ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Cleeland: Unbelievable Story

-- Cleeland Injured at Accident Scene --
    Sun May 30, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

The Boston Globe reports free-agent TE Cam Cleeland (Rams) came upon an accident scene recently. He didn't drive by or place an emergency call from his mobile phone, as perhaps many would have. Cleeland pulled over and did unto another what he would have done unto him. Rather than wait for the Big Lake Fire Department, Cleeland attempted to fight the blaze with an extinguisher, state troopers said, and while trying to remove the car's air bag from the driver's face, he suffered another injury -- severe burns to the hands with which he makes his living. Fortunately, Cleeland is still alive, and apparently in the days since his rescue attempt has been thinking more about the driver, who died, and his family than about himself. Rams spokesman Artis Twyman said he spoke last week with Cleeland, who is unsigned, and the tight end requested that the Rams not put out a news release and decline interviews on his behalf. "Cam was really shaken up about it when I talked to him," Twyman said. "I tried to talk to him but I could tell he didn't want to talk about it too much or go in depth, out of respect for the family. "He said it's something you really don't want to experience in life. It must have been really bad; I could hear him getting choked up."
    I don't even know how to react to this. Words can't express what I've been thinking.

Shale is offline Registered User

Re: Cleeland: Unbelievable Story

Wow ... I can't even imagine. My thoughts go out to him and the family of the driver. You did all you could Cam.
    </shale>

rampower is offline Registered User

what a good guy, all te best to himself and the family of the driver.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

That's an amazing story about an amazing guy.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

I agree Zigzag, hard to write what I feel after reading this. Words would not do it justice. My familys prayers go out to the drivers family and of course for Cam and his family.

MartialRAM is offline Registered User

I hope he can get over the nightmares. He was a pretty good TE. I hope we can sign him too.

MartialRAM is offline Registered User

Re: Cleeland: More on the story

Motorist died upon arrival at hospital

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Athletes commonly react on instinct. Unsigned Rams tight end Cam Cleeland risked his life on May 23 to help save someone else's.

Cleeland, 28, and his wife, Mindy, were driving along a road they travel every day in Mount Vernon, Wash. He spotted a fire off the road near a stand of trees and soon realized a passenger was in a burning car and needed help.

Cleeland, speaking publicly about the accident for the first time, described his courageous but futile attempt to save the life of Timothy Roth, a 22-year-old motorist who was trapped in the front seat of his burning 1994 Ford Taurus.

"It was an unbelievable situation," Cleeland said. "I was coming back from a softball game, and driving along Little Mountain Road. I was coming around the road and there was a car. And there was a fire."

Cleeland's wife, Mindy, dialed 911 on their cell phone while Cam rushed to the car. The fire was getting worse and Cleeland reacted.

The car was lodged and elevated between two 100-foot fir trees.

"The bottom of the window was eye-level for me," the 6-foot-5 Cleeland said. "He must have flown over the ditch and landed in the trees. I tried to rip the door off, but it was tough because the car was pinned between two trees."

Cars passed by and some older witnesses were around, but only Cleeland had the youth and courage to react. It was going to take time for the fire trucks and police to arrive.

"I was throwing dirt on him and trying to put out the fire," Cleeland said. "I also tried to keep talking to him. He could only nod his head. I was panicking. I got to thinking that this car could blow up."

The air bag in the Taurus opened, and Cleeland had to pull it away from Roth's face because the bag was on fire.

"He was pinned in there," Cleeland said. "I pushed the air bag away from his face and tried to keep talking to him to help him as best I [could]."

Another person soon arrived with a fire extinguisher. He and Cleeland worked to stop the flame. Soon, the fire truck arrived. It took 20 minutes to get Roth out of the car with the Jaws of Life.

Roth died once he arrived at the hospital.

Cleeland and his wife have been shaken up since the incident. There were no injuries to Cleeland's hands, but he did suffer some smoke inhalation. addition, there was an emotional toll.

"I still have nightmares," Cleeland said.

Professionally, Cleeland hopes to either re-sign soon with the Rams or join the Seahawks or Packers. Cleeland was scheduled to visit Green Bay this week but he wanted to wait because of the emotions of the accident.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Cleeland: More on the story

Quote Originally Posted by MartialRAM
    "I still have nightmares," Cleeland said.
    I can only imagine.

What a courageous thing this man did.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!