RamWraith is offline Registered User

Culpepper released

Dolphins | Culpepper released
    Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:17:17 -0700

The Miami Dolphins have announced they have terminated the contract of QB Daunte Culpepper.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Culpepper released

From Sports Illustrated:
    MIAMI (AP) -- The Miami Dolphins released quarterback Daunte Culpepper on Tuesday, ending the former Pro Bowler's short stint in South Florida and wrapping up what became a contentious split between the player and the team.

The Dolphins made the move in a one-sentence release, without further comment.

Miami tried for weeks to trade Culpepper, the former Minnesota star who was acquired by the Dolphins before the 2006 season even though he was coming off major knee surgery. Culpepper never regained his form last year, struggling in four games before the team shut him down so he could continue rehabilitating the knee.

A grievance filed by the NFL Players Association on Culpepper's behalf against the Dolphins was scheduled to be heard Wednesday, after the team told Culpepper he couldn't fully participate in offseason practices. That move came shortly after Miami traded with Kansas City for quarterback Trent Green, who's expected to be the new starter for the Dolphins.

Culpepper, who serves as his own agent, didn't immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Falcons, Jags, start your engines for the Daunte Culpepper race!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Falcons, Jags, start your engines for the Daunte Culpepper race!
    Well after today's Grand Jury bombshell I can certainly see why the Falcons would be interested, but why would the Jax Jags be interested in Culpepper?

WHAT SAY YE?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Because Byron Leftwich can't stay healthy, David Garrard doesn't cut it as a starter, and Mike Tice is the assistant head coach.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This from NFL.com:

The Jacksonville Jaguars are thought to be among the potential suitors for Culpepper; coaches there told quarterbacks Byron Leftwich and David Garrard earlier this offseason that they would consider acquiring him before training camp if he was available.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I expect rampant rumors regarding the Rams' need for a "quality" QB in case Bulger holds out and how Culpepper has done so much with so little for so long he would put a good team over the top and make them a great team!

Hey, it's a boring off-season.....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I expect rampant rumors regarding the Rams' need for a "quality" QB in case Bulger holds out and how Culpepper has done so much with so little for so long he would put a good team over the top and make them a great team!
    He had Randy Moss when he became the starting QB, and once Moss left, Culpepper did nothing. So I don't think you'll be seeing the latter argument made by many people.

Anyways, the release isn't unexpected - I don't think anyone was going to trade for Pepp after the last two years and the injury concerns. The Jags will look because they're not satisfied with their current QB situation (some would say rightfully so) and they have Tice on the staff. I'm not sure if Petrino would be interested in Daunte at this point, at least not unless they really don't think Vick will be around for a good chunk of this season. I wouldn't rule out Green Bay being interested if the price is right, but that's probably unlikely.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-18-2007 at 01:01 AM.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He had Randy Moss when he became the starting QB, and once Moss left, Culpepper did nothing. So I don't think you'll be seeing the latter argument made by many people.

Anyways, the release isn't unexpected - I don't think anyone was going to trade for Pepp after the last two years and the injury concerns. The Jags will look because they're not satisfied with their current QB situation (some would say rightfully so) and they have Tice on the staff. I'm not sure if Petrino would be interested in Daunte at this point, at least not unless they really don't think Vick will be around for a good chunk of this season. I wouldn't rule out Green Bay being interested if the price is right, but that's probably unlikely.

Nope, just a matter of time.

I don't recall Dante being shopped around as trade bait, either. Maybe if a QB goes down early into the season he may get a call....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

How about Chitown or Mike Martz in Detroit????

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Well after today's Grand Jury bombshell I can certainly see why the Falcons would be interested, but why would the Jax Jags be interested in Culpepper?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I just heard that the Jags planned to pursue Culpepper after his release. Now ESPNs John Clayotn is reporting that the Rams and Ravens are looking at him as well.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Moss didn't do much without Culpepper either. I figure there's going to be a fair amount of speculation as to whether Culpepper couldn't return to form in the right situation. Personally, I think he'd be more of a headache than he's worth here. We've already got a top notch quarterback and a competent backup.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Another potential consideration is that Culpepper played his college ball in Florida. I don't know how important that really is but since he's his own agent I'm sure his personal feelings could play more of a role.

For the Jaguars, Culpepper would be more of a luxury than a neccesity so it seems to me that Atlanta would be the place for him to go. The Rams, Packers, Bears, etc. could use a backup but I can't see Culpepper putting himself in that position.