly bad at run blocking.
    I don't know how clear it is at all. Like I mentioned earlier, they were decimated by injuries and didn't get to field their starting unit for most of the season. In reality, we all don't really know how they can play since they haven't been on the field to do it. Fifth string centers and guys playing out of position isn't any kind of an indicator of what they'll do in 2006.
    even in the Colts offense last year, only averaged 4.2 ypc.
    I don't beleive the Colts are known for having a dominating run-blocking o-line. The rest of their rb's(Carthon, Mungro & Rhodes) averaged a combined 2.5 ypc behind the same line(60att 151yds).
    Do you really think he's going to tear up the league behind that line?
    I think it's possible. If he put up 1,500 yds and 13 td's behind the 4th ranked passing team I think he can probably get in the same ballpark behind the #1 passing team(if they stay healthy).

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    2003 IND 13 310 1259 4.1 43 11 83 5 3
    2004 IND 16 334 1548 4.6 40 9 73 6 2
    2005 IND 15 360 1506 4.2 33 13 94 2 1

I think 1,400 yards and 12 td's would probably be acceptable to most teams if he meets his three year average in 2006. Also, his td totals are always lower than they could be because Peyton tends to call his own number in the red zone.
    Like Marshall Faulk in 1999?
    As far as the Rams in particular, the Cards weren't anything to scoff at last year. They were one false start away from possibly being swept and that was with no running game whatsoever.
    I don't know if this is comforting for Rams fans or not:

Warner(Rams) vs. Haslett(Saints) 4 wins 2 losses.
    124com 194att 64% 1,780yds 13td(+1 rutd) 9int 96.6rating.
    I don't know how clear it is at all. Like I mentioned earlier, they were decimated by injuries and didn't get to field their starting unit for most of the season. In reality, we all don't really know how they can play since they haven't been on the field to do it. Fifth string centers and guys playing out of position isn't any kind of an indicator of what they'll do in 2006.
    I don't beleive the Colts are known for having a dominating run-blocking o-line. The rest of their rb's(Carthon, Mungro & Rhodes) averaged a combined 2.5 ypc behind the same line(60att 151yds).
    I think it's possible. If he put up 1,500 yds and 13 td's behind the 4th ranked passing team I think he can probably get in the same ballpark behind the #1 passing team(if they stay healthy).
    As you say, nothing is clear here (I really should start being bothered about posting statistics) but I'd take my chances against that line and against Kurt.

If he's only posting just over 4 yards a carry, which I believe is the key indicator, and has Manning, Harrison and the gang to take the attention away from him, that compares poorly to Marshall, who was posting over 5 yards a carry at times in the GSOT's heyday.

Gross yards are a revealing stat to be sure, but say a lot more about the opportunities he was given by the team.

I imagine that Haslett's performance against Kurt during that period was more than respectable compared to the rest of the league at that time, and what's more, he knew how to do it in the biggest game of them all.

(Who's to say that Dennis won't play musical chairs with his QB's again anyway?)

Kurt isn't the same player, if he was he'd be here and he still struggles when people get in his face. The thing with their line and injuries is interesting though, as theres no guarantee they'd have been any better with their starters in. Protecting Kurt can be a tough job.

As for the #4 ranked vs #1 ranked comparison it's a bit difficult to make as, if you can't run you're obliged to pass.

Make no doubt, James is not finished but I just don't think we should be sitting here worrying ourselves sick about him or Kurt. There's plenty of room to question how effective he'll be next year.

Rip32 Guest

And I respectfully agree with you,No way does Edge signing with them make them a playoff team the Cardinals always have and always will be underachievers and will always find a way to lose.

I think James is overrated anyway,he was successful because he played with Manning and Defenses alway had to respect the pass before the run,they will not run the stretch runs that they did in indy in Arizona one because they have a terrible offensive line and two because its not Manning with an outstretched arm it is "Hasbeen" Kurt Warner.

Thanks for the Memories Kurt,its time to bow out gracefully.

psycho9985 Guest

I think will feed on Edge with a Spoon.I think Edge will probably get 1,000 yards just with his talent but hes not going to be the answer unless the Cards do something with that O-line.I dont care how many Guns you have on Offence,you just have to have that O-line or they will be duds.Sure they'll make some good plays,rack up some yardage,but without an O-line their gonna see red zone follies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast