throwback week

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Cowher Not Interested In Returning To Coaching In 2009

As per NFL.com. This may dash a few dreams.

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland's offseason has already begun with a disheartening loss. Bill Cowher is not interested in coaching the rebuilding Browns.

Following a 4-12 season that began with Cleveland pegged as one of the NFL's rising teams, the Browns fired coach Romeo Crennel on Monday. The ouster came one day after general manager Phil Savage was dismissed by owner Randy Lerner.

Lerner has begun interviewing for both openings and met with Cowher on Saturday night in New York. The former Pittsburgh Steelers coach and current CBS analyst told him he has no intention of returning to coaching in 2009. He asked Lerner to remove him from his list of coaching candidate

jkramsfan Guest

Re: Cowher Not Interested In Returning To Coaching In 2009

I didn't really think we had a shot at him even if he did come back,

tonyray05 Guest

Cowher doesn't want to ruin his reputation as a football man by trying to deal with the jackals in the front office lol. Lets fix that problem 1st.

d4nnystl539 Guest

Nooo "The Chin", say it ain't so.

I really had my hopes up for Cowher.

Maybe if we hint on drafting a Jerome Bettis-size-like RB to back up Jackson, then he may get the idea that we're willing change to his preferred power-running style...

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

id say that he looked at this years possible destinations and thought screw it i`ll stay on the sidelines till something better comes along..

this years destinations would be...

Browns-have got rid of a decent GM..dont know who will take over,but perhaps the fact that they`d line up against his beloved Steelers twice a year and be their division rivals is the deciding factor.

Lions-if i was a coach this one would make the juices flow most...you`d have the chance to become a legend just by getting them to the play-offs...fans are incredibly loyal...and if you failed you could always blame it on "the curse of Bobby Lane!

Rams-perhaps too much up in the air to draw Cowher out of the comfort zone...plus if as reported Spagnuolo & McDaniels may be out of our price range then BC certainly is!

Jets-not too far away from being serious SB contenders...Cowher would not be given anything like the time he was given to succeed in Pittsburgh tho,if he went to New Jersey!

Raiders- Al Davis...nuff said!

if John Fox hadnt turned around the Panthers this season...im 99% sure Cowher would be their HC this off-season.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    As per NFL.com. This may dash a few dreams.
    I somehow doubt it, Bar-bq. Many have been telling this same few for a long time now that Cowher is not coming here, and it hasn't slowed them down a bit.

Sometimes, I guess it's nice to have dreams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Cowher withdrawals name from Jets coaching search

via Rotoworld...

The Jets announced late Tuesday that CBS analyst Bill Cowher has withdrawn himself from consideration for the team's head-coaching vacancy.

"After reaching out to coach Cowher's representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position," the team said in a statement. The sides never even made it to discussions of money or control. Cowher has been quick to turn down both the Browns and Jets and clearly is not interested in coaching next season, despite the New York media's best efforts to make it seem like he was. Cowher is likely to return in 2010.

jdh008 is offline Registered User

I agree with some of the first posts to this thread. Cowher isn't going to stick his neck out there with a team that is getting its feet set. He is looking for a place with the players in place to win and with a GM that he knows he can work with and have some say in personnel moves. He is going to be very selective about it and should be in my mind.

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

Re: Cowher withdrawals name from Jets coaching search

Well then. OK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    via Rotoworld...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jdh008 View Post
    I agree with some of the first posts to this thread. Cowher isn't going to stick his neck out there with a team that is getting its feet set. He is looking for a place with the players in place to win and with a GM that he knows he can work with and have some say in personnel moves. He is going to be very selective about it and should be in my mind.
    Sounds to me like he's not looking for a place at all.

I can't blame him either. He has a cush job now; probably near similar money with less than half the hours. He has a ring. He's 20th in career winning percentage ahead of other great coaches like Grant, Gibbs, Belichick, Schottenheimer, Reid & Walsh (and BEHIND Martz of all people). Only 6 coaches have been to or won more playoff games than Cowher.

He has it all. He's done it all. Why would he want to take more time away from his family and himself to do more?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod