Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme

Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme
    Andrew Bagnato
    The Arizona Republic
    Aug. 15, 2004 12:00 AM

NFL contract incentives are like playoff contenders in August. Some are realistic. Some aren't.

Talks between San Diego and quarterback Philip Rivers, the fourth overall pick in the draft, broke down in part because the Chargers insisted on incentives that could only be described as ludicrous. Under the reported terms of the team's proposal, Rivers would be paid a $5 million bonus if he appeared in four Pro Bowls and won four Super Bowls in his first six seasons.

He would receive another $7.5 million if he appeared in five Pro Bowls and won five Super Bowls during that time. And he would get an additional $10 million if he appeared in six Pro Bowls and won six Super Bowls in his first six seasons. That's a total of $22.5 million for six Pro Bowl appearances and six Super Bowl wins in six seasons.

Needless to say, no one has ever approached these feats in the long and storied history of the NFL. Still, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith called it a "great offer" when he announced early in the week that the club had rescinded the offer and broken off talks.

Rivers' agent, Jimmy Sexton, replied in a statement, "We are confused by the Chargers calling it 'a great offer' when such a large amount is impossible to ever achieve."

So the talks broke down, although reports out of San Diego indicate the two sides are really only about $4.25 million apart in base salary over a six-year deal and that club insiders expect an agreement to be worked out within days.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: Chargers' offer to Rivers takes incentives to extreme

I'm no expert on salary negotiations (I'm not even a novice), but this sounds pretty silly to me.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I heard about those incentives the other day and it changed my mind about Rivers and (Eli) Manning. It's like the Postons are running San Diego's front office. I thought something was up when I saw that Jimmy Sexton was his agent, knowing that Sexton was usually pretty good about getting players signed (as far as I can remember). Quentin Jammer held out last year; LaDainian Tomlinson the year before. And now this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    I heard about those incentives the other day and it changed my mind about Rivers and (Eli) Manning. It's like the Postons are running San Diego's front office. I thought something was up when I saw that Jimmy Sexton was his agent, knowing that Sexton was usually pretty good about getting players signed (as far as I can remember). Quentin Jammer held out last year; LaDainian Tomlinson the year before. And now this.
    EDM, I felt the same way when I heard about the negotiations. On draft day, I was not an Eli fan. I just didn't think a rookie should be making the demands he was making. But after hearing this, he did the right thing.

I wonder if San Diego has any Poston clients. Could you just imagine the nuclear meltdown that would happen if the Postons were dealing with the Chargers FO? Wow, worth the price of admission.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I swear the Poston brothers should start their own reality T.V. show.

The Po$ton$

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

OK, he was offered $10 million if he won 6 Super Bowls AND played in 6 Pro Bowls....within SIX YEARS!! PUH-LEASE!
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Glad to hear how perceptions of Eli Manning are starting to change. The Chargers are worse than the Cardinals as far as organizations go.

Jimmy Sexton is one of the most reputable agents in the game, and if he can't get Rivers signed, what do you think Eli would have went through with this group?

As it looks now, Eli will be starting on opening day and Rivers probably won't even be in uniform. Way to go Eli.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to applaud Eli for his behavior, but it does seem as if he got a good read on the Chargers organization and did what was going to be best for his career. I'm just not sold on draftees saying who they will or won't play for in general though.

I just read in a discussion on another forum that those incentives are on top of a $40 million dollar six year deal, thus making the total of the contract over $60 million if Rivers were to meet those incentives. So, if that's true, then even if he doesn't reach those incentives, he's still getting $40 million over six years, which sounds pretty good.