throwback week

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

In case you doubted the media's pro-Patriot spin...

Check out the coverage of their signing of Donte Stallworth. Most are treating this as a good signing, and yet, for all of Stallworth's talent, he's never played a full season and never had 1,000 yards receiving. Not to mention the fact that he will be playing for his third team in three years.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: In case you doubted the media's pro-Patriot spin...

He has never lived up to the potential the Saints expected.

Off the field issues???

Well, he has apparently violated the substance abuse policy at least once, but his biggest problem is that he can't stay on the field, period.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Personally I agree it was a good signing. I don't say that because Stallworth is a top talent at receiver, but rather because the Patriots' personnel at receiver leaves a lot to be desired.

Look at their top four wide receivers from last season Reche Caldwell (61 catches) is a marginal starter who had a career best season last year and that's not saying much. Troy Brown (43 catches) is contemplating retirement and to my knowledge is not under contract. Doug Gabriel (25 catches) was released and is now back on the Raiders. Chad Jackson (13 catches) suffered an ACL injury in the AFC championship and might not be ready for camp, maybe not even the start of the 2007 season.

The bottom line is the Patriots needed receiver help. They traded for Welker (this is the move I think deserves criticism because of the compensation given up), but again who do they start opposite of Caldwell? They needed a starter-quality receiver and signed Stallworth to a very friendly deal that basically allows them to reevaluate Donte's spot on their team every year. Even Stallworth's agent basically called it a one-year deal.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Now it seems that they have also signed Kelley Washington.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Now it seems that they have also signed Kelley Washington.

When did this happen???

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    When did this happen???
    Today, not all that long ago. Washington was signed to a five-year deal I believe. I would imagine Caldwell and Stallworth will be their starters, with Welker as the slot guy and Washington competing with Jabar Gaffney for the #4 spot. When Chad Jackson is back to 100%, then he'll factor in there as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree with Nick that the Welker signing is more dubious, but that move has also been lauded by some. They overpaid for Welker, he's going to cost them a second rounder, and he's a low YPC possession receiver who has had less than 700 yards in his best year. Stallworth, on the other hand, was repeatedly fined in New Orleans, apparently violated the NFL's drug policy, and can't stay healthy. His main asset is a 4.28 40. I don't think Welker, Washington, or Stallworth is a number one receiving talent right now. They'd have done better to sign Drew Bennett or Kevin Curtis rather than a whole posse of ne'er-do-wells.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

They may have.. over paid for Welker? I wish we over paid for him. He's a punt returner, kick returner and wide receiver with a ton of heart! He's not afraid to go over the middle and take the big hits. With Troy Brown aging I'm sure the Pats went after him because of his multiple abilities. He is a solid team player. I don't think the Pats are expecting him to be a number 1 or 2 receiver. More of a slot guy, more importantly a solid special teams player.

Just my take.:r

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    They may have.. over paid for Welker? I wish we over paid for him. He's a punt returner, kick returner and wide receiver with a ton of heart! He's not afraid to go over the middle and take the big hits. With Troy Brown aging I'm sure the Pats went after him because of his multiple abilities. He is a solid team player. I don't think the Pats are expecting him to be a number 1 or 2 receiver. More of a slot guy, more importantly a solid special teams player.
    I'm sure Welker has his merits, but I wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick in the draft for a slot guy who also pulls special teams duty. Sure, he returned kicks, but he was tied for 28th in return average. He was middle of the pack at returning punts. There is a lot to be said for character, but between the picks and the money they had to give up, I think the move should raise some eyebrows.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I agree with Nick that the Welker signing is more dubious, but that move has also been lauded by some. They overpaid for Welker, he's going to cost them a second rounder, and he's a low YPC possession receiver who has had less than 700 yards in his best year. Stallworth, on the other hand, was repeatedly fined in New Orleans, apparently violated the NFL's drug policy, and can't stay healthy. His main asset is a 4.28 40. I don't think Welker, Washington, or Stallworth is a number one receiving talent right now. They'd have done better to sign Drew Bennett or Kevin Curtis rather than a whole posse of ne'er-do-wells.
    Wow, I thought the Welker signing was a great move and I even wished we'd have taken a look at him at some point. But that was until I found out a 2nd rounder was given up for him, that's definitely not good value. Quite unlike the Patriots to make such a move, they must be desperate for receivers. A lot of the moves the Patriots have been making (Welker, Stallworth and of course the big signing of Adalius Thomas, optionally you can include the apparently credible rumors that they want Randy Moss) are quite unlike their usual style I think - it appears to me that they must feel their window of opportunity is closing or something. They seem to be struggling to get some talent on board that can contribute right away instead of taking their usual approach of letting the most expensive guys go and building through the draft. Maybe they'll get burned this time, who knows. We can always hope so.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Of course it is an AWESOME signing, it came from the Patriots. It is probably the FA signing of the year, because the Patriots are so awesome!

Seriously, the media loves the pats. Although, I didn't hear too much about them after blowing an NFL-playoff record 18 point lead to the Colts in the 4th quarter...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't see how anyone can sell the Patriots short after their success. With Mauroney (sp) in the backfield, and now giving RoboQB a passing game, that team is primed for another run at SOME Super Bowls.

Colts may have one last year, but the two teams to look out for in the AFC are the Ravens and the Pats.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Hate to say it but the Patriots are getting stronger and they look to be the team to beat in the AFC..:l

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

and now they are praising Wes Welker as one of the best pick ups in FA...