Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Cutler to the Bears

From PFT:

Bears Give Up Big Package For Cutler
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 5:20 p.m.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the Chicago Bears have sent two first-round picks, a third-round pick, and quarterback Kyle Orton to the Broncos for quarterback Jay Cutler and a fifth-round draft pick.

The Bears held the 18th pick in the first round of the draft.

Per NFLPA records, Orton is signed through 2009, at a base salary of $995,000.
    Permalink | Comments Back to Top
    Broncos Send Cutler To Chicago!
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 5:16 p.m.

At a time when the tea leaves were pointing to a trade that would have sent quarterback Jay Cutler from the Broncos to the Redskins, NFL.com reports that the Broncos have announced that Cutler has been traded to the Bears.

As of this posting, there’s no story — just a headline.

Stay tuned.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

Re: Cutler to the Bears

do you think the broncos would be willing to trade up with us to get stafford or sanchez if the lions dont take him?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jackson3909 View Post
    do you think the broncos would be willing to trade up with us to get stafford or sanchez if the lions dont take him?
    Since they explicitly said that they didn't want the #1 overall earlier, I doubt it.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Cutler traded to Chicago

How do you think this will affect the draft? Does it open up more trade possibilities? Denver now has Chicago's 1st round pick (next year's also).

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Cutler traded to Chicago

Cutler going to Bears
    By John Clayton ESPN.com

The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.

The Broncos confirmed the trade.

To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, along with a third-round pick in 2009.

To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a fifth-round pick in 2009. That pick was acquired by the Broncos from the Seattle Seahawks in a trade for wide receiver Keary Colbert.

The Bears beat out the Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Titans and other teams to get land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback.

The Broncos had been asking for at least two first-round choices.

Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots.

On Tuesday, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen released a statement saying both he and McDaniels had been unable to get Cutler to call them back during the past 10 days. Cutler also had been staying away from the offseason program.

As a result, the team decided to trade Cutler, whom they were convinced "no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos."

According to NFL senior analyst Chris Mortensen, however, Cutler replied, "No," in a text message when asked whether Bowlen had directly tried to contact him.

Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, said the Broncos first got in touch with him on Tuesday.

"The perception that they've been burning the phone lines the last 10 days is wrong," Cook said. "In fact, the other day I asked Jay if he had heard from them and he said, 'No.' I didn't hear from them until yesterday [Tuesday] morning when [GM] Brian Xanders called me and said that Mr. Bowlen needs to speak with Jay now. I told him all I can do is leave Jay a message.

"I didn't reach Jay directly -- I don't know what he was doing -- but I left a message. Then Brian called at the end of the day and asked me if I had heard from him. I hadn't. I heard from Jay when he called to tell me he just saw on TV he was being traded. They can spin it the way they want to spin it."

At first, McDaniels had faith he could repair the strained relationship with his temperamental quarterback -- if only he could get him to call him back. On Tuesday, he became convinced that just wasn't going to happen.

Cutler is halfway through the six-year, $48 million contract he signed as the 11th overall pick out of Vanderbilt in the 2006 draft. He's 17-20 as Broncos starter, although that's misleading because of Denver's dismal defense

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, that's a lot of compensation. Glad the Rams didn't participate in that.

As for Denver, they may make a move up with one of their picks and the Bears' third rounder if a QB slips. I don't see them moving up into the top five though. No one wants those picks because of the money.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great trade for the bears. Franchise qb vs the crap shoot of the draft. Young and immensely talented, 13-1 record in games where his team gave up 21 points or less. Tons of upside. Those picks look great on paper and on value charts, but this guy has performed and performed very well in his first two nfl seasons. Of course he needs to mature and he handled this poorly, but with a fresh start, i think he continues to improve. You have to give quality to get quality.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

As for Denver, they may make a move up with one of their picks and the Bears' third rounder if a QB slips. I don't see them moving up into the top five though. No one wants those picks because of the money.
    I agree. All those picks AND a solid player in Orton. I'd have been apoplectic if The Rams had gone for that deal.

Presumably Bulger's value would have been higher but still...

Busy day in Bear-ville with the Pace signing as well.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

College dorm with about 90% Bears fans. Its almost like they won the Super Bowl today

While it was a LOT to give up, I personally think it works out well for Da Bears. At least I'll have something interesting to watch on Sunday afternoon, Cutler bombing it to Hester-Bears games are the only thing FOX likes to show in Central Illinois.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Agreed big time. I have the strangest feeling this whole thing is going to blow up in their faces.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Seems like an awful lot for a guy that Denver was more than willing to try and unload. I guess we'll see if Cutler can handle the weight of being the Bears savior.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

There are very few players in the league I'd really entertain trading that much for. Cutler isn't one of them. Granted, draft picks are just potential, but you can't build a team without them. The only way I think a team goes for this is if they think they just need that one last piece to put them over the top.

Well, seeing how their track record the last ten years drafting in the first round isn't spectacular I think the Bears may get the last laugh. Cutler can play, if he settles down. It won't be this year I don't think because of the lack of weapons on the WR corp. However, who knows what's up the Bears sleeve the rest of the offseason?

Revelstoke Guest

Rather than start another thread I'll toss this out to you guys here. I was curious to see some Bear fans reaction to the deal so I checked out the Bears MB and came across this little gem:

pdxbearsfan
    It has certainly not been in my lifetime that Da Bears had a QB who could be ranked near the top of the NFL, until now.

When you look at the top QB's around the league where would you rate them?

My list:

Brady or P. Manning #1, then Drew Brees, C. Palmer, maybe Big Ben, but much lower if on a different team. Other good QB's are Eli, Romo, McNabb, P. Rivers and K. Warner.

When you look at the list of current skill, age and potential etc. I have to put Cutler right after Brady/Manning or close behind Brees and Palmer.
    Now I like Cutler I think hes got all the right tools to be a very good QB for a very long time, once the attitude gets adjusted.

But to say that he belongs behind Brady and Manning and ahead of the other guys listed?? WOW!

I guess when you give up 2 first rounders a third rounder and a quality player you have to justify it somehow. . .

Yea, and some of our fans for the last two years have said we have the talent to win. All a matter of perspective I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast