Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Smile Chad Pennington looks forward to new season, new receiver

July 6, 2004

By MARK NAGI

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- After New York Jets' quarterback Chad Pennington broke his left wrist in the 2003 pre-season, the team never contended for a championship. But he's looking forward to taking the field again soon.
    "It was very tough for me. I've never had to experience an injury where I've missed time as a starter," Pennington said. "I think as an athlete, and especially as a football player, you have an incident like this, at least one in your career. I guess it was just my time."

Pennington missed two months before starting again.

This week, he's working the Pennington Football Camp at his alma mater, Webb School in Knoxville.

But with the Jets training camp right around the corner, Pennington's already thinking about playing again in the Big Apple.

"We've got a lot of young players, a lot of energetic players," he said. I think everybody is focused on trying to bring a championship back to the Jet organization and the city of New York."

Maybe the biggest acquisition for the Jets was picking up Justin McCareins from the Tennessee Titans.

Pennington said McCareins is very important to the Jets offense this year. "This is the first time in a few years that we've been able to have a very physical, fast, big type receiver. He's a blue collar guy. He works hard and I feel like we stole him from the Titans. That's a player that I know they wish they could have back."

That means Pennington could have enough weapons to make last season a distant memory.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Chad Pennington looks forward to new season, new receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    That means Pennington could have enough weapons to make last season a distant memory.
    I'll believe that when I see it. Moss makes a decent primary target but he's undersized (5'10") and isn't going to win many vertical battles with some of the league's better corners. He's going to have to rely on that speed of his and hope to break away from defenders. McCareins is already slated as the secondary receiver, and will probably make a nice counter to Moss. But after that, it's somewhat concerning. Chrebet seems like he's on his last legs with injury problems, and while he has nice hands, he doesn't have a heck of a lot going for him. After that, it's inexperience. The cards will really have to fall in New York's place if the Jets are going to make something happen with this receiving core, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Chad Pennington looks forward to new season, new receiver

You're right, Nick. The Jets WRs are undersized and undertalented. McCareins provides a little size at 6-2 215, but that's about it. Cotchery, the rookie from NC State, should provide a little support at the 3 or 4 spot.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod