Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Chiefs | L. Johnson on trading block?

Chiefs | L. Johnson on trading block?
    Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:54:43 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have offered RB Larry Johnson to teams in order to acquire more draft picks.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Chiefs | L. Johnson on trading block?

Well Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star, I find that very hard to believe.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

The Chiefs would be insane to trade LJ. He is an absolute beast at RB, and very young as well. They would have to get at least 2 first rounders in return to even think about trading him.

Raze is offline Registered User

Thats gotta be wrong

the Chiefs would be insane to let him go

UNLESS hes caused more dressing room/off-field problems!

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Smokkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

itsguud is offline Registered User

pfftt, I thought this was gonna be a real thread... Someone tell Adam Teicher that April fools ends on April 1st not 30th.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

From everything I've seen, Teicher's remarks are based on the fact that the Chiefs have brought in half a dozen of the top RBs in the draft for an interview. However, what isn't mentioned is that the Chiefs want to share more of the load so that Johnson isn't forced to break another carries record this season like he did last season.

Especially when faced with the idea that Brodie Croyle may be the starting QB for the Chiefs, the run game could become an even bigger factor. And the 27-year-old (turns 28 mid-season) won't last long carrying the ball 400+ times like he did last year.

The Chiefs probably will bring in another RB, but to help Johnson, not replace him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I would say if anything, the Chiefs are in the same situation the Rams are in at the moment and bringing in collegiate RBs are strictly for sharing the workload with Jackson and Johnson. Johnson had a ridiculous amount of carries, Jackson had a lot as well. They really need a good different paced back to share the load with Jackson/Johnson. I'd say Johnson could definitely get a bigger type of back, a Bettis protype if you will, maybe get a fullback or something. For Jackson's situation I'd love to see us get a smaller type of back in one of the later rounds. I don't see either team really NEEDING to get a RB on 1st day when there are many other pressing needs for both teams.

Although I'd love to see the Chiefs take a 2nd/3rd round pick on a RB and waste their pick on something that isn't that needed, it won't happen, I doubt they're that stupid...They're not trading Johnson by the way lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rams2061 Guest

To give up Larry Johnson, that would put a real hurting on the Chiefs. He's carried that team for the last couple of years.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm sure the Chiefs are looking to shake things up, but getting rid of Johnson would be pure suicide.

My bet is.....Johnson is a Chief in 2007.

Any takers?

Yea, I didn't think so. This is another case of a reporter taking 1 adding 1 and coming up with 3.714.

Will they get another RB fairly early? Yea, probably......simply because Green is most likely gone (leaving Croyle to learn on-the-job), and Johnson can't run 400+ carry seasons for too long. Why burn him out, when they can bring in a youngster to help carry the load?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Keenum is offline Registered User

I've heard a lot more about Johnson being on the trading block, and now I've heard that the Chiefs invited 4 possible 1st round RBs to be interviewed as well.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Well Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star, I find that very hard to believe.
    I agree, when I saw this, could not believe it...

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I've heard a lot more about Johnson being on the trading block, and now I've heard that the Chiefs invited 4 possible 1st round RBs to be interviewed as well.
    I'm still accepting takers on my bet. I've got.......Johnson is an '07 Chief.

Any takers?

Still nothing?

There is no way Johnson gets traded.
    The Chiefs will bring on a rookie RB to supplement LJ, not replace LJ.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm still accepting takers on my bet. I've got.......Johnson is an '07 Chief.

Any takers?

Still nothing?

There is no way Johnson gets traded.
    The Chiefs will bring on a rookie RB to supplement LJ, not replace LJ.
    HUbison is right I found this on NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10145563

<H4>THE REAL DEAL

It got little notice last season, but Kansas City running back Larry Johnson played in enough games to void the final two years of his contract in 2008 and 2009.
    Now, 2007 is scheduled to be the last year on Johnson's contract, which is one reason the Chiefs have been so active in bringing top college running backs to Kansas City for visits.
    The Chiefs would like to reduce Johnson's workload, but they also need to cover themselves in the event that they cannot hammer out a new contract with their Pro Bowl running back. By drafting a running back on Saturday, something they have intimated to others that they will do, they have the insurance against Johnson that they need.
    And it doesn't look like Johnson is on the trading block, as some have speculated. Any team trading for Johnson would have to work out a long-term contract with his agent, and to date, there have been no contract talks with other teams.
    </H4>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast