Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Defensive end Aaron Schobel on the market?

Let's start with the DE situation. There is still a desire among many at The Park to address this position if possible. Problem is, there ain't much out there. Aaron Schobel remains the one quality end who could end up getting traded. Spoke to a bunch of execs and sources around the league the last few weeks and they all had the same feeling - he could end up getting moved.

Most personnel guys don't think Oakland will do anything with Derrick Burgess, and the market for ends is small, they say. The Bears, originally asking for the second round pick for DE Alex Brown, have come off that demand, I heard, and still want to move him. The Redskins have not been in the mix for Brown and overall, the interest league-wide has been tepid. However, interestingly enough, my football people tell me Buffalo is one team to consider Brown, particularly as a legit option should they end up dealing Schobel.

In fact, I hear the Bears and Bills think there is potential for a trade of Brown to Buffalo should it ever get to that stage ... but that's still a longshot. Schobel has been a beast and offers a rare commodity with his proven pass-rush ability. He's signed for two more years and the Bills don't have to do a thing with him. After sitting out a week or so of OTAs in Buffalo, Schobel reported last week, but from what I heard he isn't happy. Far from it He wants a new deal (get in line, 'cause that's an epidemic these days), particularly after seeing all the crazy money the usually tight-wadded franchise threw around on outsiders in free agency this year (sounds like what happened in these parts a year ago, eh?).

I have heard that Schobel has a tremendous relationship with Gregg Williams, and I know that these coaches think highly of Aaron from what he did in Buffalo (many on this staff have coached him before). But I also know there has been no contact between the Redskins and Bills. If the Bills do decide to trade him to alleviate a potentially nasty situation - and, again, there is no reason they HAVE to do this in any way - then I would imagine the Redskins to be a player for him. However, if Buffalo did trade him they would want a high draft pick for him, and that would not be a slam dunk.

So I guess what I am saying is, it's still worth keeping an eye on.
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redsk...l?nav=rss_blog

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Defensive end Aaron Schobel on the market?

The Rams should try and get his guy to help out with the pass rush. I wonder though what would happen if they moved J. Hall around, just like they did with carriker. Or they could just use him as a situational pass-rusher. Either way look out who we would have.

having:
    Schobel/Hall/Vic A? RE
    Carriker NT
    Glover/Kennedy/ DT
    Little/Wroten LE

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Defensive end Aaron Schobel on the market?

Schobel is definitely worth a look see.:r

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Schobel would be an immediate starter on the line, and James Hall would end up providing more then adequete depth

Rambos is offline Registered User

Defensive Stats
    Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
    2001 Buffalo Bills 16 42 31.0 11 6.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
    2002 Buffalo Bills 16 52 34.0 18 8.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
    2003 Buffalo Bills 16 60 37.0 23 11.5 1 6 6.0 6 0 2
    2004 Buffalo Bills 16 73 45.0 28 8 0 0 0.0 0 0 3
    2005 Buffalo Bills 16 71 54.0 17 12 1 0 0.0 0 0 4
    2006 Buffalo Bills 16 53 35.0 18 14 0 0 0.0 0 0 3
    TOTAL 96 351 236.0 115 60.5 2 6 3.0 6 0 16

14 sacks last year 12 the year before, sign him. We are thin at DE.

Anybody know what the current status of this is? I haven't heard to much about it, but the coaching staff needs to pounce on this one. Schobel is coming off his best sack season, the guy's a machine. Plus we already would have James Hall, and this would work will in the rotation. Not to mention this well make the young guys alot better by learning from himself, Little, and Hall.

general counsel is offline Registered User

guys, its not as simple as sign him and pay him. they are going to want a #1 for him if they trade him at all

ramming speed to all

general counsel

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    The Rams should try and get his guy to help out with the pass rush. I wonder though what would happen if they moved J. Hall around, just like they did with carriker. Or they could just use him as a situational pass-rusher. Either way look out who we would have.

having:
    Schobel/Hall/Vic A? RE
    Carriker NT
    Glover/Kennedy/ DT
    Little/Wroten LE
    Wrotten is a good pass rusher but LE no way. I also like this idea getting a proven pass rusher like him, but he is 29 and we want to get younger, therefore i wouldn't give up a first. I would give up a second and a later pick.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    guys, its not as simple as sign him and pay him. they are going to want a #1 for him if they trade him at all

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yeah, but we should still look at the offer. If the defense improves, we can get a receiver in the first round next year, so I wouldn't mind giving up a 2nd and 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prof22693

having:
    Schobel/Hall/Vic A? RE
    Carriker NT
    Glover/Kennedy/ DT
    Little/Wroten LE

Wrotten is a good pass rusher but LE no way. I also like this idea getting a proven pass rusher like him, but he is 29 and we want to get younger, therefore i wouldn't give up a first. I would give up a second and a later pick.
    Wasn't he an end in college? just curious. I know that doesn't translate to one in the NFL, but that's just a look at our D-Line. Yes it would be a good idea to get him, he still has some gas left and he could help the youngsters. Leonard Little isn't so young either, eventually in a few years we will need to draft a replacement. I'm just saying it's not a bad idea to get a proven guy when we're thin on the troops, then we can think long-term.

By the way how do we show multiple quotes and quotes of quotes?
    Last edited by prof22693; -06-09-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: to save the world