ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Cards Have A Real Quarterback Controversy

POSTED 9:12 a.m. EDT, September 27, 2007

Though Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt is trying his best to avoid the appearance that he'll periodically bench starting quarterback Matt Leinart when the time comes to break out the no-huddle, multi-receiver attack, the truth is that a real quarterback controversy is brewing in Arizona -- and that Whisenhunt is managing it for now by going to Kurt Warner only when necessary.

So while Leinart is still the starter, he'll be the finisher only if the team has the lead late in the game. And if Warner can continue to come off of the bench and erase deficits with performances that remind us of his efforts from years gone by, Whisenhunt eventually won't wait until the Cardinals are down by 10 or more points to make the switch.

And that would be a welcome change for many on the team. As a league source told us on Wednesday, a lot of the players privately want to see Warner in the game. "There's a strong sentiment that Warner should be the guy," the source said. "He's not as good as Warner right now. Warner is more effective at running the offense."

To the extent that the handwriting is on the wall, Leinart hasn't noticed it. "I'm not worried about what anyone else is saying," Leinart said, according to the Arizona Republic. "I know that this is my team. I know I'm the quarterback of this team. I'm competitive. I'm not just going to throw in the towel and give in to what everyone is saying. I'm going to go out there, work harder."

We're not sure that the primary goal of this effort is to get Leinart to take his job more seriously, but it doesn't hurt. Still, the bigger issue, for now, is that Warner is the better guy, for now, to help the Cardinals win.

Maybe it's because of Warner's experience. Or maybe it's because Warner is a better fit for Whisenhunt's offense. If it's the latter, and if Leinart doesn't adapt to the offense or vice-versa, the only possibly long-term solution will be for Leinart or Whisenhunt to find a new job.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

RnD

GO RAMS!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Cards Have A Real Quarterback Controversy

This is good stuff. Leinart is acting confident, but he must be going out of his mind. I watched the game last week and he looked like he was ready to literally cry on the sideline. It'll be fun to see how Matty handles the pressure. I would not be surprised to see him crumple like a piece of tin foil.

moklerman Guest

I've never watched a lot of college football but over the last few years, USC has given me something to watch on Saturdays and I've grown to be somewhat of a fan of them. In that respect, I was pulling for Leinart to eventually succeed as a qb in the NFL but I've always had this nagging feeling that he didn't really have "it" as a qb. And I'm talking about when he was at USC. Sure, his team had great success and he had lot's numbers to show how "good" he was but when I watched him play...you know how you just get a vibe of some players(or don't, as the case may be)? When USC put games in Carson Palmer's hands there was a feeling of a qb who could get the job done. Leinart didn't usually give off that feeling to me. The Notre Dame game was an exception to this but in general, so much of what he accomplished in college was due to a GREAT o-line and severely outmatched opponents.

At this point, I'm seeing a silver spoon type of college player that may not have what it takes to succeed at the next level. I'm not declaring anything definite at this point and there is some real validity to the idea that Whisenhunt screwing with his mechanics has hurt more than help but I don't think anyone's really seen how Leinart handles adversity on the field yet. Physical limitations aside, I'm very curious how he performs while looking over his shoulder. Untouchable, BMOC at USC is one thing. Re-vitalized, 2-time MVP breathing down your neck and outperforming you in front of a HC that didn't draft you and doesn't owe you anything is entirely different.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When Leinart was in college, I had my doubts that he'd make a good pro. If he can't do it with those WRs, I doubt he'll ever make it.

moklerman Guest

Bulger and the Rams have played eerily similar to the Leinart and the Cards this year. Everything is very short, close to the line of scrimmage, scared to death to have a turnover type of offense. Both have outstanding WR's but seemingly refuse to throw the ball downfield to stretch the defense. I really don't get and I get bored/frustrated watching either of them. I'm constatnly flipping over to the Dallas or Detroit or Indianopolis game just so I can see some offense that isn't painful to watch. I'm really disappointed with the Rams' efforts so far because I thought that the acquisition of Bennett and McMichael would allow Holt and Bruce to finally have some room to run. The Rams have been '85 playoffs vs. Chicago Dieter Brock bad and it's forcing me to change the channel.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    Bulger and the Rams have played eerily similar to the Leinart and the Cards this year. Everything is very short, close to the line of scrimmage, scared to death to have a turnover type of offense. Both have outstanding WR's but seemingly refuse to throw the ball downfield to stretch the defense. I really don't get and I get bored/frustrated watching either of them. I'm constatnly flipping over to the Dallas or Detroit or Indianopolis game just so I can see some offense that isn't painful to watch. I'm really disappointed with the Rams' efforts so far because I thought that the acquisition of Bennett and McMichael would allow Holt and Bruce to finally have some room to run. The Rams have been '85 playoffs vs. Chicago Dieter Brock bad and it's forcing me to change the channel.
    I'm waiting for McMichael and/or Bennett to make some sort of impact on this offense.
    I honestly felt it would take some time but I feel that time should have passed by now. I'm truly starting to wonder why we brought these guys on board.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I'm waiting for McMichael and/or Bennett to make some sort of impact on this offense.
    I honestly felt it would take some time but I feel that time should have passed by now. I'm truly starting to wonder why we brought these guys on board.
    McMichael has a hamstring problem, and he's been asked to block more due to our O Line problems. Bennett hasn't been healthy yet, and it shows. So I'm not surprised that they haven't made the impact people thought they would.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Code:
    Cards Have A Real Quarterback Controversy
    ...not any more they don't
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

True enough, true enough!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Did someone say they wouldn't be surprised to see him crumple like a piece of tin foil?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Did someone say they wouldn't be surprised to see him crumple like a piece of tin foil?

Lookingback to see if indeed someone DID say that... it WAS said in post 2 of this thread.

Lessee who wrote post #2..... why it was.... r8rh8trmike! I guess you wil have to rep him for that one!

Oh, what's that? You can't rep yourself? Dang, now you hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back you say?

Good call Mike! :l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!