RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Chris Brown requests Trade

Titans' Brown wants out
    By John Murphy, Yahoo! Sports
    July 20, 2006

John Murphy
    Yahoo! Sports
    Tennessee Titans running back Chris Brown, who is entering the last year of his rookie contract, officially has requested the right to seek a trade, according to Brown's representatives from Morgan Advisory Group.

The Titans received official notification of the request in a letter written by agents Ryan Morgan and Wynn Silberman and delivered to the team on Monday. Brown decided his long-term future in Tennessee was in doubt after his agents met with general manager Floyd Reese.

In early June, Brown became a bit anxious over the fact that he still had not received a contract extension. The Titans' drafting of USC's LenDale White and the re-signing of veteran Travis Henry further added to Brown's uneasiness.

League sources said that Brown's name was mentioned in a variety of possible trades, but Reese had yet to provide Brown or his new representation permission to seek a trade. Reese, who has been on vacation in recent weeks, also had not given them any indication that the team felt obligated to negotiate a new contract.

Brown entered Tennessee's most recent minicamp as the only healthy running back among the team's top three. He was prepared to have his best season, though his numbers dropped off from career bests of 1,067 rushing yards and a 4.9-yard carry average in 2004 to 851 yards and a 3.8 mark last season.

At 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, Brown who led the Big 12 Conference in rushing during his senior year at Colorado has ideal size. His attributes would be best served in a run-oriented scheme that favors backs who like to make one cut, move and go, as he has shown an extra burst in the open field. Brown also has better hands than advertised (53 career receptions in 37 games).

Teams that could potentially show interest in obtaining the rights to Brown include the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans. The dark horse team would be the Minnesota Vikings; Brown's former position coach in college, Eric Bieniemy, is now part of the Vikings' coaching staff.
    What would you guys think of him? A backup to Jackson?

RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Brown requests Trade

I dont think we will get him cause we need a really really experienced guy backing Jackson and i dont think we have enough money

Rip32 is offline Registered User

I think the reason he wants a trade is because he doesnt want to be a backup,he wants to go somewhere he has a chance to start and thats not here.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Exactly, Rip. It seems clear that Brown wants to go someplace where he's the man. Having Travis Henry and LenDale White in the backfield is making him uneasy, so he probably would not want to come to a team as a back-up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Re: ON PANIc OVER FAULK:--BERNIE

Could this be our mystery back?

Chris Brown wants out of Tennessee

NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (July 21, 2006) -- Titans running back Chris Brown is heading into the final year of his contract and believes being traded away from a crowded backfield is his best career move, his agent said.

Brown's agents, Ryan Morgan and Wynn Silberman, officially requested a trade in a letter sent July 17. Brown has been the Titans' starter the past two years and tops the depth chart this season.

"To us, it's not anything against the organization," Morgan said. "We feel there are a number of other places that would provide a significantly better fit as Chris heads into this contract year."

The Titans, who report for training camp July 27, declined to comment on the trade request. General manager Floyd Reese has been working to sign the team's 10 draft picks, and was scheduled to meet July 21 with the agent for Vince Young.

But the Titans have plenty of running backs to choose from this season after drafting LenDale White out of Southern California in the second round. They traded for Travis Henry before last season, and he spent the offseason working himself into shape after recovering from an old ankle injury.

Also on the roster for training camp are Jarrett Payton, son of the late Walter Payton, Damien Bush and seventh-round draft pick Quinton Ganther.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Brown, a third-round pick out of Colorado in 2003, ran for 851 yards in 15 games in 2005, well ahead of Henry's 335 yards rushing while suspended for four games. Brown had 224 rushing attempts, only four more than he had in 2004 when he played four fewer games.

Brown ran for 1,067 yards, a 4.9-yard average, in 11 games as a starter in 2004. He put on some extra muscle this offseason to help his endurance.

"We think he clearly has the ability to be a top back in the league, and we are concerned. The roster composition is a concern for us. We understand that the NFL is very competitive, and Chris is up to that task," Morgan said.

"When you actually dig in and look at the facts as they are in Tennessee, the facts kind of speak for themselves as far as the future of the organization is headed."

The Titans didn't get a chance to run the ball much last season with only 397 rushes, the lowest total in coach Jeff Fisher's first 11 full seasons with the team. Trailing by double digits in each of their losses, throwing instead of running was their lone option most of the season.

Other possible backs may include Lee Suggs, as mentioned by RF16 on another forum, and Marcel Shipp. Despite his tall running style and his tendency to get injured, I would love seeing Brown backing up Steven.
    As always.....

GO RAMS!!!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Titans running back Chris Brown is heading into the final year of his contract and believes being traded away from a crowded backfield is his best career move, his agent said.
    So why would he even consider coming to the Rams to play second fiddle to Jackson?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    So why would he even consider coming to the Rams to play second fiddle to Jackson?
    Because, he'd get alot more carries than he would in Tennessee being a changeup back.

Jackson would still get his load but also would Brown.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Because, he'd get alot more carries than he would in Tennessee being a changeup back.
    Really? Everything I've seen has Brown still listed as the starter going into this season. As a starter for the last two years he's had 220 or more carries. Somehow I doubt he'd reach that mark backing up Steven Jackson, and even if he has some of his carries cut into by both Henry and White, as a starter he's still going to get more touches than he would elsewhere as a back-up.

Furthermore, Brown's agent is quoted as saying, "We think he clearly has the ability to be a top back in the league, and we are concerned. The roster composition is a concern for us." Yeah, this sounds like a guy who's going to enjoy being a back-up. :confused:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I can't think of many teams were he would be the starter. If I was him I'd stay at Tennessee and try to win/keep the starting job.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The article mentions the Broncos, Texans, and Vikings as possible suitors, but I think he could also start for the Packers, Jets, or possibly the ***** (depending on their confidence in Gore). However, I don't think a trade will go through, though, because the Titans would not be happy starting Travis Henry or Lendale White at the beginning of the season. Brown's best bet will probably be to just use this year to showcase his skills and land a lucrative deal in free agency. If Brown can reprise his 2004 numbers, he'll get noticed. He had over 1,000 yards in only 11 games that year, but he's had surgery on both ankles since then.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

There arent many places he can go that will give him the starting job straight away. A lot of the teams mentioned are already tied up to certain players, and its almost too late for him to be traded now and earn a starting job. He has to learn the system, and isnt that talented that he can just step into the starting position

RB Brown backs off, then buckles down
    Despite trade talk, he says he'll work for No. 1 spot as Titan
    By DAVID BOCLAIR
    The Daily News Journal
    Saturday, 07/29/06

CLARKSVILLE — Chris Brown insists he does not run from competition. However, following the Titans' first training camp workout Friday, the running back did attempt to distance himself from a trade request made by his agents a week earlier.

"I have my agents try to do what's best for me," he said. "They're taking care of business. I have to come out here because I have a job to do. I have to help this team try to win. I'm going to go out, work hard in training camp and try to help us win.

"I want to be in Tennessee. I want to be in Nashville and I want to stay here."

The fourth-year veteran started training camp Friday at the top of the depth chart, a spot he has held — when healthy — for the past two seasons. He took the first handoff in every drill and said he felt fresh and strong after having added 10 pounds to his 6-foot-3 frame during the offseason, although he did slip and fall several times on a rain-soaked field at Austin Peay.

Even so, it is not certain that he will hold that spot beyond this season, or even past training camp.

Brown is in the final year of a contract he signed as a rookie in 2003 after being drafted in the third round out of Colorado. He is one of two backs on the roster who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in an NFL season (Travis Henry did it with Buffalo in 2002 and 2003), and the Titans' decision to draft LenDale White in the second round this past April means his potential successor already is in place.

Those factors prompted Brown's representatives to ask for a trade to a team where his role would be better defined. Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said the Titans would not honor the request.

"Chris starts out No. 1, but everybody is still competing," Henry said. "At the end of the day, we both want the ball. That's no secret. ... Once the roles are given, you have to accept it and go out and compete at the role you've been given and then go from there."

The competition was far from intense in the first workout. White was not present because he had not yet arrived following the conclusion of contract negotiations a day earlier.

Brown and Henry — as well as the rest of the backs in camp — rotated through the lineup one play at a time.

"What we're going to do is build reps," Coach Jeff Fisher said. "The philosophy is to take one at a time and build to two and before the end of camp they will be taking five, six, seven reps at a time preparing themselves for a drive."

Once the games start, there won't be that many handoffs to go around, a fact that Brown said does not intimidate him.

"I went to Colorado and it was like Running Back U when I first went there," he said. "Everybody told me not to go there and I was fifth on the depth chart (when I started). It's nothing to me. I have to go out there, compete and let the better man win.

"I'm going to go out there and give you everything I've got."

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

IMPO i think Brown is starting material as a back. Every game i seen him in he looked really good to me.

Return To Glory is offline Registered User

no I dont like them tennessee players. they are so bad and cocky, we have steven jackson that is all the cockyness we need.

Lamb Of God Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16

Jackson would still get his load but also would Brown.
    He'd also have a better chance starting in Tennessee than he would in St. Louis. Sorry, but until LenDale White officially WINS the job on a regular basis, I'm not quite willing to write Brown off as the starter.

As for teams he could logically start for...

-- Cleveland
    -- Pittsburgh (I think he's better than Parker, maybe I'm alone)
    -- New York (Jets.. Could be the HB of the Future there with Martin aging. His start could begin immediately.
    -- San Francisco
    -- Denver