Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Comments on Halftime Show

Was it just me or did the Stones sound and look like crap?? My son thought that they all looked like "wrinkled old skinny men from a nursing home" (his words). I guess that I do not get the nostalgia or hype of the Stones in their 60s. One thing is for sure, I would never dish out top dollar (or anything actually) after seeing them at halftime. I just think that for the Super Bowl the NFL could do better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Comments on Halftime Show

Yep, they were pretty bad.

But this is what you'll see, since the NFL apparently doesn't trust any young artists to not get naked on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Yep, they were pretty bad.

But this is what you'll see, since the NFL apparently doesn't trust any young artists to not get naked on stage.
    Thank heavens the Stones stayed dressed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

One thing I have noticed is that football and 80's heavy metal go together hand in hand.

Kiss would have done good. So would Ted Nugent. Great White...Whitesnake...Poison...Motley Crue...

It's great to see music legends perform. It's better to see artists that aren't shooting up Geritol.

I think we need to see more hair bands on stage at football games. After all, a lot of their music is played...

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

You got that right SFC.
    Sad is that in the most american party, a british band is playing. What the hell they have to do with football anyway.
    You want classics? here you have classics: Metallica, KISS, Beach Boys, Megadeth . . and believe me, when they jump they're arms stays firms, if you kow what I mean . . .

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nah, they should have had a collection of classic Motown artists to celebrate Detriot's music legacy. Either that or Detriot Native Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Nah, they should have had a collection of classic Motown artists to celebrate Detriot's music legacy. Either that or Detriot Native Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band.
    I agree. This is Motown. It would have been better to celebrate local acts and stars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Halftime entertainment for SB XL was pretty BAD, quite lame. The Stones sounded poorly; even some microphones or sound equip malfuncioned for a second or two -- how is that possible when you consider the venue?

SCFRF, your son got the right impression!

PS: Also, TV commercials -- IMO most of them were under par. Almost boring; again, considering the ultra high $ reputation of SB air time.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-06-2006 at 12:35 AM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN
    You got that right SFC.
    Sad is that in the most american party, a british band is playing. What the hell they have to do with football anyway.
    You want classics? here you have classics: Metallica, KISS, Beach Boys, Megadeth . . and believe me, when they jump they're arms stays firms, if you kow what I mean . . .
    A bit parochial I'd suggest, especially if you are intent on hailing the "world Champion" Steelers afterwards.

Personally, I think the Motown idea would have been a good one. Or Kiss of the 'Detroit Rock City' Alive II era.

Granted that the idea for SB XL was to celebrate, to 'look back' at forty years of NFL greatness by virtue of the Super Bowl, thus calling forward all former MVPs, etc. (some are still arguing why Montana and Bradshaw were no shows yesterday).

But the Rolling Stones performance was simply lacking the right impact. Something about the halftime show left an empty feeling in justifying the 40 year significance. Either that or a bad taste in the mouth (must have been that large logo of the Sticky Fingers waggin' tounge).

:tut
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-06-2006 at 09:03 PM.

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Thank goodness someone posted this. I was thinking the same thing also. The Stones did sound and look terrible. Just as RealRam stated, something was truly missing.

mh-i is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=RealRam]Halftime entertainment for SB XL was pretty BAD, quite lame. The Stones sounded poorly; even some microphones or sound equip malfuncioned for a second or two -- how is that possible when you consider the venue?

When you have 5 or 10 minutes to set up a huge rock show a malfunction or 2 is to be expected. At least they played live..............................allthough Keith Richards looks like he died 5 years ago!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I saw the Stones in the 80's and they sounded rough then, but to me they are still one of the greatest R & R bands ever. I think they should have done Street Fighting Man instead of Satisfaction though. That being said, I would take them over any rap or pop artist the NFL would have picked for todays music. You also have to remember that they are trying to please what , 200 million here in the states (or colonies for Dez) alone. And there are very few groups that can do that. Maybe in the rock market I would say Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, or the Eagles. I think that Aerosmith did it a couple of years ago, and I don't think the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac would do a superbowl. Finally as far as Jagger and his chicken wings are concerened, I bet Mike Holgrem would have prefered him out there catching balls instead of Stevens!

Joe

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Don't even get me started on the rediculous spectacles that are Super Bowl halftime shows.

Do it, R8rh8rMike!

I agree with MoonJoe, the Stones are by far MUCH better than many of today's bands -- and there are so many. Their repertoire holds many excellent classics as well as more recent tunes.

However, yesterday's performance, specifically, left much to be desired. To me, anyway. Just as it occurs when a football team can't get it going throughout 60 min. no matter what they try, and simply end up losing the gig -- I mean the game.

Sure, much of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the producers and the middle people: the rehearsals and super quick setups (as Mh-i implied), the audience, etc.

That's quite a challenge of multitasking!

I just think that for a SPECIAL, 40 YEAR occasion of the S-U-P-E-R BOWL, the show fell short.

Let's see what SUPER BOWL L brings about. It's not that far away. :angryram:
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-07-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast