Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    psycho9985 is offline Registered User

The Cards just might be scary in 2005

I think these guys might be more of a hand full then we think.Please tell I'm wrong and why.

My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Cards just might be scary in 2005

1. They still don't have an every down RB.

2. They have done nothing to improve a weak O line.

3. They have very mediocre LBs and CBs.

They'll be a decent team, but I wouldn't call them "scary."

I hope your right,but I dont think there done yet in fa or the Draft,they could clean up some of those misgivings and thats whats scary.Plus using the Rams offensive system with a QB that knows it does have me a little on edge.:upset:

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I think the Cardinals will be greatly improved and may compete for a wild card spot.

60 minutes into the draft and they'll have their RB - and a good one too!

They spent some good money in Free Agency.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Cardinals traded Dwane Starks and let Renaldo Hill walk as a free agent. The only true cornerback they have on their roster is David Macklin. I expect the Cardinals to take a corner in the first two rounds, but even if they do, their secondary looks a bit questionable, which should be advantageous for the Rams, who will take advantage of their lack of depth or inexperienced depth with mismatches on Curtis and McDonald.

The addition of Warner adds a quality starting presence to their quarterback position, but if the Cardinals are going to be running a Ram-like offense, it will be interesting to see if Warner - who was statistically mediocre when asked to throw more than ten yards down the field last year - is going to be able to step up to the plate in an offense where more is required from him, as opposed to the focus being more on the running game of Tiki Barber.

And if Warner is going to be able to do anything, he's going to need a good offensive line to give him time to hit Fitzgerald and Boldin, as well as a running game to work with. The Cardinals do not have a franchise running back, and may not grab one in round one if they perceive their need at corner to be greater. Furthermore, the only addition to their offensive line was former Steeler Oliver Ross, who will start at right tackle. The interior of their offensive line has not been improved, and that's an area I perceive as a weak spot, specifically because interior pressure is going to collapse the pocket and cause Warner to scramble, which isn't a strength of his.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They will be improved and in the NFC (which looks like the 1980's AFC) they could compete for a wild card. But anything greater than 9-7 or so would be a stretch. They've improved at QB, WR & DL. But RB and CB are still huge questions. You can play in the NFC West w/o a premier RB. However, you can't play in the NFC West w/o a solid pair of corners. Their 1st two rounds of the draft may help shore up these problems, but they won't make more than a wild card run on the backs of rookies.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The team that could become scary is Minnesota. Thankfully, they still have a buffoon for a Head Coach.

moklerman is offline Registered User

The Cards have been making a lot of moves this offseason and it will be interesting to see if it all comes together under Green. I've never been a big fan of Denny's because, like Schottenheimer, he's just good enough to get you into the playoffs but never over the top. His 15-1 team with the Vikings choking against Atlanta will forever taint his legacy if you ask me.

But, everything else being equal, the veteran strengths that Warner brings to the table instantly improves their offense quite a bit. Even if he only get's the offense to "average" they will win a couple more games than last year. I've also read that the Shelton for Henry deal with Buffalo is still likely to happen. If that's the case, they will have a lot of skill on offense compared to last year.

Their offensive line might be a bit of a question mark but I don't think it was any worse than the Rams' last year. It was good enough to get Emmitt Smith 900+ yards and 9 td's. With a rb that resembles good, I think the line will be much better by default. Add to that, defenses won't be able to stack up against the run, which I think was common with the combo of McCown, King and Navarre at qb.

On defense, they were ranked 12th in the league in their first season under a new DC so I'm guessing that they know what they're doing. I don't know what their plans are at CB, but I've read that they are high on the young LB that will be taking over this year so they don't really perceive a loss there.

All in all, they shouldn't be considered any less legitimate than any of the other teams in the NFC West at this point. While they do have a long history of being a joke in the NFL I don't know that you can base what they'll do in 2005 on their past players and coaches. They seem to be pulling a 1998/1999 Rams in terms of deciding not to be a joke anymore and spending some money and hiring some quality people. We'll see.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

I think Arizona will be much improved, especially if they can have consistency at QB. I wouldn't call them scary, but they have made some moves. I'd look for them to be improved enough to challenge for a wild card spot.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

theodus69 is offline Registered User

That O-line is still an upgrade from NY for Warner and with a better receiving group also. We shall see just how well they have become. They may go 2-14, they may shoot up the west 12-4. that whole situ there is getting much better all the time. Warner may not be liked by some, but since 02 he has played behind a broken down or crappy line. He is surrounded by many improvements and this could be a problem! :tough:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams and Seahawks haven't shown the kind of dominant play to make me feel like either of them have a lock on the West, and with Arizona getting better combined with the parody in today's league, I think the NFC West is wide open...

...except for the Whiners.

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

the seachickens wont be nearly as good as they were the last few years...this will probably be holmgrens last year there...they just dont have the heart to be champions...imho

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I agree it's wide open. The Rams have as many question marks as the Cards. The only edge I give to the Rams over either team is experience running their own system, and some veteran leadership.

Just remember they beat the crap out of us last year in game 2.We needed that win to take the div.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -04-08-2005 at 08:13 PM.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    Just remember they beat the crap out of us last year in game 2.We needed that win to take the div.
    Exactly! We will need to repect the Cards more than the c-chicks IMHO. They are hungry with a qb with a well earned chip on his shoulder that wants to prove to all of his critics, especially one FO in particular, that he is still the man.

This kind of motivation for two games in our schedule concerns me and if they obtain Travis Henry, we may be looking up to them from a division standpoint, which I would really hate. I doubt their schedule is very tough which makes it a bit more realistic that they could give us a run for the money.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast