Thread: Carr Released

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Carr Released

Carr and Williams released
    March 23, 2007
    By Carmine Pirone
    HoustonTexans.com

In a move that only amplifies the Texans' desire to move forward instead of looking back, the team announced Friday the release of quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Williams.

The duo’s days in Houston were numbered. Carr, when the Texans traded for quarterback Matt Schaub Thursday and Williams when he had yet another setback in an attempted comeback from knee surgery a few weeks back.

An era has ended and with it the careers of Houston ’s all-time leading passer and rusher. Carr passed for more than 13,000 yards in his five-year career while Williams has amassed over 3,000 on the ground.

Carr passed for 59 touchdowns, setting a franchise mark that likely won’t be challenged for years. Williams’ 28 total touchdowns will likely last a while as well.

As rare as it is for a team to release a tandem of players so decorated in franchise history, Friday’s move is not really surprising.

Thanks to debilitating knee injury, Williams did not play a down during the 2006 campaign and with yet another setback on the road to recovery this offseason, his career in the NFL could be over.

Carr is nothing if not durable, but a change in direction by the front office had Carr looking for a new home this offseason. Since a trading partner could not be found, Carr will spend the next weeks and months looking for another home.

The former number one overall pick has plenty of football left in him. At 27, his best day’s in the NFL could be ahead. Whether or not a team will give him a chance to start for them in 2007 is anyone’s best guess, but considering Carr’s raw athleticism he will certainly find a home somewhere before this season begins, but for the first time in his career he’ll be taking snaps in a uniform other then the Texans
    If you can't trade 'em, cut 'em.

where to next?

link: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3377

"There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Carr Released

Inevitable. No one was going to trade for him after they acquired Matt Schaub. The writing was on the wall.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Surprising no one wanted him in a trade.

Surprised even more that they cut him instead of kept him as a backup.

Welcome to Oaktown David!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Texans fans are about ready to hang Casserly the old GM for not taking Vince Young last year.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-23-2007 at 05:51 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind the Rams picking up Dominick Williams aka Dominick Davis to be a Backup to Jackson and split carries.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Surprising no one wanted him in a trade.

Surprised even more that they cut him instead of kept him as a backup.
    No one wanted to part with a draft pick for a player they knew Houston was going to be forced to cut, and I doubt the massive salary he was scheduled to make (which would count against the cap of anyone acquiring him) was much motivation either. The Texans really weren't in a position to keep Carr; he'd be a distraction and again cost too much. Once the Schaub deal went through, he had to be moved and the chances were slim on a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Texans fans are about ready to hang Casserly the old GM for not taking Vince Young last year.
    Agreed 100%. To think they could have simply opted not to pay Carr the $8 million roster bonus last year and then could have taken Young first overall to be the local hero QB. Instead David Carr was their man... for one year. Ouch.

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I wouldn't mind the Rams picking up Dominick Williams aka Dominick Davis to be a Backup to Jackson and split carries.
    He would be a nice compliment, smaller and more shifity, however it sounds as though his carrer might be over due to his knee problems.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Man I wonder how much of a cap hit Houston is going to absorb? This move, though seemingly necessary, is going to hurt this club for awhile it appears.
    BTW It's not Carr's fault that "Dumb" Dom Capers refused to build the OL and left his multi-million $$ QB to twist in the wind. I actually blame Capers more than Casserly on this issue. All Capers cared about was defense and it showed in how he treated Carr and the entire offense.

WHAT SAY YE?

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Lets find David Carr a new home!

-Oakland
    -Cleveland
    -Minnesota
    -Miami? (looks like they're going to sign Trent Green)
    -Baltimore? (McNair doesn't have much time left)
    -Tampa Bay?? (Garcia looks to be their man)
    -Green Bay??? (I can't see Aaron Rogers as the future of that team)

Thoughts?

Overalls is offline Registered User

No we are not. Casserly did a lot of things wrong in the draft and I am not saying we didn't make a mistake, but last season is over. Our draft came down to Mario and Reggie. Vince wasn't in the picture except to UT fans and a few others. Until Vince proves he isn't just a Vick that can't run as well, the Texans aren't missing him.
    Proud original member of the Texans Bull Pen

http://www.rideinthelight.com

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Lets find David Carr a new home!

Thoughts?
    -Oakland: A possibility but until they fix that line no one's going to play well.
    -Cleveland: Also a possibility if Cleveland would prefer to not draft a QB @ 3rd overall
    -Minnesota: Based on Brad Childress' recent comments, doesn't look like a possibility.
    -Miami: More interested in trading for Green, and I believe Cameron is high on Lemon there as well.
    -Baltimore: I don't see it, not with Boller still there.
    -Tampa Bay: Not after signing Garcia
    -Green Bay: A possibility only if they move Aaron Rodgers.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

i was actually thinking the lions might take him and groom him for a year under the martz maddness.. Kitna is close to done

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
    No we are not. Casserly did a lot of things wrong in the draft and I am not saying we didn't make a mistake, but last season is over. Our draft came down to Mario and Reggie. Vince wasn't in the picture except to UT fans and a few others. Until Vince proves he isn't just a Vick that can't run as well, the Texans aren't missing him.

My man, you are in an extremely small minority. Not saying Mario wasn't a good pick, I think he'll turn out to be a damn fine DE. However, everyone is grouping VY with Vick and to me that's an insult to VY. VY is the real deal, he proved it last year.

Overalls is offline Registered User

My man, you are in an extremely small minority. Not saying Mario wasn't a good pick, I think he'll turn out to be a damn fine DE. However, everyone is grouping VY with Vick and to me that's an insult to VY. VY is the real deal, he proved it last year.
    That would have more validity if the quote didn't come from someone in Austin, the home of the burnt ornge koolaide and VY leg humpers. Vinny Vick had worse stats than David Carr and barely runs better.
    Proud original member of the Texans Bull Pen

http://www.rideinthelight.com