Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Culpepper's wife hassled in Philly

Culpepper's wife hassled in Philly
    From Staff Reports, Star Tribune
    January 18, 2005

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper's wife, Kim, apparently was the target of vociferous and profane heckling Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field. Eventually, Eagles security official intervened to protect her.

Monday, the quarterback was visibly angry about the situation and said: "They are lucky I wasn't up there."

"Fans everywhere have to realize that the fight should be on the field," he added. "Nobody should have to go through the stuff my wife did from the fans Sunday. ... Yelling at players is one thing. When you start throwing beer, spitting on people ... that's how people get hurt.

"Lord knows, if I had been up there, somebody really would have gotten hurt."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Culpepper's wife hassled in Philly

How ridiculous! This poor woman is there just to watch her husband play the game, and these idiots pull nonsense like this. Don't tell me there is no place for class in football. Class is something that transcends football, and these "fans" obviously have none. And I use "fans" very loosely, they are not fans as you and I would be defined. These are nothing more than morons messing up what should be an enjoyable afternoon for all. The absolute worst that Mrs. Culpepper should have been subjected to is that her husband's team lost.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Culpepper, get a clue! Would any knowledgeable fan wear an away team jersey into a place like Philly, or Oakland, or New York and expect NOT to get hassled! Of course not! Any opposing team fan is going to get hassled, especially in the playoffs! This goes for any fan, including playersí wives.

Remember, in old Veterans Memorial Stadium they had a court in the basement so they could arraign rowdy fans immediately after their arrest.

Now I agree spitting and throwing beer is unacceptable. But you must realize it is a hostile environment.

Generally all players wifeís and guests sit in team seats together in one section of the stadium. So there is safety and security. Itís not like youíre Joe Fan sitting in a section filled with opposing fans. I suspect there was no real danger; she just didnít like the verbal bashing.

Culpepper is guilty of being stupid, naive, or both.

Incredible. We just chalk this up to "that's the way it's always been", so it's okay? Animals will be animals, we're crazy for expecting them to act like humans? Therefore...
    Culpepper is guilty of being stupid, naive, or both.
    it's the fault of Mrs. Culpepper. Unbelievable. Let's revisit what was going on...
    Yelling at players is one thing. When you start throwing beer, spitting on people ... that's how people get hurt.
    There is no call for that type of behavior. If a monkey flings poop at you, you expect it, because he's a monkey. When you're dealing with humans, you would expect them to act...well, human. And no, heckling the spouse of a player, in whatever form it takes, is not appropriate.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Didnít really intend to get into barking match; so let me clarify my point ďAn experienced fan or player should expect that type of behavior in places like Philly, Oakland, and possibly New York, especially during the playoffs.Ē

I donít condone that type of behavior, but I know from experience that it exists.

In all honesty I had the opportunity for free tickets to the Rams/Falcons game, but I passed on the tickets and watched the game on TV. I simply didnít want to put up with the hassle from Falcon fans in their dome, and Falcon fans are a rather benign group.

There are some great places to watch Rams games, KC, Indy, Phoenix, Miami, and Charlotte just to name a few. There are also some terrible places to watch Rams games, Philly, New Orleans, and surprisingly Tampa.

Culpepper has been around the league for a few years, and should understand the environment. If he does not, heís either stupid or naÔve.

Oh, and when you go to the zoo, watch out for the monkeys.

I don't mean to be barking. Sorry if you took it that way. Yea, I obviously don't condone it either, I just get pretty frustrated with morons in the stands that can't make it through a 3 hour game without being stupid.

It's just a sad statement on the mentality of some people. I'm just glad that Rams fans (present company included, of course) tend to be beyond that. We have our exceptions, but we're better than other places.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

From what I have read and from some incounters of friends, I would say that Philly fans aren't human! They are the bottom of the Barrell and seem to want to stay there!They are the most classless group That I know exists in football! But where was DC's old lady sitting anyway? Figure they would have got a press box or something like that! :upset:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

It's stupid to put her in the stands. You make enough money, put her in a suite. Those fans were nuts on Sunday, I cheered for the Eagles just to fit in.

I saw 4 Vikings fans in 9 hours, think that's a coincidence Daunte?
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

That was plain silly to put her in the stands. She should have been in a box seat. Much safer.

I have been up to the vet a bunch of times and it's best to use some common sense, like stay in groups, don't show too much color, and watch your mouth. There were fights all over the place and they had an in house court system to deal with the craziness.

I was a skins fan back then, and the Eagles and the skins always played close games. It was a good time, and we could be known to sing the ol' "hail to the redskins" song up in their stadium at the top of our lungs as long as we were way up in the nose bleeder section and semi-protected. Yeah sort of stupid I know, but we survived it.
    :redface:

Sports can bring out a lot of emotions and rudeness. It's sociology. The rules governing a group of people are different than the rules governing an individual. Just look at the soccer fans. They get way outta control.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgage-Mayor
    In all honesty I had the opportunity for free tickets to the Rams/Falcons game, but I passed on the tickets and watched the game on TV. I simply didnít want to put up with the hassle from Falcon fans in their dome, and Falcon fans are a rather benign group.
    I would have skipped that game also. The falcon fans seem to be pretty mean. Perhaps it's a reflection of their coach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

While I agree that it was a poor decision to put her in the stands, there's no excuse for fans acting that way. It's a poor reflection of the sport and deters attendance.

radjohns is offline Registered User

The media sure loves to focus on Eagles' fans and I suppose that more than a few of their fans deserve the admonitions. However, having witnessed Bills fans firsthand I can honestly say that there are losers in every stadium. As an opposing fan you take your own chances when you where your colours into enemy territory. It does not excuse what the drunken losers say or do to opposing team fans, but you're taking your chances when take your show on the road.

As far as the wives of team players go, I agree with the sentiments already expressed here. Why on earth would they not be sitting behind the team bench, or up in a suite somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    While I agree that it was a poor decision to put her in the stands, there's no excuse for fans acting that way. It's a poor reflection of the sport and deters attendance.
    So Nick do you think this is a nice and sweet sport? You may notice football contains quite a bit of violence and the media builds on it.

Have you seen the commercial that they have running now where NE players are running around saying "not in my house" over and over again? Do they look all professional and unemotional?

Fans get all caught up in the hype and plenty of stadiums have fans that are rude and obnoxious. The Eagles fans do have a big reputation, but others are not far behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    So Nick do you think this is a nice and sweet sport? You may notice football contains quite a bit of violence and the media builds on it.

Have you seen the commercial that they have running now where NE players are running around saying "not in my house" over and over again? Do they look all professional and unemotional?

Fans get all caught up in the hype and plenty of stadiums have fans that are rude and obnoxious. The Eagles fans do have a big reputation, but others are not far behind.
    Yes, it's a violent sport. It's supposed to be...for the players. There's no excuse for "fans" to act that way. Not groupthink, not getting caught up in the moment, nothing excuses "fans" for pouring beer and spitting on people.

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    So Nick do you think this is a nice and sweet sport?
    Of course not, and I sincerely hope the intention of your post is not to excuse this kind of behavior based on the content of what's being watched. There is absolutely no excuse for fans to behave in this manner, regardless of how violent or emotional a game is.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Of course not, and I sincerely hope the intention of your post is not to excuse this kind of behavior based on the content of what's being watched. There is absolutely no excuse for fans to behave in this manner, regardless of how violent or emotional a game is.
    I am not making excuses for this kind of behavior and I don't participate in it myself. I don't like fans that act rudely, but it is a reality in many places and people need to be aware of it so that they stay safe.

Believing that people should and will behave is nice, it is just not realistic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast