Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Cards trade for Jets Safety Kerry Rhodes.

Cardinals trade for Jets safety Kerry Rhodes
    by Kent Somers - The Arizona Republic.

The Cardinals filled their void at free safety Saturday, agreeing in principle on a trade for Jets safety Kerry Rhodes.
    Rhodes will replace Antrel Rolle, who signed a free-agent contract with the Giants on Friday. The Cardinals traded a fourth-round pick this year and a seventh-round choice in 2011 for Rhodes.

Rhodes, 6-feet-3, 214 pounds, spent five years with Jets, who drafted him in the fourth round out of Louisville in 2005.

Rhodes signed a 5-year, $33 million extension two years ago and is under contract through 2013. The Cardinals will pay him a $2 million roster bonus next week, but his salaries of $2.78 million (2010), $2.425 million, $3.5 million and $4.5 million are reasonable, compared to Rolle's five-year, $37 million contract.

"We had a good contingency plan in place if we lost Antrel and we acted quickly," said coach Ken Whisenhunt. "We all know that the safety position was a hole we needed to fill. Kerry has the experience and ability to step in right away. He fits a lot of things that we do."

Rhodes played for new Cardinals secondary coach Donnie Henderson, formerly the Jets defensive coordinator.

Rhodes is coming off a difficult season in which he was benched for two games in late November. He returned to the starting lineup late in the year and played well in the playoffs.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Cards trade for Jets Safety Kerry Rhodes.

good deal for the Cards IMO...i dont think it will be enough to swing them back into the NFC West favorites spot after all the talent theyve lost since the off-season begun..but certainly makes the Safety spots a team strength again..Rhodes & Wilson sounds like quite a combo to me.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Ronnie Brown used to truck this guy day and night in the AFC East. Looks like Jaxx will have to assume that role now haha.

benton45 Guest

I was excited to see this move by the Cards.

Rhodes is more talented than Rolle, so the smoke screen of an upgrade is all over the city of Phoenix (where I live). The truth is that Rhodes can't play the run, is not great in coverage and has a bad attitude in the locker room.

They got rid of an overrated guy with less talent for an overrated guy with attitude problems.

As a Niner fan I will be very happy to see Rhodes covering Vernon Davis, trying to stay square when Crabtree makes a juke move in the middle of the field and attempting to bring Gore down.

How is it going over here? Niner boards are lame right now...gotta love the offseason.