Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Chicago Bears cut DT Tank Johnson

Bears say goodbye to troubled defensive tackle
    By Larry Mayer
    June 25, 2007

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Bears stood by and supported Tank Johnson throughout a series of transgressions, but violating the club’s no-tolerance policy cost him his job.

The Bears on Monday waived the troubled defensive tackle, who was pulled over and arrested by police in Arizona at 3:30 a.m. Friday.

“We are upset and embarrassed by Tank’s actions last week,” said general manager Jerry Angelo. “He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn’t, and we have decided to move on.”

Johnson was released from Cook County Jail May 13 after serving 60 days for a probation violation stemming from a gun charge. On June 3, he was suspended by the NFL without pay for the first eight games of the regular season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

While Johnson was in jail, he was visited by several members of the Bears organization including Angelo, coach Lovie Smith, chairman of the board Michael McCaskey and several teammates.

“A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank: players, coaches and our front office,” Smith said. “We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately, Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal.”
    Not entirely surprising after his more recent run in with the law. Now the only question is does anyone touch him knowing they'll be without his services for at least eight games.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

WestSideRamsFan Guest

would you take tank johnson?

now that he has been waived ....would u take him?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: would you take tank johnson?

Nope. He's already suspended, and probably will have the suspension increased.

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Re: Chicago Bears cut DT Tank Johnson

It depends what that asking price is. He sure does carry A LOT of baggage with him, but given the lack of depth on the DLine, it's hard not to look at him or perhaps take a chance on the guy. The suspension hurts, but you almost have to look long term here because there are other positions on the defensive side of the ball and the offensive line that need to be addressed as well.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Yeah, I wouldn't touch Tank with a ten foot pole.

Man, I wonder if Lovie wishes we still had Kennedy on the market. Although the Bears have probably been planning on not having Tank for a while anyways due to his suspension, I would have a hard time believing the former Rams DC wouldn't be open to the idea of getting a former player for a sixth round pick now that he has one less DT on his roster.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Man, I wonder if Lovie wishes we still had Kennedy on the market. Although the Bears have probably been planning on not having Tank for a while anyways due to his suspension, I would have a hard time believing the former Rams DC wouldn't be open to the idea of getting a former player for a sixth round pick now that he has one less DT on his roster.
    Bears are all of a sudden lacking depth at the DT position, depth that is needed to run the cover 2 like they do. They do a great job of rushing the QB with just their 4 down linemen. To do this you can't have the big guys play every down, you need a good solid rotational system with quality depth. They still do have Tommy Harris though, but it was Tank that plugged the middle to allow Harris to avoid double teams to get into the backfield.

Tank Johnson - Waived
    Ian Scott - Signed with the Eagles
    Alphonso Boone - Signed with the Chiefs

There are also reports that DE Alex Brown wants out, and there are a few teams in the mix of trading for him. Who knows what happens to the Briggs situation. Bears front office already made it clear who they wanted to pay the top dollar on that defense (Urlacher). Mark Anderson played well for them last season, but all of a sudden that great Bears defense may not be so great anymore, especially if Brown and Briggs also leave to some other team.
    Last edited by Bud Light Guy; -06-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't know why you feel the need to bring Polish people with overactive pituitary glands into the discussion, Nick.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Av, i am not sure that nick was disparaging polish people, as much as he was creating a vivid analogy featuring the infamous loch ness monster that lives inside the pants of our fearless leader.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

This will make Jackson's life easier in the NFC Championship game. Yee-haww.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Fox Sports Poll re:Tank Johnson

Of 38,327 respondents 85% think the Bears did the right thing...
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Hmmm Tank is apparently a liar, and will probably be gone for the whole season now, that being said he would be worth a shot depending on the price. if someone is gonna pay him big $$ then no. If we could get him cheap and rear him towards the end of the season and perhaps next season then yes. Just stipulate the contract and make sure if he get's stupid he don't get paid. best rehab in the world p.s. He was also given the lightest level of drinking and driving, this is kind of a weak call it sounds like. He may not be that bad. My question is why don't these guys just get a chauffer??? or a friend DD seriously
    Last edited by bigtiger737; -06-26-2007 at 07:13 AM.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    This will make Jackson's life easier in the NFC Championship game. Yee-haww.
    haha yeah, it's funny how all of ESPNs' analysts think the Bears defense won't be hurt much. They could lose Briggs and Brown as stated before, lost the tank, boone, scott, and safeties johnson and worrell. They may be thinking that their rookies can do it, but if they lose briggs and brown, there will be too many holes from their starting defense to fill.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Talking Re: Chicago Bears cut DT Tank Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    p.s. He was also given the lightest level of drinking and driving, this is kind of a weak call it sounds like. He may not be that bad. My question is why don't these guys just get a chauffer??? or a friend DD seriously
    Or better yet just call Paris.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Worst speeding ticket ever.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Av, i am not sure that nick was disparaging polish people, as much as he was creating a vivid analogy featuring the infamous loch ness monster that lives inside the pants of our fearless leader.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    you sir should we awarded a prize for being able to make me laugh that hard.

and personally i'd take the chance on him. sign him to a decent sized contract over two or three years. mabye worth 2-3 million a year. but in the contract i'd have a clause that if he messes up i can cut him at any point and keep the money. ontop of that i'd set up a strict regulation of what he can and can not do. if he violates that then he gets fined and he sits a game without pay.

i think he can return to being the really great player that he once was if he can get his life in order. some people just need more discipline then others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast