throwback week

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rammed
  • 1 Post By DE_Ramfan
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Confident Prediction, or inside knowledge?

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Confident Prediction, or inside knowledge?

Early in the game, Joe Buck says something that sounded pretty suspect. Having watched the game, and especially seeing that the officials chose not to through a Pass interference or Defensive Holding flag at the end of the game, I believe someone had inside knowledge on who was going to win.

As the digits are about ready to kick-off, to start the game, Joe Buck says the following.

"Five straight road playoff losses for the *****, but that's ancient history".

I thought to myself, "Huh? Has the game already been played? I hope the Falcons punk the digits to make him eat his homerism words.

After the game I am thinking the fix was in.

The Falcons really did play bad enough to lose, but several calls and non-calls by the officials did change the game's outcome. These are only the blatant failures.

A digits player was pushing #54 around AFTER THE WHISTLE, and falls down as 54 steps out of the way. Falcons flagged for unnecessary roughness. ????

With 10 seconds left in the 3rd, the the digits fail on 3rd and 7, but someone's hand grazes Kap's facemask and the officials has the flag thrown before the defender hits the ground. Like he was looking for a reason to throw the flag.

On the very next Falcon's drive, Ryan is hit just after the throws the ball. The Blitzer come up the middle and hits him helmet on helmet, yet there is not 15 yard penalty added to the end of the completion.

Game ends as the Falcons are 4th and 4 at the ten, and Roddy White is mugged as the ball is being thrown to him, yet no flag is thrown.

Here is the video of Joe Buck's "premanition".
    http://www.iamgap.com/vids/9ersFalcons.wmv

gap

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Confident Prediction, or inside knowledge?

Whoa you can't just drop something like this without letting me get my tinfoil hat on first. Wtf dude.

sakl18 is offline Registered User

He was referring to "ancient history" as meaning that it's in the past, and this is a different team that's playing. As for the calls, refs aren't perfect. Some poor calls will be made, some will be missed. It's the nature of the game. And to be honest, even if there was a fix, I doubt the commentator would be in on it.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I believe the last road playoff loss for the ***** was in 2002, when Jeff Garcia's ***** faced off against Brad Johnson's Buccaneers. The streak he's referring to began in 1993. So yes, the streak of five straight is pretty ancient history.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Two words: Grassy Knoll
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Two words: Grassy Knoll
    There was a second broadcaster! The NFL destroyed the footage!
    Rammed likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Your theory is a classic example of the "zebra principle."

If you hear hoofbeats, your best bet is to conclude that there are horses approaching, not zebras.

Similarly, in this case, there is a much more obvious explanation than your grand conspiracy theory: the officials are human beings who make bad calls from time to time.

If you want to blame someone, blame Matt Ryan for not looking at Tony Gonzalez, who was open on the goal line on the final play.
    Nick and gap like this.

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Your theory is a classic example of the "zebra principle."

If you hear hoofbeats, your best bet is to conclude that there are horses approaching, not zebras.

Similarly, in this case, there is a much more obvious explanation than your grand conspiracy theory: the officials are human beings who make bad calls from time to time.

If you want to blame someone, blame Matt Ryan for not looking at Tony Gonzalez, who was open on the goal line on the final play.
    I agree with this. I also agree that the officials are human, and make mistakes. I just get frustrated when the mistakes mostly happen in favor of certain teams.

As I stated in my original post, the Falcons did not play well enough to win. They should have made the necessary adjustments to keep SF from gaining so much momentum. They deserved to lose with the way they played.

I do, though, have to wonder that if they had played better, would the officiating still negated it? I am sorry, I just cannot get past how the officials were spotting the ball and how they were eager to flag the Falcons for 15 yd penalties, but didn't flag the digits for equally (if not more) deserving actions. If you watch the game again, notice how the ball is spotted in a large portion of the game. The side judge comes in, and as he is walking towards the ball, he walks at least a half yard towards the Falcons players, favoring the digits. Not once did I see them make this adjustment in favor of the Falcons.

gap