throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rip32 Guest

Chris Johnson Signs With Chiefs

Chiefs signed CB Chris Johnson

Johnson's only discernible skill in St. Louis was on returns. He'll try to make the team as a cornerback.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Chris Johnson Signs With Chiefs

Dang. I really liked that guy as KR. He had good speed and took it to the house

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Man, that trade with Green Bay really worked out for us...

[/sarcasm]
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Man, that trade with Green Bay really worked out for us...

[/sarcasm]
    Yea. Thanks to our DB coach. Shottenhiemer or something. We traded a 1st Round pick for a 7th Round pick ... Basically ...

Robert Thomas (Former 1st Round Pick)

for

Chris Johnson (Former 7th Round Pick)

Great job!

Drew4EverRams Guest

looks like KC may have a new dante hall!:tut

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I really like Daunte Hall, he has a record i think

CanadianRam! Guest

wont miss him...i can still see the horrible missed tackles he had against Houston of all teams in my mind. LMAO

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh come on.....when did Thomas do ANYTHING for the Rams to make whine about trading him for Johnson? I'll tell you....NEVER. The guy was an All-American at UCLA and for some reason never panned out. Don't blame Marmie, he was drafted on Lovie's watch. Thomas was a first round bust, not unlike most rookies.

First round picks are similar to Microsoft Windows. With Windows, you aren't shocked when it doesn't work...your shocked when it does. Same with first round draft picks, don't be shocked if they don't pan out but be extremely glad when they do.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with tx 100%. It has nothing to do with when or where thomas was drafted. He was frequently injured and never performed. His cap wasnt great. We dumped him, so what. Frankly, i think it was a great trade for us. We got something that had upside for nothing but dead weight. The fact that chris johnson didnt do anything with the exception of the one TD return is besides the point. He had size and speed and it was worth the chance. I would have been fine with cutting thomas and saving any cap space and even if it didnt save cap space, wahlroos was worth more to the team based on his special teams contributions than thomas. Did thomas do anything at all for green bay? No. Thus, where did we lose anything.

One of the lessons in the thomas situation is that whenever you drafted primarily for need (which is what happened with him in the first place) you are asking for trouble.

Bottom line is that where they were drafted is relevant in terms of their initial contract and its cap impact. After that, its irrelevant. Who cares what round someone was drafted in, i care about his performance level.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

One of the lessons in the thomas situation is that whenever you drafted primarily for need (which is what happened with him in the first place) you are asking for trouble.
    and GC, that's what is scaring me about this draft. I don't want another DLew type of player just because we need a DT. If a QB is available at 11 and has more upside than anyone else in the draft, either trade the pick or select a QB.

Drafting for need will shoot you in the foot....look at DLew, Pickett, and Arch. All three were drafted for need and now 2 out of the 3 (DLew and Arch) were needed to get the heck out of STL. Pickett, well I could have seen keeping him after last season but to me that's not a loss that can't be filled either.

I view the drafting for need risk in this draft as grabbing greenway at #11 simply because he is the next best linebacker available after hawk. I think ngata is worth it at 11.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Oh come on.....when did Thomas do ANYTHING for the Rams to make whine about trading him for Johnson?
    What did Johnson ever do for the Rams to make this trade good for us? Wow, that kick return in a loss to Seattle was really amazing. Thanks for the memories, Chris.

Now, the Rams are likely going to be drafting a linebacker somewhere in the first 3-4 rounds because we need another one, even after signing a guy like Smith.

I'm not going to pretend that Thomas ever lived up to his draft status, but the Rams are in need of another starting linebacker, which like him or not, that's what Thomas was. At worst he'd be competing with Chillar and Smith for the job. At best, maybe Haslett gets him to play to his potential.

My point Nick is this: what good was Thomas anyway? Forget Johnson for a moment. Would you still want Thomas on this team? Do you think he'll ever turn out to be as good as he was in college?

No and No for my vote.

The reports last year were that thomas was going to be cut. He was not going to be on the team last year regardless of whether we made the trade. We also needed help at corner last year with butler out and with claiborne signed, we needed more help at corner than we did at thomas's spot, especially given that he wasnt very good on special teams. Again, the issue isnt what chris johnson did for the rams, its what the trade looked like at the time it was made, which to me, was upside only given that thomas was going to be cut one way or the other. I dont believe in 20-20 hindsight.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Would you still want Thomas on this team?
    Yes, because we could certainly use as much competition and depth at LB as possilbe. I'm not going to pretend Thomas has lived up to his draft status, but his experience as a starter at both MLB and OLB certainly would have put him a step above Chillar and Smith right now in the starting OLB competition, IMO.

Do you think he'll ever turn out to be as good as he was in college?
    Dunno, but I would have liked to see what he could have done under Haslett, and would have liked to see him given more than three years with the organization. But unfortunately, he was a Lovie player that was expendable when Schottenheimer pushed for one of his guys from GB.

I'll reference this post by r8rh8rmike made back in September:

Let's put the "Thomas was crap" mentality in perspective. Last year, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree Pisa had a great year with 95 total tackles (5.9 per game), 1.5 sacks and four pass def in 16 games. In 2003 Thomas had 71 total tackles (5.9 per game), 2 sacks and 3 pass def in 12 games. Very comparable if you ask me. You didn't like Thomas and are glad he's gone, fine, but don't try to argue that he was worthless and never accomplished anything as Ram.
    Was Thomas playing at a first round level? No, and I don't think you'll find anyone to argue with about that. But he did start 30 games, and did have decent production during that time. We know from Kollar that had he not been traded, Thomas would have been with the team in 2005. Meaning he likely would still be with the team now. But instead, we're likely going to be spending a reasonably high draft pick on a linebacker (not that we wouldn't anyways but certainly the need would be at least partially reduced), and don't even have the guy we traded for.

Is anyone really supposed to be happy about this?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    The reports last year were that thomas was going to be cut. He was not going to be on the team last year regardless of whether we made the trade.
    Not according to Bill Kollar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast