By Jeremy Green
Scouts Inc.
2/15/06

I thought this was a good out look what has happened this in the NFL so I thought I would share it for who might had a Chance to see it..

At the end of the NFL's regular season, there are always a lot of changes. In addition to player movement, there will be changes to coaching staffs and front offices. However, in recent history we have never seen anything like what happened after the 2005 season. By the time the dust settled, there were 10 head coaching vacancies to be filled.
To date, nine of those openings have been filled. Some look like great hires. In other instances, you kind of scratch your head and wonder, "What was this team thinking?"

Any time there is a lot of movement within the NFL, there is going to be a lot of talk. "Was this a good hire, was this a bad hire?" Truth be told, nobody will really know until two to three years from right now.

As an owner and GM, when you hire a head coach, there are certain things you're looking for. You want a coach who can relate well to players and other key people in the organization. When possible, you would like to find a coach whose philosophies are similar to the personnel you have in place. This will make for a much quicker transition on the field.

Perhaps most importantly, you want to find a man who is extremely organized and can put a solid staff together. Although the head coach is the man in charge, he can only be as good as those who work for him.

This is why most coaches having success today came from the Bill Walsh tree. Nobody was better than Walsh in terms of letting his assistants coach. Those assistants have now gone on and formed their own trees, so to speak.

In looking at this season's hires, I see few organizations that did an outstanding job of going out and getting the right fit. These new head coaches are a solid fit with their organization's philosophies, and they did a good job of finding solid coordinators whose philosophies fit their own.