Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

COWBOYS: Bill Parcells retires

Parcells retires from coaching after 9-7 season
    Associated Press
    Updated: Jan. 22, 2007, 12:09 PM ET

IRVING, Texas -- Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys' season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle. He'd been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," he said in a statement. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard."

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: COWBOYS: Bill Parcells retires

I'm surprised by that,I thought if he was leaving he would have done it sooner.The longer he left it the more it looked like he would return..:l

Jonze is offline Registered User

A shame in my opinion. A great coach, I have a lot of respect for Parcells and his coaching and accomplishments. Funny too, seen a couple of hilarious moments from some of his many press-conferences.
    Any guesses as to who will take over?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Say good bye to the TUNA. Love the guy, he will be missed, by me anyway.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

I lost all respect for him when he was spending Super Bowl week as coach of the Pats distracting his teams with rumors of him going to the Jets. (I didn't even want the Pats to win, it was just dishonorable behavior).

Just an aged steetwalker, showing the wares off for the high bidder.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

I love the Tuna, but at least now I can go back to hating the Cowboys full time.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I will miss his press, he was great to watch. I wounder how much TO had to do with this?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I for one will miss him. I have the utmost respect for Parcells, clearly one of the greatest coaches of all time, all you have to do is look at how many of his former assistant coaches are working in all layers around the NFL. The man clearly left his mark on the sport. Besides that he always seemed like a great guy, his press conferences were awesome, he was always very up-front instead of talking wishy-washy politically correct bull**** and wasting everyone's time. One of my favorite coaches.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Yeah, I think he was one of the best as well. His responses to the idiots behind the microphones sometimes were classics.

I wonder how much of the "T.O. influence" weighed in his decision? I can hear the conversation with Jerry Jones now.....

Parcells; "So Jerry, are you gonna keep this jerk around for another year?"

Jones; "why yes Bill, he's a great asset to the team, great team player and he puts butts in the seats".

Parcells; "I'm outta here"....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Parcells retires from coaching after 9-7 season
    Associated Press
    Updated: Jan. 22, 2007, 12:09 PM ET

IRVING, Texas -- Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys' season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle. He'd been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," he said in a statement. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard."
    If I'm correct, he retired from the cowboys, which means he can sign with another team, but I'm not sure, but either way, now starts the Downfall of the cowboys

EDIT: I was wrong he retired from the NFL
    Last edited by ramsplaya16; -01-23-2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Built RAM tough

Drew is offline Registered User

oddly enough i had a dream the other night that Ron Rivera phoned me up and he had decided to make me his OC for the Dallas cowboys im not one to argue with a man of his size and demeanour so i took the job and boy did i suck and boy did he scream and abuse me!

anyhow if Rivera gets the job im gonna disconnect my phone and going underground!

Drew is offline Registered User

ok should have really commented on bill parcells rather than the side affects of my medication well here goes- bill parcells brings up mixed emotions with me i respected him for his coaching skills,i disliked the fact that he on the whole coached teams i disliked, his talks with the media was class kinda like ditka but with brains,there aren`t many coaches today that are from the same mould and i think thats sad!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great coach years ago, he did NOTHING with dallas. His teams collapsed at the end of the season and were a bust in the playoffs. His behavior during superbowl week, as was pointed out earlier, was truly a disgrace. He left the jets in total cap hell when he left them. His behavior surrounding the tampa bay job was also unethical in the extreme. A guy clearly living off his reputation and relationship with the media for the last several years.

I hear they are considering bringing back tom landry.

ramming speed to all

general counsel