xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Chances of Lockout..?

What are the chances of the lockout coming? i read an article on espn just now and it just worries me that if it does.. it's gonna really mess up our rams team.. its just aging everyone... I wouldn't know what to do without the NFL

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Chances of Lockout..?

I hear the lockout did wonders for the popularity of MLB and NHL.....the NFL would be best advised to avoid one.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I no longer follow the NHL in any form or fashion after their lockout/holdout for a little over a year. Screw those greedy basstrolls!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jockelite is offline Registered User

The NFL is nothing but money money and more money. It pains me to see a team thats gaining so much chemistry and confidence all that could be shot come a lockout. It hurts to see this now possibly happening to the NFL. I am hopping all this blow over however I am very scared the Lockout will come. Guess that would mean more college football... =/

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Jockelite is exactly right, and the NFL is about nothing but money these days. WHich is why there's a huge reason for and against thinking that there will be a lockout.

First, the for argument is that the NFL negotiated TV deals that pay them most if not all of their money if there is a lockout. The union claims that the TV deal is worth $4.5 billion, so divide that by 32 teams, and you get about $140 million cold hard cash that each of the owners gets to pocket in the event of a lockout. The owners claim that they are losing money, or at best turning a "slight" profit, so $140 million is a VERY sweet incentive for them to have the lockout.

The strong argument against the lockout is that no one wants to kill the golden goose. Part of the reason that the NFL is the biggest sport in America is that they've had relative labor peace since the 80's. The other three main sports have all had labor strife and have seen the fans react the same way in each instance: they abandon the game. If the NFL has a lockout, it very much stands to reason that they will actually lose money in the effort to trying to get more money. Sure, the owners might get the players to agree to their demands, but a higher share of a smaller pie is still less pie.

In the end, I think that the CBA discussions/negotiations/fight/whatever will last through the spring, but sometime in June or July, we'll finally see some reasonableness overcome the owners and union, and we'll see an agreement. Free agency, the combine, and the draft will all be held, without any issues, but after then, everything will shut down. There will be no OTA's, and we'll see how much else we miss.
    I believe!

thickandthin is offline Registered User

life sucks.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

This season has been kinda bittersweet with the thought of no football next year looming...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Sure, the owners might get the players to agree to their demands, but a higher share of a smaller pie is still less pie.
    That depends on how much the pie shrinks and how much your piece grows. Would you rather have 50% of $1000 ($500) or 60% of $900 ($540)? I'm sure nobody really wants to see a lockout, but if the owners think it would shift the balance of power enough, they just might do it.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Not sure what i would do without football and the Rams .But seriously lockout accomplishes nothing id rather keep the same CBA.The owners argument is they arent getting enough money,lets think about what a lockout accomplishes.Lockout=NO REVENUE at all..so go from 40.2% or w/e it is exactly to getting 0.00%...i dont see how that makes sense but hey im no business man this isnt what i do lol.Lockout looks very realistic but i hope not :/.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    Not sure what i would do without football and the Rams .But seriously lockout accomplishes nothing id rather keep the same CBA.The owners argument is they arent getting enough money,lets think about what a lockout accomplishes.Lockout=NO REVENUE at all..so go from 40.2% or w/e it is exactly to getting 0.00%...i dont see how that makes sense but hey im no business man this isnt what i do lol.Lockout looks very realistic but i hope not :/.
    But that's just the thing. If Teke is right, they get the money from the tv contracts with or without putting a product on the field. And what would stop them from fielding scab teams if they really wanted to? I'm sure there are lots of former college stars out there who would jump at the opportunity to make say ten grand a week and regain a national spotlight.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Lockout. Dumbest idea on the planet.

I picture it with owners on one side and union bosses on the other. Both sides are holding a knife to the players throat, screaming to the other side, "do what I want, or I'll cut 'em."

Just dumb all the way around.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod